Sign in to follow this  
gokuDX7

Just got a Motorola Droid

Thing is amazing. I was honestly expecting it to fall short when comparing it to an iPhone but I can honestly say this thing is on equal ground. It has far more options to customize just about everything. You can literally make it look like the iphone if you wanted too. I think the only draw back is that Verizon had Google disable pinch zoom for the default apps. I suppose Apple's paten on touch screen zoom is just vague enough to scare Verizon :(. The up side is since the OS (android) is open source, anyone can just download the multi touch version, compile it, and install it on the phone or just wait till programmers release multi touch versions of the web browser to android market :P.

Regardless, if anyone is thinking about getting a smart phone this year definitely check out the Droid.

Oh and it's far cheaper if your on a family plan. A single plan costs about $100 a month before hidden fees. Family (depending on what package you have) costs around $80 before hidden fees. It's unlimited web and email though so the price is pretty good. You could watch youtube all day if you wanted too :P.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

i have the HTC Hero. and i love it too

android OS is excellent, HTC's sense UI imo is better then Motos UI but the specs on the droid are far better

also i prefer moto's physical keyboard, and HTC have said atm they are only making touch screens as they believe thats what the market is moving too (aka they are wannabe apple designers)

mine has the slide unlock feature (lock 2.0) from the market

tip for android users: download app installer from the market place

then download paid versions of the apps from the internet on your PC for free (not sure where from, my bro gets them), drop it onto your SD card, and app installer will install it for you.

apps i recommend: Nubi news, Meebo IM. i Music, shazem, OI file manager, Advance task Manager

i have a few widgets downloaded, but get that to suit you

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

HTC is using Android 1.5 right? 2.0 is way faster upgrade when and if you can. I was testing out the HTC Droid Eris and could notice the difference since that runs on 1.5. I'm sad that ahome theme engine doesn't work on android 2.0 :(. I keep getting a program error.

sig.php

yes im on 1.5 droid is the only one running on 2.0

some phones run on 1.6 (magic, g1)

but atm i HTC needs to develop 2.0 to work with their UI,

if it doesnt happen soon, ill email them asking them why is there updates so inferior to the competition

sigpic1620_11.gif

it wont, in phones were pc's then

apple is windows and android is mac ;p

found this:

HTC have confirmed to us that they’ll be offering an update to Android 2.0 for the HTC Hero. The update means that HTC will be skipping Android 1.6 – as on the HTC Tattoo, for instance – to concentrate on fettling HTC Sense to play nicely with the newest version of Android. However, the company have not given a definitive timescale for the release, asking only that owners “be patient”. Full statement after the cut.

HTC_Hero_SlashGear_51-495x500.jpg

this is what my htc hero looks like btw, the US version was slightly altered physically, personally i perfer this

and mine is unlocked unbranded, so ill get the update 1st

“Yes, we are working on an Eclair update for the HTC Hero. Because Eclair is a significantly enhanced release, it will require some time to update Sense for this new version of the Android OS. Please be patient while we work to provide you with a tightly integrated experience like the one you are already enjoying on your Hero.” HTC statement

The update will be available for both the original European GSM version of the Hero, and CDMA versions; that includes the Sprint Hero, but also various smaller regional operator versions. However distribution of the update for carrier-branded versions of the handset will require negotiation between HTC and those carriers, so it might not be released as early as software for the unlocked GSM model.

Android 2.0 brings with it native Exchange support, together with the new beta of Google Maps Navigation. This app, announced yesterday and already found on the Verizon DROID by Motorola, promises turn-by-turn directions, POI and voice-control.

Edited by Kite

sigpic1620_11.gif

honestly..... I don't even want a cell phone. :picknose:

I caved in and got one only after the car broke down when I was driving alone on gorge road at dusk. :soul:

I got the stupid thing in case I had another unexpected problem and so I could be reached in regards to the kiddies if I was out of the house. I don't hear the house phones when I'm outback in the gardens.

I don't need a full blown computer in my cell phone. I have a laptop for that. I do not need to be online 24/7 I choose when to devote some time to being online, not my tecky toys. If I have to sit in a waiting room for an appointment I bring along this thing called a book. Its made of paper and has knowledge and stories hidden inside :P Yes I know they come in teck toy form now but I do enough reading off of a computer screen and I try to treat my eyes kindly.

I would like a decent camera in the phone so I don't have to drag my camera everywhere to get random snapshots. I use the phone more for texting then talking, a better keyboard would be convenient.

Thats about it...

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Droid has a 5 mega pixel camera and video recorder. The pictures are decent but not as amazing as if you where using a real camera.

PS. the native exchange support costs $45 so if your planning to get any smart phone from verizon just for exchange support, be prepared to pay $45 a month added to whatever you plan is.

On an off note the battery life is surprisingly good compared to my old shit phone that I had for 5 years. The Droid only used 60% of the battery yesterday after 21 hours and 17 mins. Today it only used 30% after 19 hours. I havent been doing anything crazy with the phone so that's probably why. Just using twitter, facebook, phone, and a few games here and there. Setting the screen dim to low saves so much of the batter.

sig.php

ahhh battery! yes, my current thing doesn't hold a charge so well anymore -_-;

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers