Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Kumar goes to the White House

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/07/penn.white.house/index.html

The following contains "House" spoilers. Don't read it if you watch that show!

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- When Dr. Lawrence Kutner killed himself on the latest episode of "House: MD," it was the beginning of a new career for actor Kal Penn.

The demise of Penn's character cleared the way for the actor to move on to another "House," the White House.

Penn, 31, will be an associate director for the Obama administration's Office of Public Liaison.

"It seemed like something I would enjoy doing," Penn said. "I figured it was something to do."

He's not retiring from acting, just pursuing a longtime desire for public service that was rekindled when he campaigned for Barack Obama's election, Penn said.

Penn played a teen terrorist on Fox's "24" before joining the network's "House" two years ago. He's also known as Kumar Patel in the "Harold & Kumar" movie series.

The White House job likely ends his Kumar roles, he said. In fact, he will not consider any acting jobs until he leaves the Obama administration, he said.

Penn will take a big pay cut to work for the government, but he has committed to at least one or two years in the job, he said.

His focus will be as a liaison for the arts community and the Asian-American community, he said. He filled a similar role in the Obama presidential campaign, he said.

Don't Miss

* TIME: House's riskiest operation yet

* EW.com: The reason behind 'House' storyline

"We want to make sure that everyone's concerns are heard and they are familiar with the president's plans and proposals," he said.

Penn said he spoke briefly with Obama after the election about "trying to find the right fit" for him in the administration.

He said he has bittersweet emotions as he leaves Hollywood to search for an apartment in Washington next week.

The writers' decision to have Dr. Kutner commit suicide ensures Penn will not return to the show, although he said he leaves on good terms.

He felt "more than a little bit of shock and loss" to learn that his character would die in his final episode.

Even though he spoke no lines in the episode -- and only his legs are seen when his body is found -- he was on the set for the filming, he said.

I bet this means there will be no Harold & Kumar 3. :(

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

just like putting Sanjay Gupta in office....

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sledgstone
      I got a mini burger grill kit for my birthday and I figured I'd celebrate the new years with some white castle style burgers. Except they turned out nothing like white castle burgers. X'D
      I didn't do anything special with the meat so there is no fancy recipe, its just basic burgers made small.
      1) Heres the mini burger press.

2) I put a couple small meatballs size balls of meat and made some mini patties:

3) Heres what the mini burgers look like compared to regular size:

4) To try and get some white castle flavor, I sprinkled some season salt on the burgers and loaded them with chopped onion:

5) I put the top on the mini burgers and put them on the grill over a medium heat:

6) I had to put it on the grill so the handle sticks out the side. Turns out that the front of my grill has a bit of an over bite to it and pushed the mini burgers up in the air when it closed. With the handle sticking out the side tho, it wasn't nearly as bad.

7) After about 7 minutes the burgers were almost done, so I flipped them over and covered them again for another 5 minutes.

8) Here they are done, you can see how much they shrunk. Next time I'll use 90% instead of 80% meat. They shrunk way too much.

9) While the burgers were still hot, I put some thinly sliced pieces of cheese on them and the cheese melted a bit which turned out great.

10) Heres where they don't taste like white castle anymore. I decided to use potato dinner rolls instead of regular rolls or buns. If I knew they'd turn out this small I would have bought the party size mini rolls. Oh well, I doubled up the burgers and put half a stackers pickle and some ketchup and mustard on it.

11) Instead of french fries, I decided a good side dish would be some ribs and a baked potato. So I tried some dinosaur bbq sauce for the first time on ribs. It turned out really good.

12) And heres my new years eve dinner:

• By Sledgstone
      What will you be doing on Valentines day? I don't really have any plans yet, but maybe a romantic dinner at home.
      If only there was a white castle near us tho...

X'D X'D