Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

6 kids plus 8 babies: What was doctor thinking?

Ethical debate erupts as it's revealed mother of octuplets has six other kids

WHITTIER, Calif. - How in the world does a woman with six children get a fertility doctor to help her have more — eight more?An ethical debate erupted Friday after it was learned that the Southern California woman who gave birth to octuplets this week had six children already.

Large multiple births "are presented on TV shows as a 'Brady Bunch' moment. They're not," fumed Arthur Caplan, bioethics chairman at the University of Pennsylvania and an msnbc.com contributor. He noted the serious and sometimes lethal complications and crushing medical costs that often come with high-multiple births.

yada yada

I've already said what I had to say about this bitch here

The U.S. fertility industry has guidelines on how many embryos doctors can implant, with the number varying by age and other factors. The guidelines call for no more than one or two for a generally healthy woman under 35, and no more than three to five, depending on the embryos' maturity, for women over 40.

If eight embryos were implanted at once, that is "well beyond our guidelines," Dr. R. Dale McClure, president of the reproductive medicine society, said in a statement.

Clinics that clearly violate guidelines can be kicked out of another group, the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology, which in turn affects whether insurance covers their services. But the guidelines do not have the force of law.

I would like to see guidelines become law and quack doctors losing their lic to practice medicine when they pull stupid shit like this

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

the dr was thinking his name would end up in a history book :disgust:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this