Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

Display settings to watch stuffs on tv

Since I got Vista, I've struggled with getting stuff on my tv set cos of all the complicated (in my head) stuff/ settings cos I suck at everything that needs changing hehehe ...

So, I hook up my HDMI cable to the tv set. Then I hit up Control Panel and Display Settings. What do I do next?

And also, help in terms of giving me steps so that when I turn the lid down, and I'm watching a movie, nothing goes blank on the tv!!! The first time I tried it, that's exactly what happened and I got uber scared.

Help *pout*

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Did you install the latest drivers for your video card? If its a nvidia chip, go to nvidia's site and get the latest drivers. Install them, then run the nvidia application that installs with the drivers to auto-detect the 2nd monitor and set all the settings. Your laptop is a sony right? maybe there is a walkthrough on sony's site?

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I think it's all installed, I'm guessing it's a setting thing on Control Panel or Display cos I did manage to connect it when I first got the HDMI cable when the Vaio was new (late Oct), and I could see my desktop on the tv. Then I had to choose which was monitor 1 or 2 and that jazz. I dragged my video screen from the laptop on to the tv, and when I closed the lid, it blanked out X'D ... on the laptop and the tv ... and now, if I connect the cable, my laptop's blank, but my tv has my desktop ... and I can browse, etc. So in a way, it's cool, but I hope there're no burn-out issues later on ... browsing AC on the big screen ist as sweet as melons.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

If the entire display is switching to the tv once it's plugged in, then you have to change the settings to have 2 displays again. And you can't close the lid on the laptop and expect the video to keep playing on the tv. Laptops are generally set to auto-hibernate or turn off the display when you close the lid. So you probably have to look for another setting to turn that off somewhere. Maybe its in the power management section of your control panel? I don't know. Maybe you can set the secondary monitor to stay on, while shutting off the laptop display, while also keeping your system out of hibernation? *shrugs* you have to explore the settings. :P Maybe eppy can walk you thru some settings? Your laptops are very very similar. :nod:

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Gaaaaaahhh too complicated XD ... why don't I just give you guys access to my laptop ... *thumbs up* ... all you gotta do is log right into it using a website, and voila! XD

With XP I set it up so my laptop is primary and I could drag stuff on the tv. Right now it's the other way around, the tv is primary and I can drag stuff on to the laptop screen. It's cool that I browse the internetz on the big screen, AC fun etc. Vista is like a newborn kid, too delicate for me to tinker with. Heck, I was scared of XP too hahaha.