Sign in to follow this  
Kite

Star Trek: your thoughts

personally i loved it :goodjob:

not a big fan of

time travel due to it compramises the original story

but overall the film was very enjoyable, they did a good job of giving the main chars screen time to do the things there famed for from the tv series. Cherkov's accent, Bones attitude etc

and the casting imo was really well done.

most of the film didnt take place on the enterprise which suprised me a little.

i didnt think Nero's reasoning was logical at all

Spock tried to save romulous, so he failed doesnt mean you should take it out on him, and the federation

overall opinion: Roll out the sequals. or remake the series with this cast and effects

Edited by Kite

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

I think they did a great job. When I first starting thinking about it, I figured if I could convince myself that it's Alternate Universe, it'd be ok. Yeah, it actually is AU, and that really helped out. The only actor I wasn't too happy with was the girl playing Uhura. The first parts with her were good, but she didn't really carry it through very well. But everyone else did a good job, I thought, and it's well worth seeing. Finally, a Star Trek something comes out after Gene Roddenberry's passing that I think he'd be proud of as carrying forth the spirit of the original.

I thought the time travel/AU reset was necessicary, really. It allows a complete reset of the stories of established characters, without ignoring all that's come before. And now, they can go on and do whatever they want without having to worry about contridictions and other problems that current Star Trek fans will jump all over them about. It allows the new actors to make those characters theirs without having to live in the shadows of the original actors. It's AU, so the characters will be a little different, and that's fine. I came away from it hopeful about Star Trek for the first time in a lot of years, and as long as the sequals don't start sliding in plot quality or get chewed up in the Hollywood machine (which, lets face it, will probally happen), then I'm totally still a Trekkie. ^_^

Not only that, the guy playing Scotty was awesome and hilarious. And the guy playing McCoy was spot on. Hearing him mutter "green-blooded hobgoblin" under his breath at one point was great! XD

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

karl urban as bones had me at first thinking WTF. but he was really great for the role

simon pegg (scotty) is a well known british actor, i personally dont like any of his films, but he was a good scotty

sigpic1620_11.gif

He was a great Scotty...he did play him a little different, but i really liked him...

you do have to suspend scientific belief more than you'd think for it though...read some lj review where this guy was complaning about all the bad science....i didn't respond, but come one...it's Star Trek....which basicly invented technobabble....you're watching a movie about aliens and ships that can travel past the speed of light and you want scientific accuracy? XD

though, the black-hole-being-time-travel-portal was one point where i just started laughing.....even suspending disbelief in favor of enjoying a movie couldn't make that right....black holes don't work that way! even the original authors of the series and the novels knew that! XD if he had said the red matter (dark matter's nicer cousin?) had generated a wormhole, then it wouldn't have been so goofy....but a black hole? seriously, we know we're going to get technobabble and made up science, but could you at least make it semi-plausible?

acsig2016.jpg

SCOTTY!!!!!!! <3. Best Star Trek movie to date. I was a bit disappointed there where no cling ons but it's understandable. I didn't think I would like this movie at all going into it but I'm actually surprised how amazing it turned out. I can only hope they keep this up with the next two movies.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

i absolutely loved it. im going to go see it again with my mom :)

my bf's friend, whom btw hates EVERYTHING that comes out..... was bitching and moaning "it was so shitty and wrong blah blah blah" going on and on. and again... bringing up the alternate universe, he STILL said it didn't make sense and blah blah blah... i think he just hated it to hate it. i thought putting it into an alternate universe was the PERFECT way to go about making the movie, that and its an alternate universe starting from kirk's birth.

his main beef was with spock. he said it didn't make sense for him to be so emotional, but he always struggled with his emotions, and had he gone into the vulcan science academy (like in the original universe) instead of straight into star fleet, maybe he would have had a better control of emotions considering he'd be around many other vulcans.

buuuuut..... being put right into star fleet among all other races and still young and struggling with emotions, its plausable that he would be more suseptable to lash out in anger and be more vulnerable to his emotions over logic. that and his planet and mother were both just destroyed... thats just my opinion. given the sequence of events, that makes sense to me.

i really loved how they put the well known lines in there for a bunch of the characters too X'D it was awesome :D

i didnt think Nero's reasoning was logical at all

Spock tried to save romulous, so he failed doesnt mean you should take it out on him, and the federation

i think Nero's reason was logical. it was obvious that it wasn't spock and the federation's fault, but when something like your entire planet being demolished and your family dying while you can stand by and do nothing? usually a lot of people look for someone to blame rather than accepting the fact that they did all that they could. there's a lot of stories where the good guy is blamed for not being able to save the day and then people blaming them and wanting to take revenge on them for something they had no control over.

radicalcabbitbannercopy.jpg

Thought I'd post this in case anyone would be interested. Discover magazine posted an article about some of the science and psudoscience present in the movie. Be warned it does have spoilers, so don't click it if you haven't seen it yet. But I thought the scientific explinations would be interesting to some of you. ^_^

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/05/08/ba-review-star-trek/

acsig2016.jpg

JJ Abrams pulled it off. I loved the attention to detail of the original series while bringing a fresh new look and modern story. I was a little disappointed with Checkov because he just didn't look the part, but he grew on my by the end of the film. I look forward to a sequel.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

My favorite moment in the film had to be the kobayashi maru. I always wanted to see that momentfor myself. lol

The solution in the book was better, I thought. In one of the books, he reprogrammed the computer so that the Klingons recognized his name (THE Captain Kirk?), and then proceed to apologize for firing on his ship and helped with the rescue of the Kabyashi Maru. I thought that was a bit more of a clever bit of reprogramming instead of just making it so he could blow up the Klingons.

acsig2016.jpg

The solution in the book was better, I thought. In one of the books, he reprogrammed the computer so that the Klingons recognized his name (THE Captain Kirk?), and then proceed to apologize for firing on his ship and helped with the rescue of the Kabyashi Maru. I thought that was a bit more of a clever bit of reprogramming instead of just making it so he could blow up the Klingons.

lol

either way, i thought that was a great scene ^_^

sigpic1620_11.gif