Sign in to follow this  
DeathscytheX

Mozilla's Firefox 3 Sets Geeky World Record

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20080702/tc_pcworld/147875;_ylt=AnPabl2Y2g2tNrPkX1coCs4jtBAF

It's official: Mozilla has set possibly the geekiest world record ever with the release of Firefox 3.

The open-source company said Wednesday that the browser's 8,002,530 downloads in its first 24 hours of release set a Guinness World Record for the most software downloads in that period of time.

Mozilla Vice President of Marketing Paul Kim thanked Firefox fans in a statement, calling them "instrumental in achieving this record."

"Our community members came together and not only spread the word, but also took the initiative to help mobilize millions of people to demonstrate their belief that Firefox gives people the best possible online experience," he said.

Mozilla unveiled a campaign on May 28 to set the record, which previously did not exist.

The company asked Firefox enthusiasts to pledge to download the browser on the day it was released-- June 17, which it dubbed "Download Day."

Mozilla also hosted a Download Day event, the Camp Firefox BBQ, at its offices in Mountain View, California, and asked other Firefox fans to host similar download parties. It also encouraged people to place "Download Day" buttons on their Web sites as reminders of the big day.

Despite its eventual success, Firefox 3 Download Day didn't go off without a hitch. Interest in the endeavor crippled Mozilla's servers on the day of the release, so the U.S. part of the download process started about two hours later than originally planned when Mozilla's site wouldn't work properly.

The European leg of the effort began a little more than an hour later than planned and marked the start of the download-logging process. There were no more problems reported once the U.S. site was back up and running.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

:rotflmao:

I don't even take ie into consideration anymore when I do grapix n other shits. if yer using ie it sux to be you

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

ive been using mozilla for over a year, ever since IE wouldnt open any flash, even after i down loaded everything humanly possible

IE: please download flash to view this

(i had a million times)

mozilla: would you like to download an addon to correct this problem ... ;p

IE copied Mozills tab interface ;p

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

:rotflmao:

I don't even take ie into consideration anymore when I do grapix n other shits. if yer using ie it sux to be you

I wish I could take that mentality. Unfortunately 90% of my clients still use IE6 so any site I make has to work in IE6+ which is a bitch since IE6 doesn't follow standards and IE7 has a hard time with strict standard code. Such a pain! All I can say is I'll be happy as hell when IE8 comes out with it's fully standard and backward compatibility mode. No more multiple css files for stupid IE. Firefox all the way!

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

I wish I could take that mentality. Unfortunately 90% of my clients still use IE6 so any site I make has to work in IE6+ which is a bitch since IE6 doesn't follow standards and IE7 has a hard time with strict standard code. Such a pain! All I can say is I'll be happy as hell when IE8 comes out with it's fully standard and backward compatibility mode. No more multiple css files for stupid IE. Firefox all the way!

Which is why I'm still using tables for the base layouts. Sure, people complain "oh, that's so old", but my websites work cross browser, and theirs don't. So there, bitches. XD Don't get me wrong, I do use an awful lot of CSS, but it's so much easier just to use tables for the actual layout than trying to use CSS b/c you have to include all kinds of tricks for it and it's a big pain in the ass.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Which is why I'm still using tables for the base layouts. Sure, people complain "oh, that's so old", but my websites work cross browser, and theirs don't. So there, bitches. XD Don't get me wrong, I do use an awful lot of CSS, but it's so much easier just to use tables for the actual layout than trying to use CSS b/c you have to include all kinds of tricks for it and it's a big pain in the ass.

You know I have to agree with you. I'm a die hard CSS strict fan but lately I've been tempted to open dreamweaver and just do it in a table with inlined css. I've been getting to the point where I just want to get the project(s) done and get paid.

What the web really needs is a div WYSIWYG editor that resembles a table editor lol. Just open up place your divs, resize them, and watch it generate the css for you XD. Then a setting to make the css work or generate a new css file for IE6,7, firefox and opera. That would make every web designer happy as hell! lol

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Well, take phpBB3 for example. The CSS file for that is so incredibly complicated, and the actual coding for the layouts even more so. It took me months to figure it out, and by then, I had pared it down quite a bit. However, with phpBB2, I can edit the header and footer files with tables and sizing, edit the CSS file for my colors and images, and boom! it's done. I'm not saying I won't learn things that come out, but I do tend to stick with what's simple and what works. At this point, that's tables for the layouts, CSS for the colors, and PHP/MySQL for the data. It's simple, it's clean, and I don't have to spend hours updating or changing anything.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Sign in to follow this