http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/03/call-of-duty-microtransactions/

Activision will add in-game purchases to Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 beginning Wednesday, according to the blog of Activision spokesman Dan Amrich.

The so-called “Micro Items” will include aesthetic customization options, which Activision describes as being “like dress-up for your favorite weapons.” One specific example given: “The Bacon Personalization Pack,” which will cover your gun in greasy, delicious bacon. These will cost two bucks a pop.

Aside from the silly aesthetic stuff like the bacon gun camo, Activision is also now selling upgrades that give players more slots for customized weapon loadouts, as well as maps and modes that were previously only available to gamers who bought the more expensive limited-edition versions of Black Ops 2.

And thus did microtransactions finally come to Call of Duty.

This was an inevitability, one long in the making. Speaking at the Game Monetization Summit in San Francisco last year, Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter told an audience that Activision was screwing up by not charging players more for access to Call of Duty’s multiplayer component.

“[Activision] trained gamers that you can buy a game and play it all year, ten hours a week, forever, and you never have to pay again,” Pachter said. “The World of Warcraft guys are paying $180 a year, and the Call of Duty guys are paying $60. So who’s got a better model?” he asked.

This is not the first attempt by Activision to apply a new payment scheme to the shooter games, which start at $60 each at retail.

I'm not interested in paying $2 to cover my gun in bacon. I've already spent enough money on this game.. My only concern will be if they start selling things that will give people an advantage.

Battlefield has done the microtransactions for a while now. Buy some new dog tags, etc. But when BF3 started selling vehicle and class unlocks I felt pretty pissed off. The amount of time it took me to get all those unlocks to get better weapons available and now people can pay money and have an advantage over others that don't have heat seekers unlocked on jets or something. The only reason I can understand these unlock purchases are because people have already put their time in on the game but on a different console or PC and don't want to play 80 hours to get the same unlocks again.

I still don't like it tho. I hope Call of Duty doesn't start doing that either. Its all about money.. and with all the new money they'll make from selling $2 bacon skins, will they re-invest that money into improving the game and maybe getting some actual servers? No.. instead I'll be stuck getting killed by some bacon gun right after another laggy server migration. x_x

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

BF has done this since bad company 2. its not that big of a deal for them because weapons dont overpower anything really. Its just based on what you prefer. COD is different though. Black Ops 1 was sweet because COD cash let you buy whatever gun you wanted and sight, rectile shape and everything. Now they are charging for it. I don't like that, but it doesnt affect gameplay. I hope no one pays for these stupid thing to send them a message.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!