Sledgstone

PlayStation 4 Major Update

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/29/major-ps4-system-update-out-tomorrow-updates-for-ps-vita-and-ps-app/

• SHAREfactory: After you update your PS4 to v1.70, an icon to download our free SHAREfactory app will appear on your PS4 system’s home screen once it’s available. Once installed, SHAREfactory allows you to easily customize your gameplay videos with special effects, video commentary with picture-in-picture capability through PlayStation Camera, and custom soundtracks using the included audio tracks or your original music imported from a USB drive. You can then share your videos on Facebook or export them to an external USB storage device. The app is packed with plenty of cool, but accessible, tools. It’s simple enough to use for beginning editors, while functioning as a rich video editor for those with more creative aspirations. Check out our new SHAREfactory video that provides a walkthrough of what you can expect:

• Automatic Pre-download: No more waiting until after a game is released to start downloading select pre-ordered games from PlayStation Store. This new feature allows you to get to your games faster by automatically downloading select pre-ordered games up to several days in advance of the release, so that it’s ready to play as soon as the game is released on launch day. There’s also a countdown timer prior to the release of the game so you’ll know how soon your game will be available for you to start playing.
  • Option to Disable HDCP for Games: This highly requested feature will allow you to have the option to turn off HDCP for games so you can capture longer gameplay sessions directly from your HDMI output and export them elsewhere.
  • USB Export Option for Captured Gameplay: It’s now even easier to show off your heroic gaming moments and the SHAREfactory videos you create with the world using this feature to export your videos and screenshots to a USB drive. Just click on the DUALSHOCK 4 SHARE button, save your gameplay on a USB drive, and then share your proudest achievements on other social networks and other video platforms.
  • Live Broadcasting in HD and Archiving Support: We’ve increased the resolution for live broadcasts so you and your friends can watch games livestreamed in 720p HD. You can also archive your broadcasts on Twitch or Ustream and watch them again later.
  • New SHARE Options: We’ve got a number of new SHARE settings that will give you better control of what you want to share with your friends. Here is what you can look forward to:
    • Change the default gameplay recording time in the SHARE menu under Video Clip Settings.
    • Save only the video clips and screenshots you want by selecting Upload Screenshots or Upload Video Clips for each capture. Also upload video clips and screenshots during your live gameplay broadcasts.
    • Select specific Facebook audiences to share each video or screenshot with.
  • New DUALSHOCK 4 Options: New light bar settings have been added for DUALSHOCK 4, allowing you to change it to Bright, Medium or Dim in the Settings menu. The touchpad has also been updated, allowing you to navigate the on-screen keyboard using the DUALSHOCK 4 touchpad.
  • New Friends Options: It’s now easier to find Friends and send requests with the ability to search Friends-of-Friends, view Mutual Friends on another user’s profile, and accept Friend requests directly from the Friends list.
  • New Trophies Sort Option: You can now sort Trophies by rarity in the Options menu.
  • PlayStation Store Payment Support: Similar to PS3, we’re introducing Alternative Payment Methods (APMs) for PS4 for content purchased on PS Store, starting with PayPal support.
  • More PlayStation Camera Commands: More voice commands are added to PlayStation Camera, allowing you to launch the apps installed on your PS4 with the sound of your voice.
  • New PlayStation Plus Icon: For Plus members, you’ll now have the PS Plus icon appear next to your SEN ID on the login screen, home screen and other areas across the PS4 system’s sleek user interface.
  • Music Unlimited SHARE Options: With a Music Unlimited subscription, you can easily share your favorite songs with your friends by pressing the SHARE button on your DUALSHOCK 4.

I'm updating my system now. The touchpad keyboard functionality should be a good improvement. This update should also finally fix the Share button not saving the correct video. I'll have to play some BF4 this weekend just to get some video captures to see how it all works now. :D

This post has been promoted to an article

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Speaking of gamestop, I'm going to email them later to find out if buying the ps4 digital version of destiny from them includes all pre - order bonuses. If it does, then we'd be better off buying digital games from then instead of the psn store.. unless gamestop only gives out the code at midnight. . Maybe they'll give everyone their redeemable codes the day before launch to ensure pre loading.

Any preorder bonus I've ever received hasn't impressed me too much. I guess its because of the genre of games I play. If its an in game item, its something I'll discard pretty quickly when I find something better. Like the white outfit on watchdogs.

Big companies like EA and Acti could eventually start wanting more direct profits and start offering discouts through PS4 and XB1 digital down pre-orders. Something as simple as $10 cheaper. Or like EA did with Titanfall where the season pass was half price when you preordered the bundle through Origin. I have no doubt Sony and MS want a model that's somewhat like Steam, but after the reaction that XB1 got building up to launch, Sony knew, and MS now knows its going to have to be a slow and gradual process.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I give credit to Sony tho, they do have some good prices on their random flash sales in the PSN store. I've seen that new remastered Tomb Raider in there for 50% off a couple times, same with a few of those indie games too. Once a larger selection of titles are available as digital on PS4, I'll check that store more often just to see if there is a flash sale going on.

I agree about the pre-order bonuses. Most of them don't seem to add any real value.