Sign in to follow this  
Kite

Google OS set to take on Windows

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6665703.ece

Google is to launch a new operating system, in its most direct challenge yet to the dominance of Microsoft.

Google Chrome OS will be a development of its Chrome web browser. The search giant initially aims to install the new system on small, low-cost computers known as netbooks, which are currently outselling more powerful personal computers. Google said that it believed the software would eventually be used on PCs as well.

The move is likely to intensify the rivalry between Google and Microsoft, whose Windows operating system is used on the majority of the world’s personal computers. Operating systems help to run and control the basic functions of a computer.

Google said that the project was a “natural extension” of its Chrome browser and was necessary because older operating systems were designed at a time when the internet did not exist.

“Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS,” said Sundar Pichai, a Google Vice President, and Linus Upson, engineering director, in a blog post. “We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you on to the web in a few seconds.”

Google said that the new software would be released later this year on an open source licence, meaning that computer developers and programmers across the world will have the chance to use, modify and improve it. Netbooks running the finished product will go on sale in the second half of next year.

The company claimed that Chrome OS would change the focus of operating systems from controlling desktop PCs to a system designed to run the internet as fast as possible.

“The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way and most of the user experience takes place on the web,” Mr Pinchai and Mr Upson said.

Google has a big task on its hands. Many companies and products have tried to take on Microsoft’s Windows and failed. Although rival systems such as Linux and Apple's OS X are widely acclaimed, some analysts estimate that Windows and other Microsoft products are used on more than 90 per cent of computers. Microsoft is to release an updated version of its own operating system, Windows 7, in October.

Google has repeatedly trampled on Microsoft’s territory recently. First, it launched Google Chrome, a web browser, in competition with Microsoft’s Internet Explorer. It has also recently released Android, an operating system for mobile phones, a direct challenger to Microsoft’s Windows Mobile, which is used on the majority of smartphones.

And the Chrome browser has been a big success challenge to Internet Explorer with over 1% share of the browser market in almost a year compared to IE's 65% and Firefox's 23% shares.

I'm sure MS is terrified.

clivex, Bristol, England

And the Chrome browser has been a big success challenge to Internet Explorer with over 1% share of the browser market in almost a year compared to IE's 65% and Firefox's 23% shares.

sounds like to me the OS wont be running many programs, so for netbooks probably more ideal then modern desktops

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

yeah sounds like a nice lightweight OS that is perfect for netbooks and the such

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

i dont get the cloud system

how do you run applications from the net?

it will be good for crap pc's i guess but personally many net companies are moving away from unlimited download options to charge per gig

wont it lag to fuck being online?

also i dislike depending on the internet. due to crappy options available to me where i live, im paying a premium to have the Net, and get super shit service, uploads of 0.3mb at best means net play sucks, and beloew 512mb d/l at peak times due to congestion,

Edited by Kite

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

Sign in to follow this