CabbitGirl

Live action Cowboy Bebop?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-22/live-action-cowboy-bebop-film-in-development-at-fox

The IFMagazine.com entertainment website reports that film producer Erwin Stoff (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly) is developing a live-action adaptation of Sunrise's Cowboy Bebop multi-genre action anime series for Fox. Stoff told the website that the project is "in the really early stages" since the parties "just signed it the other day." Shinichiro Watanabe's original anime follows the motley crew of the spaceship Bebop as it travels throughout the solar system in search of the next job. Stoff promised "a real degree of faithfulness," and added, “When I met with them in Japan, one of the first things that I brought up was the experience that we had on A Scanner Darkly, and how hard we worked to remain faithful to Philip K. Dick, and that was our big concern here.” The anime distributor Bandai Entertainment and Cartoon Network's Adult Swim programming block released the original 1998 television series in the United States, and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment released the subsequent 2001 animated movie. The anime was also adapted into two separate manga series, and Tokyopop released both manga series in North America. A Bandai Entertainment representative was unable to publicly comment on this report.

should we worry? >_<

radicalcabbitbannercopy.jpg

DBZ doesn't look good, will just have to wait and watch what happens to this one. Although, the first Nana and Death Note movies were pretty decent.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

they have a tendency to pick shitty actors that are nothing like the characters and can't pull them off

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

DBZ doesn't look good, will just have to wait and watch what happens to this one. Although, the first Nana and Death Note movies were pretty decent.

....Nana and DN were Japanese Live Action movies...this is a US LA

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Sigh, wth is with wanting to turn anime into live action movies/shows lately? I do not look forward to this at all.

Same reason why they keep doing remakes of old movie classics or turning popular graphic novels into movies or making a 4th movie to sequels or turning popular comic books into movies...etc. It's all about the money. They see an increase in Anime fans so they start buying up licenses, grab shitty actors, and start making the movie on low budget in the hopes that it will be simple cash.

Hollywood has no originality anymore.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Same reason why they keep doing remakes of old movie classics or turning popular graphic novels into movies or making a 4th movie to sequels or turning popular comic books into movies...etc. It's all about the money. They see an increase in Anime fans so they start buying up licenses, grab shitty actors, and start making the movie on low budget in the hopes that it will be simple cash.

I don't think Hollywood has lost it's originality. Since long ago they've made some of the best movies off best selling novels, and now comic books. So what's different? How has Hollywood changed? Re~makes, sure, that's new, and some directors have their own take on it. Consider it as any band of today putting up a Pink Floyd cover song on their album, what's wrong with that.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I don't think Hollywood has lost it's originality. Since long ago they've made some of the best movies off best selling novels, and now comic books. So what's different? How has Hollywood changed? Re~makes, sure, that's new, and some directors have their own take on it. Consider it as any band of today putting up a Pink Floyd cover song on their album, what's wrong with that.

You honestly think Hollywood is the same as it was years ago *shakes head*? Don't get me started on music. They're not all original either but at least there is a wide selection of bands that are original, as apposed to the same producers and directors that keep spewing out craptastic CGI infested story line lacking movies and sequels to old classics. The 70-erly90's where the prime time for music and movies.

Every time I read about new movies it's always the same thing "Remake of (insert random 80's movie here) movie coming out!", "insert name 4 coming out!", "From the (visual designer/producer/story writer) of (300/sin city/resident evil)". It's just sad, really really sad that they try and leach off past success to make more money. Look at George Lucas, he's milking the Star Wars franchise for everything its worth.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Apollo 13, Fargo, The English Patient, A Beautiful Mind, Toy Story & Toy Story 2, Saving Private Ryan, Shine, Affliction, American Beauty, The Matrix, Boys Don't Cry, Erin Brockovich, Traffic, LOTR, The Machinist, American Psycho, The Hours, Road To Perdition, The Green Mile, Million Dollar Baby, Finding Nemo, The Aviator, Finding Neverland, King Kong (remake), Lars And The Real Girl, Dan In Real Life, Michael Clayton, We Own The Night, In The Valley Of Elah, Gone Baby Gone, Donnie Darko, The Notebook, Darfur, 310 To Yuma, Into The Wild ....... I can go on. And these are all movies post mid 90s. IF you liked an anime, would you want a second season? Like say, Black Lagoon or Gundam 00? Similarly we have sequels for movies, granted most of them turn out to be cheesy, but you can't not want the movie makers to make it. If it does well, they'd make it, it's common sense. It's like telling Nolan not to make another Batman movie because he's milking it? What I can't stand is directors making crappy versions of what's there - be it a remake or a sequel. The crop of movies you get to see today is bolder, provocative, and pretty much the same as before ...

Edited by Godgrave
I pressed enter somehow and it got posted : p

Apollo 13, Fargo, The English Patient, A Beautiful Mind, Toy Story & Toy Story 2, Saving Private Ryan, Shine, Affliction, American Beauty, The Matrix, Boys Don't Cry, Erin Brockovich, Traffic, LOTR, The Machinist, American Psycho, The Hours, Road To Perdition, The Green Mile, Million Dollar Baby, Finding Nemo, The Aviator, Finding Neverland, King Kong (remake), Lars And The Real Girl, Dan In Real Life, Michael Clayton, We Own The Night, In The Valley Of Elah, Gone Baby Gone, Donnie Darko, The Notebook, Darfur, 310 To Yuma, Into The Wild ....... I can go on. And these are all movies post mid 90s. IF you liked an anime, would you want a second season? Like say, Black Lagoon or Gundam 00? Similarly we have sequels for movies, granted most of them turn out to be cheesy, but you can't not want the movie makers to make it. If it does well, they'd make it, it's common sense. It's like telling Nolan not to make another Batman movie because he's milking it? What I can't stand is directors making crappy versions of what's there - be it a remake or a sequel. The crop of movies you get to see today is bolder, provocative, and pretty much the same as before ...
Every movie you just listed I wouldn't go to a theater to see...

I haven't seen Black Lagoon, but Gundam got royally screwed when they branched out of UC.

Batman Forever & Batman & Robin were pure crap. Grade F milk.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

You honestly think Hollywood is the same as it was years ago *shakes head*? Don't get me started on music. They're not all original either but at least there is a wide selection of bands that are original, as apposed to the same producers and directors that keep spewing out craptastic CGI infested story line lacking movies and sequels to old classics. The 70-erly90's where the prime time for music and movies.

Every time I read about new movies it's always the same thing "Remake of (insert random 80's movie here) movie coming out!", "insert name 4 coming out!", "From the (visual designer/producer/story writer) of (300/sin city/resident evil)". It's just sad, really really sad that they try and leach off past success to make more money. Look at George Lucas, he's milking the Star Wars franchise for everything its worth.

70-90's agreed!

Lucas... I want to beat him. I was a sw nut as a kid and he's done an outstanding job of trashing sw and my childhood. asshole

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Every movie you just listed I wouldn't go to a theater to see...

I haven't seen Black Lagoon, but Gundam got royally screwed when they branched out of UC.

That's your opinion. We weren't discussing movies to go to the theater, just movies that were good enough for Hollywood's standards. I haven't seen some of those movies in the theater either cos they were never released back home, but if they did, I would.

Sadly that increase in Anime fans is noticing a decrease in licensed anime material as of late so Hollywood really isn't cashing in on much (especially considering most anime fans will refuse to watch some of the Live-Action adaptations being slated lately (Akira, Ghost in the Shell, DB (all three of which should never see a live-action adaptation as it will never be done right and butchered to hell becauseof stupid American morals))).

Hollywood lost it's originality in the early 90's. It's been going downhill since and I haven't seen a movie theatres since I Am Legend (and I used to go to movies pretty regularly back in the day). There hasn't been anything worth spending $7.50 to see in the last year since I Am Legend (and please refrain from pointing out any, I'm broke and can't afford movie going at the moment).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

cowboy bebop movie. I wonder who could actually play Faye and fill out her outfit. ha. Most likely they'll change everyone's outfits to black leather like they did in the x-men movies.

Ghost in the Shell movie update:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/04/15/dreamworks-to-make-live-action-ghost-in-the-shell-movie-in-3d/

Live action 3D? O_O

BTW, on the subject of anime live action movies, I think I remember reading the Battle Angel Alita movie was canceled.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13950.html

Keanu Reeves, who stars in the box office-topping remake The Day the Earth Stood Still, talked about the progress that producer Erwin Stoff, who has worked exclusively with Reeves for the past two decades, has made on a live action remake of Shinichiro Watanabe and Keiko Nobumoto’s anime sensation Cowboy Bebop in an interview with MTV. Reeves told MTV that he was eager to play Cowboy Bebop protagonist and futuristic space cowboy, Spike Spiegel. “We’ve got the rights, we’ve got a writer, and he’s putting together a scene outline,” Reeves told MTV about the Cowboy Bebop project, which is set up at Fox.

Cowboy Bebop is one of the most popular anime TV series ever broadcast in the U.S. By the middle of 2005, Bandai Entertainment had already sold over a million Cowboy Bebop DVDs, and the idiosyncratic series continues to get exposure on the Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim.

Reeves explained to MTV why he loved Cowboy Bebop, “It’s got a Western quality, a Western/film noir aspect to it. It’s got so much style to it, and that’s part of its appeal—that kind of Old West, bordertown, low-tech science fiction aspect.” According to Reeves the live action film will focus on the origins of the Bebop team of bounty hunters and will incorporate the conclusion to the 26-episode anime and at least some of the episodic adventures explored in the series.

Creating the right “look” for the live action movie is of paramount concern for Reeves, who told MTV, that he thought Cowboy Bebop would be “a production designer’s dream. I think you just need a good production designer.” Fans of the Cowboy Bebop anime would add that “you also need to get Yoko Kanno to create the music for the live action movie.”

Yep, looks like Keanu really is going to be Spike. :desksd:

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg