Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Turkish tuna fishermen ram Greenpeace ship

Activists vessel campaigning against overfishing in the Mediterranean

ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish tuna fishermen rammed their boat into a Greenpeace ship Friday and pelted it with lead fishing weights, the environmental group said. No one was injured.The fishing vessel was among several that swarmed the Arctic Sunrise, which was carrying activists campaigning against overfishing in the Mediterranean. The boat rammed the Greenpeace ship at high speed, said Yesim Aslan, a spokeswoman for the group.

The barrage of lead weights damaged a helicopter that the activists had used earlier in the day to document the vessels' activities, Aslan said.

Activists on the ship also heard shots being fired and the Coast Guard in the Mediterranean port of Iskenderun was called to intervene, she said.

No one answered telephone calls at a company in the Black Sea town of Giresun whose vessel Greenpeace said was involved in the attack.

The head of a main bluefin tuna fishing company in the Mediterranean, Ak Tuna Balikcilik, was at sea and could not be reached for comment, a company secretary said. It was not clear if any of that company's vessels were involved in the incident.

'Fishing itself to death'

The Arctic Sunrise was sailing between Turkey and Cyprus to draw attention to overfishing at a channel that Greenpeace says is a main breeding area for bluefin tuna.

Greenpeace wants Turkey to immediately stop issuing bluefin tuna fishing permits in the channel and to declare the area a marine reserve.

"We understand that these guys are angry and we're angry too," Greenpeace representative Karli Thomas said. "But the real problem here is being caused by the refusal of governments to take action to regulate a fishery that's fishing itself to death."

"The population of tuna is close to extinction," Thomas said. "If we don't protect the breeding and spawning grounds now, there will be no fish for the future."

Attack on tuna fishing

Atlantic bluefin tuna stocks are under serious threat from overfishing. The European Union last year called for stronger protection of the bluefin tuna by extending the fishing offseason, reducing black market fishing and imposing new worldwide cuts in catch quotas.

The vast majority of Atlantic bluefin tuna is caught in the eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean, with a smaller percentage fished in the western Atlantic.

The Turkish vessels fish in the Black Sea and the Sea of Marmara in the winter and move to the Mediterranean to hunt bluefin tuna there in the summer.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

IMO Greenpeace got what it deserved. Bunch of nuts that usually want governments to increase there powers against business & people.

Then again Tuna is meh most of the time as the only thing that actually taste good is what ever is covering up the taste of Tuna.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

A persons opinion speak volumes to me as to what kind of person they are.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

A persons opinion speak volumes to me as to what kind of person they are.
... Meaning what exactly?

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

My statement was self explanatory.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

That's retarded! There should be a law against such random attacks towards activists who have a right to do what they're doing.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

That's retarded! There should be a law against such random attacks towards activists who have a right to do what they're doing.
Harrassing people out of jobs that hurts no one should be protected?

Slapping someone in public or passing a comment about how sexy someone looks gets you hit with a big penalty/ can get you sued, yes? So, ramming into a boat should be exempt? I wonder if they traded insurance information over their walkie talkies ... you've gotta be kidding.

EDIT: Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, as am I.

Edited by Godgrave

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

It's more than just fishing tuna, human jobs and harrassment.

What happens when we over fish the tuna? Then what do we move to? Those big tuna boats do more than just fish tuna. They catch other sea animals that end up dying because they are not returned to the ocean ASAP and/or they are injured by the nets. The nets themselves do a lot of damage to the ocean and it's not a quick fix. Our oceans our a huge part of our eco system and if they are destroyed it will have a drastic effect on how we live, if it dosn't kill us off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Well, Toutousai...don't you think it's a pity for Tessaiga? All Inuyasha can do is wave about a sword with all his strength...it's the same whether it's a famous sword or a log."

-Sesshoumaru

Slapping someone in public or passing a comment about how sexy someone looks gets you hit with a big penalty/ can get you sued, yes? So, ramming into a boat should be exempt? I wonder if they traded insurance information over their walkie talkies ... you've gotta be kidding.

EDIT: Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, as am I.

How about slapping someone in public because sexual harassment?

If you have someone demanding on a daily basis that you quit your job eventually you're going to snap.

As for over fishing the real problem comes from a lack of innovation in the market. If they could farm fish in tanks there wouldn't be a major problem.

But it's not like Green Peace is making that actual effort. They're just harassing some guys who are trying to keep their jobs & stay providers for their families.

Whether you snap or not is not the issue, the problem is nothing's being done about it. Like I said, form laws around the issue. There is no excuse for ill behavior, whatever the circumstance. If that were untrue, there would be countless murders on the thin line of revenge, and no law against it, which isn't the case. You can't allow a car to run over people on a side walk just because you think there was too much traffic to begin with.

I respect your opinion, and cannot agree with it, I'll leave it at that. Won't say more. Enjoy!

Edited by Godgrave

the problem isn't farming fish. the problem is 6 billion people wanna eat and you can't grow enough fish in tanks to feed them. the problem is bottom trawling and line fishing to catch massive amounts of fish to feed the world is destroying ecosystems our food needs to live and propagate. the problem is the destructive practices of commercial fishing.

the greenpeace organization has been confronting government and corporations world wide to adopt environmentally friendly policies for years. if you look at their website or subscribe to their newsletters and campaigns like some people around here do you would realize you're mistaken. without groups like greenpeace, the world wildlife fund, center for biological diversity etc corporations would rape and pollute the planet to our death.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

the problem isn't farming fish. the problem is 6 billion people wanna eat and you can't grow enough fish in tanks to feed them. the problem is bottom trawling and line fishing to catch massive amounts of fish to feed the world is destroying ecosystems our food needs to live and propagate. the problem is the destructive practices of commercial fishing.

the greenpeace organization has been confronting government and corporations world wide to adopt environmentally friendly policies for years. if you look at their website or subscribe to their newsletters and campaigns like some people around here do you would realize you're mistaken. without groups like greenpeace, the world wildlife fund, center for biological diversity etc corporations would rape and pollute the planet to our death.

I think the possibility still stands that farming fish would help greatly.

Corporations create jobs. The only times I know of when corporations are in the wrong is when they pollute other peoples property or underpay their workers. You don't need Green Peace or WWF to do that. If anything they just take the opposite extreme of the other. The other being big business in bed with big government.

Corporations also create poverty financially and environmentally which is why they don't go on unchallenged. Our (and other) govts don't do enough to keep the corps in check so the task falls to us citizens. when we get together with the same ideas and we become groups like gp wwf cbd.

This is our earth too. It doesn't belong to just the corporations. Its up to us to make sure they remember and respect that. Protests demonstrations lawsuits and email campaigns aren't extreme. Its checks and balance.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Corporations also create poverty financially and environmentally which is why they don't go on unchallenged. Our (and other) govts don't do enough to keep the corps in check so the task falls to us citizens. when we get together with the same ideas and we become groups like gp wwf cbd.

This is our earth too. It doesn't belong to just the corporations. Its up to us to make sure they remember and respect that. Protests demonstrations lawsuits and email campaigns aren't extreme. Its checks and balance.

Usually as I already stated this is due to government in bed with businesses. GP & WWF from what I've read have done nothing but harass businesses. So when it comes to the environment I'm more likely to lean towards websites about Green Collar Jobs. At least they're not trying to put anyone out on the streets.

Never said it wasn't our Earth. However the main focus should be on property rights as no one completely owns the Earth.

GP & WWF from what I've read have done nothing but harass businesses.

Then you haven't read enough or you've just been exposed to bogus propaganda. Thats why I suggested you visit their websites/ jump on their mailing lists so you can see what really they do.

Here's a few links for ya ~hell for everybody!

Avaaz (English)

Greanpeace (USA)

Center for Biological Diversity

Save Our Environment

World Wildlife Fund

Expose Exxon

We Can Solve It

League of Conservation Voters

happy reading

The gp coverage

Peaceful ship attacked

Time and tuna are running out. Tempers too.

May 30, 2008

Cypriot Channel, Turkey — arctic-sunrise-attacked-banner

Three Turkish tuna fishing vessels surrounded the Greenpeace ship Arctic Sunrise in the Cypriot Channel, with crew from one vessel attacking the ship with lead weights. Greenpeace is in the area to call for an end to unsustainable fishing and to call for the establishment of a marine reserve between Cyprus and Turkey.

We flew over the ships early this morning to document the activities of tuna fishing vessels.

Three Turkish vessels then surrounded the Greenpeace ship -- one colliding with the Arctic Sunrise and causing superficial damage midships on the starboard side. The tuna ship's crews then started hurling lead fishing weights of around four centimetres at the Greenpeace ship. Gunfire was heard. Amazingly, no one was injured but the Greenpeace helicopter was damaged and is now inoperable.

copy-of-crew-of-turkish-fishin.jpg

The Greenpeace ships Captain notified the Turkish Iskenderun Port Authority and reported the damage.

"This unprovoked attack against the Arctic Sunrise, a peaceful protest ship, endangered the safety of our crew and ship and is completely unacceptable, we urge the ships owners to instruct their crews to return to port for an immediate investigation," said Greenpeace International Oceans campaigner Karli Thomas, on board the Arctic Sunrise.

The real bad guys: governments

"We understand that these guys are angry -- we're angry too. But the real problem has been caused by the refusal of governments to take action to regulate an industry that is fishing itself to death," Said Banu Dokmecibasi, Greenpeace Mediterranean Oceans Campaigner.

Scientists from the international body which regulates tuna fishing, ICCAT, recommended a maximum sustainable catch of 15,000 tons of bluefin tuna, to be divided among all the countries licensed to fish in the Mediterranean. The Turkish fleet comprises more than 200 purse seiners in total, with enough catch capacity to fish the entire 15,000 tons. Turkey has an allocated quota of less than 900 tons.

We're calling on the Turkish government to support the protection of the Cypriot Channel, one of the most productive tuna breeding areas in the Eastern Mediterranean, as a marine reserve. The Turkish government should immediately revoke all permits for domestic fleets to fish in the channel.

damage-to-helicopter-aboard-gr.jpg

"Marine reserves are urgently needed to protect the future of marine life, including tuna. The population of tuna is close to extinction - if we don't protect the breeding and spawning grounds now there will be no fish for the future. By protecting tuna, fishermen can protect their own future." Said Banu Dokmecibasi, Greenpeace Mediterranean Oceans Campaigner.

Greenpeace is campaigning for a global network of fully protected marine reserves covering 40 percent of our oceans as an essential way to protect our seas from the ravages of climate change, to restore the health of fish stocks, and protect ocean life from habitat destruction and collapse. As part of this campaign, the Arctic Sunrise is currently in the Mediterranean documenting threats to the sea and promoting the designation of marine reserves.

At the same time, our vessel Esperanza is calling for marine reserves in the Pacific. You can add your voice to our efforts without risking seasickness or getting anything thrown at you.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Wow. Look at the dammage on that helicopter.

Lady is right though, a lot of what we do read is bogus propaganda. Gp and WWF do a lot of good, despite the bad press they get.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Well, Toutousai...don't you think it's a pity for Tessaiga? All Inuyasha can do is wave about a sword with all his strength...it's the same whether it's a famous sword or a log."

-Sesshoumaru

better then not trusting any of them ;)

didja check out the double team they give exxon here

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this