Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Pentagon: Zombie Pigs First, Then Hibernating Soldiers

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/12/pentagon-zombie-pigs-first-then-hibernating-gis/

Around half of U.S. troop fatalities are caused by blood loss from battlefield injuries. Now, with another 30,000 troops deploying to Afghanistan, the Pentagon is pushing for medical advances that can save more lives during combat. The Defense Department’s latest research idea: Stop bleeding injuries by turning pigs into the semi-undead. If it works out, we humans could be the next ones to be zombified.

Military’s mad-science arm Darpa has awarded $9.9 million to the Texas A&M Institute for Preclinical Studies (TIPS), to develop treatments that can extend a “golden period” when injured war fighters have the best chance of coming back from massive blood loss. Odds of survival plummet after an hour — during combat, that kind of quick evacuation, triage and treatment is often impossible.

The institute’s research will be based on previous Darpa-funded efforts. One project, at Stanford University, hypothesized that humans could one day mimic the hibernation abilities of squirrels — who emerge from winter months no worse for wear — using a pancreatic enzyme we have in common with the critters. The other, led by Dr. Mark Roth at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, used nematode worms and rats to test how hydrogen sulfide could block the body’s ability to use oxygen — creating a kind of “suspended animation” where hearts stop beating and wounds don’t bleed. After removing 60 percent of the rat’s blood, Dr. Roth managed to keep the critters alive for 10 hours using his hydrogen sulfide cocktail.

The next logical step: Try the same thing on pigs. They’ve got a similar cardiovascular system to humans, and TIPS researchers Theresa Fossum and Matthew Miller think they can accurately predict human results from the swine trials. Using anesthetized pigs, the doctors are testing various compounds, some containing hydrogen sulfide, to find one that can safely keep the hemorrhaging animals “as close to death as possible.”

With a 15-person team working exclusively on the project, the institute anticipates successful results within 18 months. “Darpa wants this to happen yesterday, because it was needed yesterday,” Dr. Miller told Danger Room. Once the team comes up with the right elixir, it’ll undergo federally mandated safety testing. After that, the zombie vaccine will be sent to the battlefield for human application.

Dr. Fossum predicts that each soldier will carry a syringe into combat zones or remote areas, and medic teams will be equipped with several. A single injection will minimize metabolic needs, de-animating injured troops by shutting down brain and heart function. Once treatment can be carried out, they’ll be “re-animated” and — hopefully — as good as new.

From rats, to pigs, to troops — to civilians. Dr. Miller anticipates dozens of medical applications, including the preservation of organs before transplants and suspension of life-threatening emergencies, like heart attacks and strokes. “Everybody’s talking about the military use of this, and that’s our focus now,” he says. “But really, this could be much, much bigger than that.”

Before you know it, this will mutate into a T-Virus like in resident evil. O_O

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

thats sick

where the hell is PETA in all this?

I think these freaks should be forced to watch Gundam Wing and memorize Triez lines. Treiz is correct. When human mortality is no longer part of war and life on the battlefield the fight itself loses its meaning. Wars end when one side experiences intolerable losses. No life lost, no need to stop. War is death, war is hell. Removing human mortality from combat and war becomes who can make the biggest mess, the biggest slob wins.

No no a thousand times no. Turning our soldiers into freaks of nature for military benefit is sick. If the DOD wants to save our troops lives negotiate a cease fire and peace treaties.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I'm fairly sure that a soldier wounded seriously enough to actually die on the battlefield would probally not be going back into battle if they recover. If this helps save lives, I think it'd be worth doing, if it can be done safely. Actually, if it does work, I think having to use this would be a good way to give those soldiers a ticket home. I mean, if you're hurt badly enough that you would've died without it, I think that means your job is done and should be allowed to go home.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

thats sick

where the hell is PETA in all this?

I think these freaks should be forced to watch Gundam Wing and memorize Treize lines. Treize is correct. When human mortality is no longer part of war and life on the battlefield the fight itself loses its meaning. Wars end when one side experiences intolerable losses. No life lost, no need to stop. War is death, war is hell. Removing human mortality from combat and war becomes who can make the biggest mess, the biggest slob wins.

No no a thousand times no. Turning our soldiers into freaks of nature for military benefit is sick. If the DOD wants to save our troops lives negotiate a cease fire and peace treaties.

But isn't the "War On Terror" or whatever Obama is pushing under the rug as still meaningless even with out Zombie Soldiers?

Beside that Treize was referring to Mobile Dolls aka Robots. Do you share this same view when it comes to the Remote Controlled Robots that have become a way to avoid death in hostile situations?

And this war isn't meant to be won. Civilians are being killed in the cross fire which makes more people their want to become terrorists. In order for this war to truely end it would have to come to the same conclusion The Vietnam War did.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

the war on terror (or whatever) AND the war on drugs are both fail. Chasing shadows at noon time -_-;

Unfortunately unless yer minus limbs even if you nearly die in battle yer going back to Afghanistan only now you have a medal. Experienced combat personnel is valuable whether ya almost died or not-_-;

If a drone can go in and photograph or bomb a rabbit hole without killing good guys and civilians do it up, but people are still going to die, there is a mortality rate tied to this action.

Treiz got it that without human loss war loses its meaning and there is no reason to stop. (Dolls vs dolls is futile)

War's end when one side says 'we've lost enough lives, there has been enough destruction of property in the place I am defending/launching attacks from, we surrender'

If nobody dies what the fuck? It goes back to who makes the biggest mess wins. Thats godamn retarded.

We don't need to make wars more pleasant and survivable we need to make them obsolete.

If this procedure or inoculation or whatever could be used for triage in ambulances or on patients going through risky surgery that would be one thing, a thing between the individual and their health care provider, but constantly shooting shit into our soldiers like they are the fucking lab rats is sick outta control bullshit.

gah sorry tired. hope that I explained my position clearly.

I need coffee....

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I just think you're putting too much emphasis on the word zombie. (Jokingly maybe it'll convert terrorists into nerds... Just the thought "Boom! Headshot" in Arabic is funny) But just because they're it's similar to Zombies doesn't mean they're Zombies.

The emphasis has been on saving lives on the battlefield with this. Where as Mobile Dolls were just programmed to remove lives from the battlefield with those.

Glad we can agree on the pointlessness of the War On Terror & the War On Drugs. But...

1. The WOT will continue on the other side to be an act of revenge for occupying & supporting their enemies while there loved ones get caught in the cross fire.
  2. The WOD will continue because "Big Brother" thought it was a good idea to ban something with a lot of demand thus creating an illegal business that can guarantee a whole lot of profit.

So you have 2 other sides either in it for revenge, profit, or both. Then you have the US political side in it for ego boosting, war profiting, & aiming for people who want to go to college. The wars are not nation(s) vs. nation(s). They're intended to be the worst rendition of "The Song That Never Ends".

But all that aside when was the last time you think there was a justifiable war? Because looking back on WW1 that was the US's fault for sending a ship of civilians into hostile German waters. And the Pearl Harbor attacked happened because the US tried to isolate Japan from its war with China.

And finally

Treize Khushrenada is / was a decent looking, sophisticated, nutbar. He had OZ destroy their higher ups, the UESA. And was looking forward to Epyon vs Tallgeese II in the battle he was about to have with White Fang. He only finds the Mobile Dolls ugly because he thinks there is beauty in the "ultimate sacrifice".

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

if there is one thing our govt has loved since the beginning it is war. southern plantation owners didn't want to give up their free energy/labor. Petrol powered tractors and harvesters have made slaves mostly obsolete in this country.

the wot will not end until our country is energy independent. our troops aren't over there to get the bad guys they're guarding pipelines. the chances of binladen being alive are slim; between the bombing and his own health issues, personally I think he's already kicked the bucket. the wars of attrition will continue on and on so long as we have hundreds of military bases world wide and practice nation building. As long as we have bomb bomb bomb bomb Iran mentality in power they will continue to do that which benefits the super rich; wars for resources. Just imagine if Exxon had to fight their own battles, they'd be labeled international war criminals so they have our military do the killing and taking and guarding for them.

we didn't go into Iraq for terrorists or wmd; there weren't any. Saddam was a bastard but his iron fist kept the bad guys out and civil war at bay. we went in because asshole Bush wanted to avenge his pops and Cheeny wanted the cash flow going to Haliburton and big oil well, that one is obvious.

fucked up religions also have to take their share of the blame. as long as people are devoted to bronze age rhetoric there will be wars. its soooo fucking primitive to fight over whose god and rules are #1. Until these dumb shits drop the bullshit and get with the times there will be problems. Just look at the shit going on here because of religious fuckbags. they gladly repress the civil rights and liberties of others all while waiting for a big fuckin war so their deity can return to earth. All the evangelicals, rapturists and rad muslims need to just fucking die. I vote we kill em all via arena gladiator fights. they wanna be primitives, they should die like them.

the war on drugs wont end because prisons are big business as is all the prosecution and defense of drug criminals. Big tabacco big pharma and big alcohol make too much money to allow a new kid like weed on the block. I do see the decriminalization and legalization of weed on the horizon. as ppl are waking from the republican induced coma they are being educated and enlightened to what the variety of illegal substance does to an individual and thus society. Every 38 seconds someone in this country is arrested for violating cannibis laws. Its flippin tarded as most of these folks are non violent 'criminals'; at least until they're tossed in jail for a few years -_-; if lawmakers wanted to make society safer they would legalize tax and control substance, that would take a lovely cut out of the drug cartels wallet. If we treated the drug addicted as patients instead of criminals and got them treatment instead of a jail sentence.... ahhhh dream big.

Justifiable war? pfffft WW1 we deliberately sent a civilian ship into hostile waters because the govt wanted in on war profit. Same shit w/ pearl harbor, they knew what was coming but needed an excuse to get in the war to lift us out of an economic depression. A justifiable war would be a country straight up asking us to help (dun happen too often now do it) or us retaliating after an attack on our own.

After 9/11 we should have just carpet bombed the fuck out of every known al q hidey hole, we did know where they were; cia nsa dod aren't stupid. While bombing Afganastan we shoulda "accidently" taken out the taliban. Instead there was minimal action and we went to Iraq where al q was not. WTF. makes one wonder if al q even had shit to do with 9/11 seeing as how our govt didn't care to finish them off. now they've had the better part of a decade to entrench and recruit. fabulous.

I think zombie is the closest description we have in the eng lang as we don't have a slang word for those trapped in suspended animation yet.

Millardo Peacecraft was way better looking then Treiz.....

does that cover everything?

tired bitter bitch over and out :P

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Pretty much, although

I'd be against getting involved in another nation's war even if they asked. US has that problem with Israel already.

I'm pretty sure the "zombified" soldiers are not undead / reanimated / etc like actual zombies. So I don't see how they compare in any shape or form to Mobile Dolls.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      https://www.humblebundle.com/capcom-rising-bundle
      This looks like good capcom deal. A bunch of Resident Evil and Dead Rising games. I love killing zombies.
    • By Sledgstone
      Ok then. I did not see this coming. Who needs stealth mechanics and espionage when theres a horde of zombies to kill.
    • By Sledgstone
      Seems like Rick takes charge and goes a bit cran on everyone with power. Talk about a 180 from his farming days at the prison.
    • By Sledgstone
      Seems like Rick takes charge and goes a bit cran on everyone with power. Talk about a 180 from his farming days at the prison.
      Click here to view the article
    • By Sledgstone
      Anybody watching Z Nation? Its no Walking Dead, but this show is starting to make a fan out of me. Its like a Syfy zombie movie turned into a series with better acting and plots. The first 10 minutes of episode 3 got me laughing pretty damn hard after everybody on the road kept getting brutally murdered.

If you haven't watched this yet, I recommend it. Just don't expect any kind of TWD quality.