Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Texas public schools required to teach Bible this year

By Sara Story

WHITEHOUSE, TX (KLTV) - The school year is almost here, and if literature of the Bible is not already offered in your child's school, it will be this fall.

Books are a common sight in classrooms around the nation, but the Bible is one book that is not. Come this fall, a Texas law says all public schools must offer information relating to the Bible in their curriculum.

"By the end of the year, what they begin to realize is that it is pervasive. You can't get away from it. The kids came back and were like 'It's everywhere,'" said John Keeling, the social studies chair at Whitehouse High School. Whitehouse already offers a Bible elective. "The purpose of a course like this isn't even really to get kids to believe it, per se, it is just to appreciate the profound impact that it has had on our history and on our government."

The law actually passed in 2007, but this will be the first school year it is enforced because the bill says, "The provisions of this act pertaining to a school district do not take effect until the 2009-2010 school year."

This has gained mixed reactions from East Texans.

"I think it is a good thing because a lot of kids don't have that experience, and they already want to take prayer out of school as it is, and you see where our kids are ending up!" said Tyler resident Laura Tucker.

Tyler resident, Havis Tatum, disagrees with Tucker.

"I don't want anybody teaching their religious beliefs to my child unless they want to send their child to my house and let me teach them my religious views," said Tatum. "There is no difference."

School officials said schools have not enforced the law because of confusion over the bill's wording and lack of state funding.

For now, each school district must find a way to fill the requirement before the seats are filled with students.

the bible's influence = murder, genocide, slavery, the abuse of human rights and liberties, self mutilation... I can go on

that this disgusting piece of shit will be openly offered to children by public schools makes me wanna puke and then nuk Texas

Religious texts belong in paid for college theology classes not public schools paid for by ppl of all or no faiths taxes. Totally take a shit on separation of church and state :noway:

again:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkXOwBIRX7Y]YouTube - The Top 10 Reasons Why the Bible is Repulsive[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-slAgzJmdU]YouTube - Why does every intelligent Christian disobey Jesus?[/ame]

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

nothing wrong with religious studies, but you cant teach faith.

teaching people the earth is 3000 years old and Jesus had a pet dinosaur is as bad as stoning women for not dressing like ninjas

faith is for the individual to find in them selves, and the right to choose religion is our right

picture.php?albumid=48&pictureid=653

PS

picture.php?albumid=48&pictureid=665

Edited by Kite

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

I feel sorry for The Atheist Community Of Austin. This goes against what they've been fighting for in their own state.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the US Constitution prohibits the establishment of a national religion by the Congress or the preference of one religion over another, non-religion over religion, or religion over non-religion.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Ok, I'm all for religion of whatever kind you choose (or not choose, that's your right too), but the choice or lack of choice shouldn't be forced onto ANYONE. Private schools, well, you have a choice to send your kids there so whatever. But anything that the government pays for that you're required to go to shouldn't promote religion or lack of religion.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Sign in to follow this