Sign in to follow this  
Dubird

Electric cars may be in North Texas by next year

Thought this might interest some of ya'll. ^_^

Source

ARLINGTON — The electric car is heading to North Texas, and motorists might be plugging in as early as next year.

"We are looking for production in 2010. We are very excited about it," said Robert Babik, of General Motors, referring to the Chevrolet Volt. "Electrification has huge potential, but we can’t mess up the launch."

Nissan might beat GM, promising electric vehicles, or EVs, for some markets in 14 months.

Better designs, tax credits and oil prices are among factors making the vehicles increasingly attractive to many motorists.

While getting charged up is easy, keeping the EV running in a world designed for gas-powered cars isn’t.

In hopes of making the transition a turnkey deal, about 70 transit planners, venture capitalists, energy distributors and auto-industry representatives met Thursday at the North Central Texas Council of Governments headquarters to discuss how to create an infrastructure for the new vehicles.

Participants hope it will be the first of a series of such meetings.

"It is very important that we as a region, show support for the vehicles," said Jenny Danieau, of the North Texas council, citing the failure of 10 area counties to meet federal air standards. "This is just one more card in our deck that we can use to clean up the air."

Much of the challenge involves charging vehicles at home. Consumers won’t buy unless cities streamline codes for retrofitting garages to house faster 240-volt chargers.

Automakers figure the cost of running an EV at about one-third that of a comparable gas-powered model, said Mark Perry of Nissan. The all-electric cars will have zero emissions and require no oil changes but will have all the bells and whistles motorists want.

Oncor Electric Delivery’s advanced metering system, or smart meter, will make it easier for EV owners to know when the lowest power rates are available. The meters are to be installed from 2010 through 2012 in Tarrant County.

One hurdle has already been negotiated.

All the cars will have a standard-sized plug, said Guy Mannino, who represented California-based Chargepoint, a chain of planned charging stations. "It’ll be the same everywhere."

The experts are touting a variety of charging systems, but agree that there will be various options: at home, work or commercial stations.

The 120-volt Level 1 chargers, used at home, will fully charge a dead battery in about 16 hours. Level 2 chargers are 240 volts and take about half the time. The commercial-grade fast charger would do the job in two or three hours.

Electricians and permits are needed to install the Level 2 charger at home, which might hurt sales unless the undertaking can be simplified

"It’s a one-day process if everybody can show up at the right time," said Angus Clark of EVOasis, who spoke on green energy and transportable power. "It’s really putting boxes and conduit in that takes the most time."

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Yay!

If I remember my history of GM right this worked in California years ago but they killed the electric car over the service stations... or at least that was their excuse then. Had they not bowed to big oil GM and Cali woulda been way ahead of the curve. Their loss. I rarely say this but way to go Texas!

:goodjob:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Yay!

If I remember my history of GM right this worked in California years ago but they killed the electric car over the service stations... or at least that was their excuse then. Had they not bowed to big oil GM and Cali woulda been way ahead of the curve. Their loss. I rarely say this but way to go Texas!

:goodjob:

You mean this?

http://www.sonyclassics.com/whokilledtheelectriccar/

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Sign in to follow this