Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

McCain Sets Goal of 45 New Nuclear Reactors by 2030

article

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — Senator John McCain said Wednesday that he wanted 45 new nuclear reactors built in the United States by 2030, a course he called “as difficult as it is necessary.”

In his third straight day of campaign speech making about energy and $4-a-gallon gasoline, Mr. McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, told the crowd at a town-hall-style meeting at Missouri State University that he saw nuclear power as a clean, safe alternative to traditional sources of energy that emit greenhouse gases. He said his ultimate goal was 100 new nuclear plants.

Mr. McCain has long promoted nuclear reactors, but Wednesday was the first time that he specified the number of plants he envisioned.

Currently there are 104 reactors in the country supplying some 20 percent of electricity consumed. No new nuclear power plant has been built in the United States since the 1970s.

etc

holy hell what fucking century is he living in???? a clean safe alternative?? Where does he get his science, a little card in his cracker jack box? wtf? there are reasons we stopped building new plants. this moron is running for president?! fuck man now I will vote for anybody other then him. -_-;

The counter article

McCain says that building 45 new nuclear plants by 2030 is a course of action “as difficult as it is necessary.” Well, he is right in one regard: It will be difficult. It takes billions of dollars and at least 10 years to bring a new nuclear reactor online.

But necessary? Hardly.

In fact, we don’t have 10 years to wait for clean energy to come online. Not that nuclear is all that clean: you still have to mine the uranium used in the reactors – and mining is a dirty, polluting process – and you have to store the nuclear waste somewhere – waste that can be around for centuries, sitting in a storage facility somewhere, susceptible to leaks. Meanwhile, we have solar and wind technologies, and several other renewable technologies, that are ready to be implemented on a large scale right now.

Which brings me to my next point: nuclear reactors cost so much, the utilities aren’t likely to build new plants unless they are heavily subsidized by the federal government. That’s billions upon billions of dollars that we could and should be investing in clean, renewable technologies – the real solutions to global warming and the true path to America’s energy independence.

*sigh*

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

i understand why people would see nuclear energy as a solution,

but as it was said, there are many alternatives

nuclear energy doesnt use fossil fuels, but well uranium isnt much better X_X

they should use the billions of dollars for wind and solar, geothermal and hydro electricity

what ever happened to hydrogen energy like in the movie chain reaction ;p

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

holy hell what fucking century is he living in???? a clean safe alternative?? Where does he get his science, a little card in his cracker jack box? wtf? there are reasons we stopped building new plants. this moron is running for president?! fuck man now I will vote for anybody other then him. -_-;
Another wealthy white guy who might be confused for Mr. Burns.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Sign in to follow this