Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Obama to let states set car emission standards

President set to change Bush policy; Clinton also to name climate envoy

WASHINGTON - Plunging into energy policy, President Barack Obama is poised to give states a freer hand in curbing emissions from cars, and to get his government moving on fuel-efficiency standards that could remake the auto industry. Obama will announce his plans Monday at the White House, according to officials familiar with the details who spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid pre-empting the president.

Separately, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will announce the appointment of a climate change envoy on Monday.

The job is expected to go to Todd Stern, who served in a variety of positions during the Clinton Administration, including the senior White House representative at the Kyoto negotiations.

its about fuckin time :nosebleed: can't wait to see it happen

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Yeah, but some states will slack off and set minimual standards, while some will set stronger ones. There needs to be some kind of minimual standard set by the government, and the states can add onto if they can.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Yeah, but some states will slack off and set minimual standards, while some will set stronger ones. There needs to be some kind of minimual standard set by the government, and the states can add onto if they can.

Exactly. In fact most states will slack off. California is pretty lonely on this one. The south will not follow suit, if anything they'd lax it even more. There are A LOT of truck drivers down here.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

The reason for this orders isn't to slack :P its the fed that was dragging its feet over emissions/fuel efficiency standards. W ran an oil administration, nothing got done, shit just got worse. Cali has a huge emissions problem, its destroying the quality of their air and its effecting human health. Every time they tried to cut emissions/raise fuel standards the fed stepped in and slapped their hands. This legislation will not ease current standards it just gives states in deep shit like Cali the opportunity to save themselves by instating their own rules a step up on the ladder.

All cars/ trucks etc have to meet certain enviro standards anyway (like cadalidic converters) the states will now be able to take it a step further. I think it will put positive pressure on our auto industry to produce the most enviro friendly cars they can to compete with imports. The electric car did great in Cali until buracracy beat it back into the closet. ~and GM let it happen~

I don't feel sorry for our car companies. Some of the hottest cars ever have come out of Detroit. They've hoarded electric car tech in favor of gas guzzeling suv's. If you keep kicking yer coustomers in the crotch eventually they'll stop shopping with you. They can compete or disappear, a consumer version of natural selection :P

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

States can take it further, but most won't, that's the problem. That's what we're saying. It's a good idea in theory, but anything that's going to cost the states a lot of money isn't really going to be used very much. Texas does have state inspections to meet a minimum emissions test, and if your vehicle fails that you can't get it tagged, but there are ways around it. Not to mention states like Arkansas that dropped their vehicle inspections before I even started driving. There needs to be some kind of federal minimum, with maybe some reward for going beyond that. I don't know how that would work out though.

acsig2016.jpg

fed min standards would be nice global standard would be super awesome ^_^

DMV up here is tuff, you don't move a car w/o proper inspection insurance licenses or they'll come to your house and kill you in your sleep. o.0

State inspections are good, that cash goes back to the state and NY needs it to maintain our roads n bridges. There is always road construction shit going on up here. Always. We use a lot of salt and plows tear shit up. We've already had over 100 inches of snow this season, 2x the amount we had last year. -_-; Here's hoping we have enough salt to make it thru the next two months while trying not to weep over the govs budget cuts >.<

Cali will lead by example. NY is one of those states that want environmental protection to actually happen :P We'll make emissions/efficiency laws tuffer here. Obama is basically saying "I gotta lotta f'king shit to deal with right now ok we'll try it yer way Arnie" He's sort of delegating to the states which is good esp if it goes well. It will improve relations between fed n state and put a lil more power and responsibility back in the hand of the ppl ;)

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

duh I'm a lil slow on the uptake today *is not feeling good*

I think we've entered an apples and oranges conversation X'D

Apples: there are federal regulations auto makers must comply with to sell their vehicles in this country. Exhaust and fuel efficiency have been added to that over the years along with safety. It boils down to something like this: Lets say Ford has a truck that will get 30mpg set to come out in 2011 that meets fed standards. California can say you can't sell a truck here that gets less then 35mpg. Now Ford has to do better then the flat rate to lure in Cali consumers :bingo:

Oranges: Stuff like state inspections, registrations, standing in line to be price gouged at the dmv... :omg:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

There are no inspections in the state of Alabama, you just go to the DMV, or to the website, pay the fee and get your tag renewed. People here don't believe in taxes for anything. Our schools suffer because of it, along with a great many other things. For every 1 car you see on the road around here you see 5 pickup trucks. Its pretty much the same in Mississippi, and I'm sure in other deep south states. The market for trucks are a lot bigger in the south than it is in Cali. I doubt it would affect their truck market very much. SUV's however is a different story.

Dubi brings up an interesting point. There should be a federal reward system for setting standards. Such as tax revenue for the state. The south wouldn't pass up on free money.

*shudder* Yes its beyond past the time to reign in some of the redneck ways some states call public policy. As a nation we must be progressive ~no matter how much kicking and screaming Uncle Cletus does~ The people living in these states need to take personal responsibility and put the pressure on their lawmakers.

Its like how some communities don't have recycling or curbside pick up. The very idea makes me 'bout fall outta my chair and seeing people throw away soda bottles and cans :soul: The HORROR! If that kinda crap is going to change the people must instigate that change. Individual citizens cannot delegate their full civic responsibilities to their elected officials. We elect them and must regularly tell them what we want them to do.

Have you nagged a politician today? :bingo:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I live in Alabama and DX pretty much right on XD Just earlier I saw a car with the whole engine exposed, presumably from a wreck, the back windshield missing and the left door missing. I have seen the vehicle a few times and it's a rather old sedan. The fact that it compensated by using plastic garbage bags to cover up the missing door and window must have made it alright.

I live in Alabama and DX pretty much right on XD Just earlier I saw a car with the whole engine exposed, presumably from a wreck, the back windshield missing and the left door missing. I have seen the vehicle a few times and it's a rather old sedan. The fact that it compensated by using plastic garbage bags to cover up the missing door and window must have made it alright.

LMAO, one of those. Maybe one tail light was working?

Yes there are many cars that are on the road, that are hazardous to other drivers. It was just 2 years ago where the state finally required insurance for drivers. Speed limits are suggestions, you have to be going at least 20 miles over the limit to get pulled over, and even then, they only write you for going 5-10 over. X'D

Gas is back down to $1.60, about ever 3rd car you see on the road has thick black exhaust puffing out the tail pipe. You would have a seizure Lady. X'D

You actually become a very good driver down here however, turn signals seem to be optional, as well as fixing your break lights. x_X You become very aware, because you never know when someone is gonna decide to turn into a neighborhood when your zooming down the road at 60mph.

Here in AZ Cadilitic converters are an option, if your's gets plugged and then the ceramic filter shatters cut it off and continue on your way. No harm no foul, and getting tags renewed is pretty much the same, call in, go online w/e and you're good to go. ppl around here drive alot of old cars so I guess it's understandible even if it is a little upsetting from an enviromental/safety view.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I are me.

y'alls horror stories is precisely why we need to:

picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=23

you guys seriously need to get on some political ass down there (or run north for yer lives). it sounds like the southern US is a 3rd world country. you have no idea how much respect I have lost for southerners just by reading this thread. I'm going to re-think leaving NY. Even if its snow covered half the year at least its civilized.

keh and I though Ohio was barbaric :nah:

*looks down on bad state governance ala Boa Hancock* X'D

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Yer page looks nice Alabama

Arizona

Arkansas has to have 1 and 2

Texas

did I miss anybody? Write your reps and tell them you want state vehicle inspections with decent standards. Ours isn't outfuckingstanding but it should give you some ideas. Bringing beaters up to standards is a good way to keep mechanics busy ne? stimulate the economy! Protecting yourself and your environment are good things.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Texas actually does have emmission standards. At least they're trying, though there does need to be stricter enforcement and punishment for people that drive illegal cars. I know you have a problem with large pickups, but truth is, they are needed down here. A large percent of people driving them have reasons for needing one, like having a farm or ranch. Granted, a lot drive them for looks, but not as many as you'd think. I think the majority of the responsibility for fixing emssions standards should be on the manufacturers. It'd have to be government enforced, of course, because heaven FORBID the big guns in the auto industry have to do something that takes that extra plate of cavier off their table without someone behind them with a stick. Texas does still have the $3500 trade-in on older vehicles to help get them off the road, though you actually have to use it as a trade-in for a new vehicle, which kinda defeats the purpose. I mean, most people drive older crappy cars because they can't afford payments on a new vehicle.

acsig2016.jpg

some regulation is better than none and at least its a start.

Up here vehicles that don't have to be reg or insured are the trucks that never see the road, never leave the private property aka farm pick em up trucks. These clunkers wouldn't pass a state insp and are used for hauling bales of hay and calf hutches etc.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this