Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Would you live in a dome?

http://dvice.com/archives/2008/08/styrofoam_dome.php

What's the home of the 21st century? Contenders abound — you've got green houses, cool prefab designs and even apartments themed around gadget fads — but none are quite so… modular as these Styrofoam domes. Made by Japan Dome House, the igloo-shaped homes have 13-foot ceilings and are 25 feet wide, so the insides are actually fairly roomy.

Lest you think your Styrofoam home will crack apart the first time you try to hang a painting, the foam used in the 7-inch-thick walls is considerably stronger than the stuff your DVD player was packed in. Not only that, but it'll never rust or attract pests like termites, and is said to be highly resistant to earthquakes and hurricanes. The walls are also treated with a flame retardant, so they don't give off toxic fumes if there's a fire.

Assembling the prefabricated pieces is fast work. Two or three people could put the whole thing together in an afternoon… without any cranes or heavy equipment. You can also connect the domes with joint pieces to create larger dwellings. Once your dome is put together, the possibilities are endless — create anything from a steam room to a swanky bar. In any case, it'll be a lot better than a FEMA trailer.

Check out the pictures, they actually look decent on the inside. If you got four of them connected, you could live in a pretty good sized dome home. I wonder if you could flip one of the domes upside down, bury it to ground level and connect the top dome to it... Then you could live in a duplex sphere. :P

I'd get one and layer dirt up the sides and on top, grow grass all over it and live like a hobbit. :P

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I'm not comfortable with the fact they're made out of Styrofoam. If they were made out of something more durable I might want one.

Basically all I need is just one. Have it split into 2 rooms. One for the Toilet & tub. The other for my Room/Kitchen.

Wouldn't hurt if they also built one capable of being a garage.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Holy shit, that's awesome. I'm so up for it ... they all look like mini boobs from an aerial view piccie.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Holy shit, that's awesome. I'm so up for it ... they all look like mini boobs from an aerial view piccie.

*snork*....why am i not surprised you're the one that pointed that out? XD

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

*snork*....why am i not surprised you're the one that pointed that out? XD
;) I'm surprised nobody else noticed. The small circle at the top of the dome kinda made it more ... booby~like X'D.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Off Topic:

Last night I was thinking about these boobomes ... in a moment of sheer psychedelic geekyness I ... I imagined I was living inside one of em, and we were on the edge of Boobtown ... things begin to rattle, shake pretty violently, and I was forced to kinda run outside ... neighbor Dubie~chan is out of her boobome too ... EARTHQUAKE?! NO! Both our homes begin to move up the ground ... AND a face appears at a distance ... we find the top of our boobomes facing us ... it appears to be a HGE woman, gorgeous I might add ~_^ ... it struck me - we were living inside a giant woman's boob X'D.

Oh god ... me and my stupidly random thoughts ... >_>

Edited by Godgrave