Sign in to follow this  
Myk JL

New Processor refused to work with my PC.

I got a new processor that runs at 3.6GHz & my PC refused to use it. First I got error messages then after reinstalling it again it wouldn't even turn on properly... I even made I added that coolant stuff to where it makes contact with the fan & whatnot...

I noted that I think the fan was trying to run faster... It got louder within every 5 seconds.

So I reinstalled my previous processor that runs at 2.93GHz.

Is there anyway for me to use the new processor in this PC?

On a brighter note the 2 sticks of 1GB RAM each work great. The 1 stick of 256MB was just too slow.

Still though I'm a bit peeved that my PC won't meet the requirements for some of my PC Games.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

....what kind of processor and mobo do you have and is it the right slot :P its speed means nothing when you are asking why it wont work :P

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

....what kind of processor and mobo do you have and is it the right slot :P its speed means nothing when you are asking why it wont work :P
The Processor in there right now is the Intel Celeron. The one I bought is an Intel Pentium4.

... The Mother Board... $#!+... I have no real frickin clue... All I can really figure out by looking at it is it says P4GV-LA.

As for the slot... There's only one place for a processor to go... Unless I was dumb enough to think that black Intel chip was somehow also a processor... On a sheer stupid note while my PC doesn't have a virus some of the chips on this Mother Board have Crabs...

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

umm... is this your first time building a comp? you need the specs on both the CPU and MB. the CPU and MB sockets must be the same. ex: intell socket 775. get us some specs and we can help further
No, this is my first time upgrading my store bought PC... I don't know where to get the specs on the Mother Board. All I really know is when I showed the RAM & Processor I needed upgraded that these are the RAM & Processor I was recommended.

yeah your motherboard cant support that new processor it only supports up to a 2.8GHz CPU http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=8122

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

yeah your motherboard cant support that new processor it only supports up to a 2.8GHz CPU http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=8122
Dang... I hope I can return it. PC gaming will just have to wait until XP has a proper sucessor...

Tip: Never.... EVER buy anything with a celeron or AMD duron.
Luckily, I never bought this PC. It was a part of a bribe to make sure I didn't do anything really crazy after I was done with my GED in High School.

news flash DX....if he could get the CPU right then the new mobo idea would end in a fiery disaster :P

eppyomega.png

news flash DX....if he could get the CPU right then the new mobo idea would end in a fiery disaster :P
It would?!... Dang... But I'm just not going to go out & get a new Mother Board because then I might need a new power supply, new case, & maybe new RAM after I just bought RAM for this PC. By the time I was done I'd almost have enough parts to build my current PC.

I'm just going to wait until I hopefully here good new on Microsoft's next OS. That way I can either start by scratch or buy a PC that was built for gaming.

So basically you're gonna wait another 3-6 years to upgrade your computer/build one/buy one?

you can build a powerhouse computer for far cheaper than you could buy one already put together and loaded with a bunch of BS shareware and trial programs.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

So basically you're gonna wait another 3-6 years to upgrade your computer/build one/buy one?

you can build a powerhouse computer for far cheaper than you could buy one already put together and loaded with a bunch of BS shareware and trial programs.

Not upgrading this one anymore/might build one/might buy one. I thought I heard that Windows 7 was coming out this or next year so I might do something then. 3 or 6 years from now, well, if I don't get a new PC before cloud computing takes over gaming maybe I never will.

I got some specs from an episode of X-Play back in 2007 & felt like building that; Price $3,125.00. However sometime early this year I read there is (was) a "2009 Tax Return Time Gaming System Special" at a local store & I thought if it didn't run on XP or Vista I might want one; Price $1,299.95.