Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Ex-official: Cheney wanted testimony deletions

Former EPA adviser says VP's office was wary of linking climate, health

Vice President Dick Cheney’s office pushed for major deletions in congressional testimony on the public health consequences of climate change, fearing the presentation by a leading health official might make it harder to avoid regulating greenhouse gases, a former EPA officials maintains.When six pages were cut from testimony on climate change and public health by the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last October, the White House insisted the changes were made because of reservations raised by White House advisers about the accuracy of the science.

But Jason K. Burnett, until last month the senior adviser on climate change to Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Stephen Johnson, says that Cheney’s office was deeply involved in getting nearly half of the CDC’s original draft testimony removed.

“The Council on Environmental Quality and the office of the vice president were seeking deletions to the CDC testimony (concerning) ... any discussions of the human health consequences of climate change,” Burnett has told the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.

The three-page letter, a response to an inquiry by Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., the panel’s chairwoman, was obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press. Boxer planned a news conference later in the day.

Cheney’s office also objected last January over congressional testimony by Administrator Johnson that “greenhouse gas emissions harm the environment.”An official in Cheney’s office “called to tell me that his office wanted the language changed” with references to climate change harming the environment deleted, Burnett said. Nevertheless, the phrase was left in Johnson’s testimony.

Cheney’s office and the White House Council on Environmental Quality worried that if key health officials provided detailed testimony about global warming’s consequences on public health or the environment, it could make it more difficult to avoid regulating carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, Burnett believes.

Nowhere were these White House concerns more apparent than when CDC Director Julie Gerberding, the head of the government’s premier public health watchdog, testified about climate change and public health before Boxer’s committee last October. The White House deleted six of the original 14 pages of Gerberding’s testimony, including a list of likely public health impacts of global warming.

Way to go Dick. You're caught now you son of a bitch. :flip:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

GW and all his pals and pawns are getting away with everything. I wish Americans would WAKE UP TO THE TRUTH

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

GW and all his pals and pawns are getting away with everything. I wish Americans would WAKE UP TO THE TRUTH
In order for that to happen MSM ASAP would have to tell the truth, but that's impossible.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

"White House insisted the changes were made because of reservations raised by White House advisers about the accuracy of the science."

If only they had been this careful about faulty intelligence before invading Iraq.

;)

We all know that dang-ole' science CAN'T be trusted!!

Mayor Quimby: I'll admit I used the city treasury to fund the murder of my enemies, but as Gabbo would say, I'm a bad wittle boy.

Sign in to follow this