Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

PlayStation 'will reclaim lead'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7387628.stm

PlayStation 3 will help Sony reclaim its position as the leading games console maker, the head of the firm's console division has said.

Speaking to BBC News, Kaz Hirai said the machine would overhaul rivals Nintendo and Microsoft within its 10-year lifecycle.

PlayStation 3 sales have outstripped those of Microsoft Xbox 360 in Europe but it lags behind in North America.

Nintendo's Wii console is the number one next-generation machine globally.

Mr Hirai said Sony was engaged in a "marathon" race with Nintendo and Microsoft.

More than 10.5 million PlayStation 3s were sold worldwide by the end of 2007. To date, in Europe more than five million PS3s have been sold.

Nintendo had shipped more than 25 million Wiis worldwide by April this year, while Microsoft reported 19 million 360s shipped by the same period.

Both firms have reported production supply problems in the past year.

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gif I am very confident that after the 10-year lifecycle we will have the install base that we are looking for and that is obviously to be in the leadership position end_quote_rb.gif

Kaz Hirai, Sony

Mr Hirai said: "We've only really begun to scratch the surface with PlayStation 3 but I am confident that given the long life-cycle we have planned for the machine we are going to have a very good install base in all of the major territories.

"I am very confident that after the 10-year lifecycle we will have the install base that we are looking for and that is obviously to be in the leadership position."

'Fuel growth'

Mr Hirai said Sony continued to look into the future development of consoles beyond the PlayStation 3.

He said that while new PlayStation hardware had been introduced five years into the lifecycle of the last two generations of machines, it was difficult to predict when a new PlayStation platform would emerge.

"It's very difficult to say at this point in time.

"We need to take a look at advances in technology in various areas, such as semiconductors, graphics chips, output devices, mainly TV and monitors, to see where we would like to benchmark our next generation product."

He said that Sony's investment in future console hardware technology remained important.

"And you can make the investments, for example, to the tune of the investments we made with previous consoles, because we look at this business as a 10-year lifecycle. We don't let our consoles go by the wayside after five years.

Network gaming

"By managing a portfolio of consoles that we have - PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and PlayStation 3 - we are able to look at the business in totality."

Mr Hirai said the company had begun investigation of pure network gaming, without the need for a dedicated console.

"It's something we would look at. We have had a lot of discussion internally about where the road map will take us.

_44633814_ps226.jpg PlayStation 3 endured a difficult launch

"[With network gaming] we're also dependent on the network infrastructure available in all the territories we do business in.

"Some have faster broadband access than others. When you consider that content that plays on PlayStation 3 can go as high as 50GB it's going to be very difficult to deliver 50GB to consumers in some parts of the world in a timely fashion."

Because of the limitations, he said Blu-ray discs remained the "best and most efficient way to deliver content".

He said sales of PlayStation 3 would continue to be driven by games and by the line-up of titles this year.

"If you look at line-up coming out this year - Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift , Little Big Planet, there is a whole raft of titles between now and the end of the year which will really help fuel growth of the install base."

Mr Hirai described the launch of PlayStation 3 as "difficult" and affected by "teething problems".

'Some challenges'

"We had some challenges when we launched the PlayStation 3 in major territories. We were not able to supply North America and Japan with enough units.

"There was also some concern in the media and from customers about the lack of titles available at launch."

He added: "That situation has been remedied to the satisfaction of consumers. The software line-up is looking good for this year and certainly for the holiday period."

He said the technology inside the PlayStation 3 had been a steep learning curve for developers.

"I think they are beginning to embrace the technology and are able to express their creativity on the platform certainly more than they were able to at launch."

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Man this sounds silly. A 10 year lifespan? Maybe if you want to see the PC gain ground. But consoles have a 5 year lifespan. Basically by the time PS3 becomes "1st" in this console war Microsoft & Nintendo would have new consoles out.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

But the question really is does Sony need an upgrade on the graphics front versus Microsoft or Nintendo? Micro and Nint I'm guessing aren't up to par with what Sony has on board now, and to keep up they'd have to come up with newer consoles, while Sony can sit back and make a bigger graphic powerhouse later on. Btw, this is pure assumption from what I've been reading about Sony's graphics) and since I've yet to play the PS3, XBox and have only seen bits of the Wii.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

But the question really is does Sony need an upgrade on the graphics front versus Microsoft or Nintendo? Micro and Nint I'm guessing aren't up to par with what Sony has on board now, and to keep up they'd have to come up with newer consoles, while Sony can sit back and make a bigger graphic powerhouse later on. Btw, this is pure assumption from what I've been reading about Sony's graphics) and since I've yet to play the PS3, XBox and have only seen bits of the Wii.
Five years from now most likely yes. Because even if They don't make a PS4 when Nintendo & Microsoft are making their next consoles, the PS3 Last Gen graphics. The minimum of graphic perfection.

"Wii 2" I can only assume will get complaints for having graphics as good as PS3 while "Xbox 420" will reclaim the powerhouse for Microsoft.

The most powerful gaming machine can & always will be the up to date PC. It's why consoles change every 5 years.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

360 and PS3 have the same graphics with very minor differences between games on both consoles (PS3 does Texturing and Lighting a lot better then the 360 (from what I've seen)). This might change of course when developers start tapping into the potential of the PS3 but as it stand there are only minor differences. (just FYI GG as you haven't played either)

It's quite possible to get 10 years out of the PS3 Myk, I don't know how you can't see it. The PS2 had 7 years on it when the PS3 was finally announced and released (and the PS2 dominated game sales from when it came out till it was phased out). Frankly PC gaming is becoming a relic of the past, true it'll still be around but it's nowhere near being able to out beat console sales or console game sales as people these days would rather buy a console then continually spend money upgrading their PC's, it's more cost effective. Plus the PS3's true capabilities have yet to be tapped (evidence being the current games). Based on the specs of the PS3 this beast is quite capable of claiming the lead once more games come out that truly tap the systems capabilities (because I'm sad to say the 360's capabilities are damn near tapped out and the Wii is just a joke (it's got nothing to tap, being a slimmed down Gamecube and all)) as well as lasting for 10 years on the market.

Based on everything I've been reading since the next gen consoles came out I already figured the PS3 would eventually take the lead. The 360 is being pushed to it limits as of late (Lost Odyssey being a very good example of this with it's amazing graphics) and we're not really seeing anything new come out on the system worth buying. The Wii is a complete joke when it comes to being a next gen system. It's only selling point is the party/family aspect it has going which might help it now but when we start seeing what the PS3 can really do this won't help it any. People these days buy games for one of three things (what I've noticed, pay no heed if you don't agree. Just my observations): Pretty graphics, tons of violence, and multiplayer gaming (be it party gaming (like Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Wii Sports/etc.) or FPS (COD4/Halo 3/etc)). What used to sell in the past doesn't anymore and Nintendo is going to need to learn that and learn it quick (really I see no point in buying a Wii unless it's for the Virtual Console, no other game makes me want to buy a Wii).

Of course take that as you will. I'm privy to more knowledge then most other people since, as most know, I'm going to school for this type of stuff and I get to talk to industry professionals on a daily basis (my teachers still work in the industry or have only quit recently).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

It's quite possible to get 10 years out of the PS3 Myk, I don't know how you can't see it. The PS2 had 7 years on it when the PS3 was finally announced and released (and the PS2 dominated game sales from when it came out till it was phased out). Frankly PC gaming is becoming a relic of the past, true it'll still be around but it's nowhere near being able to out beat console sales or console game sales as people these days would rather buy a console then continually spend money upgrading their PC's, it's more cost effective. Plus the PS3's true capabilities have yet to be tapped (evidence being the current games). Based on the specs of the PS3 this beast is quite capable of claiming the lead once more games come out that truly tap the systems capabilities (because I'm sad to say the 360's capabilities are damn near tapped out and the Wii is just a joke (it's got nothing to tap, being a slimmed down Gamecube and all)) as well as lasting for 10 years on the market.
A 7 year old PS3 vs. a PC will see a really power machine vs. one 2 years too old. Everything made for a console has been made on a computer. I'm not saying the PC will dominate gaming again. What I was saying is if you expect an old console to out do a new PC I think you're wrong.

360 and PS3 have the same graphics with very minor differences between games on both consoles (PS3 does Texturing and Lighting a lot better then the 360 (from what I've seen)). This might change of course when developers start tapping into the potential of the PS3 but as it stand there are only minor differences. (just FYI GG as you haven't played either)
Thankies :jiggle:

I think the Wii is also going to tap into Health/ Fitness market, which will boost it's sales phenomenally. Imagine gymnasiums with Wii's in em ... aerobic s exercises, and the likes are in the pipeline I guess. Heard anything of that sort, Strider~kun?

You made a big mistake GG. Posting anything that doesn't hail the PS3 as the biggest failure in history is a no no. You must disregard all logic and common sense, ignore any facts that doesn't favor the Wii, and believe with all your heart that market lifespan trends of the 1990's will always be. X'D

The PSP has completely dominated the Japan market in the last two months outselling the Wii and the DS? WHAT?! BLASPHEMY!!! The news industry is being hijacked by a Sony Fanboy conspiracy! Its the only explanation! :rolleyes:

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

You made a big mistake GG. Posting anything that doesn't hail the PS3 as the biggest failure in history is a no no. You must disregard all logic and common sense, ignore any facts that doesn't favor the Wii, and believe with all your heart that market lifespan trends of the 1990's will always be. X'D

The PSP has completely dominated the Japan market in the last two months outselling the Wii and the DS? WHAT?! BLASPHEMY!!! The news industry is being hijacked by a Sony Fanboy conspiracy! Its the only explanation! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure the biggest failure still belongs to Nintendo's Virtual Boy...

Their are still more PSPs sold than Wii. The PSP is selling more in Japan than Wii & DS, but come in at 3rd in overall world sales by the week.

:haha: this cracked me up early in the morning ...

10 years is a long. Before then a new Xbox and Nintendo Console would be out with better graphics and more features. Around that time You would see Sony lower their prices since they want to keep PS3 more popular but by lowering their price they wont be making as big a profit as they would if they kept the price high.

Then when the 10 year time comes for Sony to make a new Console, another new Xbox and Nintendo console would be coming out probably all three having around the same graphics ability and processor power by then but the major difference is Microsoft and Nintendo would have made 2x more money since they had already put out a console 5 years prior with more fan boyish console exclusive games.

So I honestly don't see how Sony thinks this will make them much profit. Sure, PS3 will become more popular but it wont necessarily make them more money. Especially not if a newer better Xbox or Nintendo console comes out before then and then when a PS4 comes out.

But I'm not here to pick winners since each company is making a lot of money anyway. I play whatever has more games that are fun for me. And so far that's been everything except for PS3. Until PS3 starts putting out more games, I don't plant to touch the system.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

10 years is a long. Before then a new Xbox and Nintendo Console would be out with better graphics and more features. Around that time You would see Sony lower their prices since they want to keep PS3 more popular but by lowering their price they wont be making as big a profit as they would if they kept the price high.

Then when the 10 year time comes for Sony to make a new Console, another new Xbox and Nintendo console would be coming out probably all three having around the same graphics ability and processor power by then but the major difference is Microsoft and Nintendo would have made 2x more money since they had already put out a console 5 years prior with more fan boyish console exclusive games.

So I honestly don't see how Sony thinks this will make them much profit. Sure, PS3 will become more popular but it wont necessarily make them more money. Especially not if a newer better Xbox or Nintendo console comes out before then and then when a PS4 comes out.

But I'm not here to pick winners since each company is making a lot of money anyway. I play whatever has more games that are fun for me. And so far that's been everything except for PS3. Until PS3 starts putting out more games, I don't plant to touch the system.

Exactly. ^

Valid points Goku~kun. However I feel more than the graphics, today's gaming market is controlled by what games feature on that particular console. Is that true? I remember when PS3 was coming out, everyone on here were talking about Resistance or something, etc. So, if this analogy applies, how do the current games of the 3 consoles compare? What's predicted for the future?

pc gaming is pointless now tbh, unless it is for an mmo like WoW

consoles now tap into broadband,

my pc is still beter then anything they sell in a shop, but assassins creed plays better on my console. ^^

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

Hmmm, the CD format has pretty much reached its limit. The burning question is exactly how Microsoft will advance their hardware beyond cell processing and blu-ray? That is, without paying Sony for the rights to use it. By winning the HD format war, Sony has virtually monopolized the next step in gaming technology. Maybe Nintendo saw this coming, and went in the direction they did, tossing out the arms race gimmick for simplicity.

What has happened here is, Sony built a system with an intended 10 year life span, and created a pretty good barricade for anyone being able to produce something more advance than it. The console itself is a very expensive thing to create, and the unit itself is not profitable. So if you can make one last 10 years with mega software sales in that span, its a lot more reasonable from a business stand point and a consumer standpoint.

pc gaming is pointless now tbh, unless it is for an mmo like WoW

consoles now tap into broadband,

my pc is still beter then anything they sell in a shop, but assassins creed plays better on my console. ^^

I agree. I rather play Mass Effect on my Xbox 360 in peace, rather than on a PC where you have to renew the registration every 10 days to prove your copy is legitimate. Your internet is temporarily down? Too bad, you can't play it even though its an offline game.

Valid points Goku~kun. However I feel more than the graphics, today's gaming market is controlled by what games feature on that particular console. Is that true? I remember when PS3 was coming out, everyone on here were talking about Resistance or something, etc. So, if this analogy applies, how do the current games of the 3 consoles compare? What's predicted for the future?

Like I said at the bottom, PS3 clearly is not my top choice when it comes to a variety of games. Personally I find my self playing more games using the PC then anything else because of variety, stability, price, and customization but Xbox would probably be my second pick and then Wii...etc. PS3 just doesn't have enough out for it and the stuff that it does have out is also out for Xbox. So it's kind of pointless to buy a PS3 now or in the future.

I think if PS3 didn't go with the whole "PS3 is not a game system it's a blue-ray entertainment system" bit and focused more on making and releasing games, they would have done better at the get go (well lower price too). But no, they focused more on the Blu-Ray aspect of the system and ignored what the people where really after. Now that they realized their mistake, their trying to make up for it by reshaping their image and pushing game developers to release more. But still, 10 years wont help them make more money. If anything they will lose money because of price cuts and double price cuts to fight off competition from newer Xbox and Nintendo consoles that will come out in the future. It's a big gamble for Sony to say that PS3 will be it's primary system for 10 years.

sig.php

people forget that ps3 was out like a year and a half after xb360, so it lost all its original line up of exclusives such as assassins creed because of the mass delays (even longer in europe)

but now sony is in the market it will be getting its new set of exclusives like MGS, and FF. and considering japanese developers perfer sony over MS, i think we will be seeing some great RPG's being released onto the ps3, maybe not as good as mass effect but by far a larger following such as dragon quest series.

i do think the ps3 will last 10 years

i mean hell, the dream cast still sells in japan apparantly

sigpic1620_11.gif

Beside the fact of a supposed 10 year lifespan. It is assumed that because a console has the best graphics of it's generation it will take 1st when all is said & done. The article can pass as Sony fanboyism based on that alone. But if you look at Sony's past wins they had the least amazing hardware for graphics (With the exception of Sega who had the worst).

Only in "Bizarro World" did N64 beat PS1 & Xbox beat PS2. Well now that PS3 is for the graphic nuts & is in third. What are PS3 owners to do but pretend that they will dominate the future? I can only guess they'll act like they live in Bizarro World.

And to assume that Blue-Ray is the final winner in all to come Format Wars & hold at least say Microsoft back is ridiculous.

*Edit

And to base winning on region (like Japan) is also meaningless. The only number that matters in the end comes from world sales.

*2nd Edit

I forgot to mention that currently Wii is 1st in world sales & has been inching it's way to a near a neck & neck tie with Xbox 360 in America. All of this despite Xbox 360 year start. To say its all because of 360's early start is a poor excuse to run by.

Edited by Myk JL
Saw Kite's post.

wii shouldnt even be considered in the format war, much like the gameboys, / ds, they are usually in addition to either the PS or XB, there fun machines that you nplay when u feel like every now and again.

hence why so many people have them.

most games are on the ps3 / 360 --> gta etc

so really the console war imo is ps3 v Xb360

the wii is not a next gen console, but just a home entertainment system. ive yet to meet a person who owns a wii and not a ps3 or xb as there main gaming machine.

im not saying ps3 will out sell the xb at all, but MGS and FF are some of the biggest games ever.. and are estimated to sell consoles for them alone

sigpic1620_11.gif

wii shouldnt even be considered in the format war, much like the gameboys, / ds, they are usually in addition to either the PS or XB, there fun machines that you nplay when u feel like every now and again.

hence why so many people have them.

most games are on the ps3 / 360 --> gta etc

so really the console war imo is ps3 v Xb360

the wii is not a next gen console, but just a home entertainment system. ive yet to meet a person who owns a wii and not a ps3 or xb as there main gaming machine.

im not saying ps3 will out sell the xb at all, but MGS and FF are some of the biggest games ever.. and are estimated to sell consoles for them alone

Currently the only console actually in the format war is PS3. Microsoft barely touched the format war issue with that add on. But its not imposible for the next console war after this one to have another format war.

And saying the Wii isn't a next gen console because its a GameCube with a funny controller might as well right now be Microsoft saying they're 1st if you ignore that weird console ahead of them.

Edited by Myk JL
Typo...

BBC news is one of the world's most respected sources for news. Its not fanboyism, and the overuse of the term fanboy only declares one's own fanboyism. Besides, the BBC isn't the only source to cover this topic.

Both Microsoft and Sony are coming out with their own silly motion wand, they could start drawling interest in developers that make games for the Wii... with 2 other outlets, sales can be increased dramatically for a software company. This could change the dynamics of the market. Your line of thought is still stuck in last generation where there were 3 consoles that went through its entirety. There was no HDMI, There wasn't 60 inch plasma tvs, and there wasn't 3-4 different console configurations. Its a totally different ball game now. You can assume that a console wont last for 10 years, but no one knows that. Besides... PS2 came pretty close.

Microsoft is a software company, Sony is a hardware company. Microsoft wont be starting any type of format war unless they pay out the ass for someone else to make them one. All indications right now point to MS looking into Blu-Ray. Unlike previous console lifespan trends, Format Wars don't happen every 5 years, the movie industry needs more stability than gamers do.

The Playstation 3 is more than just a graphical powerhouse. Its an information processing factory. Right now, most of the non-exclusive games that hit the PS3 are Xbox 360 ports. No one has made a game that even scratches the surface of what the system can do. (MGS4 is the first game to fill up a blu-ray disc, but thats probably only because of its length, cut scenes, and codec conversations). It could possibly be a whole generation ahead. I don't know, you don't know, game developers don't know. Will that potential ever be met? Maybe and maybe not.

Predictions are always fanboyism. Back in the last console war I would have been grateful if the ones about Nintendo dying had been true but that never happened and they were all over the Internet.

And a 60 inch plasma TV cost over 1000. Add the PS3 at current price it would make a little more sense just to buy PC parts.

I highly doubt Microsoft will see a blue ray player for its console(s) anytime soon. So if Microsoft is really serious about competing with Sony they'll have to become a hardware business as well.

The PS3 is a watered down PC. Intriguing if you want a blue ray player, but currently no solid ground beyond that. Maybe it'll be worth the buy with God Of War 3. But with 3rd parties eventually porting their exclusives they don't seem to be a solid reason to get a console that badly.

Not knowing & taking an "educated" guess are 2 different things. But making wild predictions years into the future is just fanboyish.

i do think the ps3 will last 10 years

i mean hell, the dream cast still sells in japan apparantly

No ones saying it will stop selling if it was still in the stores for 10 years. Where just saying it wont make as much profit and it's a stupid move on Sony's part. They could potently be going up against some real power houses in 5 years time but what will they do? Nothing because they plan to wait 10 years (if thats even true).

So ya, it will still sell just like the Dreamcast, Game cube, PS2, N64, game boy...etc. It just wont rake in as much money as Sony would have liked.

Pushing that aside, I'm a bit confused with how you guys changed the definition of console war. With my understanding the "console war" is about an all around game system that can satisfy the most people (not just fan boys). Now, for some reason, you guys are considering it a "hardware war"...which I think is a totally different thing. If we where determining who would win based off Hardware then it would be PS3 hands down. But where not, at least not the news sites, gaming sites, or me. The PS3 is still lacking in games. Sure it has 2 or 3 titles that are console only however that wont change the way people choose a console. Especially since popular games like GTA just came out for Xbox 360 too. It's to bad Sony's managment and marketing staff are so full of themselves. They could have had another undisputed success. O well, will see how things pan out in 10 years lol.

sig.php

Predictions are always fanboyism. Back in the last console war I would have been grateful if the ones about Nintendo dying had been true but that never happened and they were all over the Internet.

And a 60 inch plasma TV cost over 1000. Add the PS3 at current price it would make a little more sense just to buy PC parts.

I highly doubt Microsoft will see a blue ray player for its console(s) anytime soon. So if Microsoft is really serious about competing with Sony they'll have to become a hardware business as well.

The PS3 is a watered down PC. Intriguing if you want a blue ray player, but currently no solid ground beyond that. Maybe it'll be worth the buy with God Of War 3. But with 3rd parties eventually porting their exclusives they don't seem to be a solid reason to get a console that badly.

Not knowing & taking an "educated" guess are 2 different things. But making wild predictions years into the future is just fanboyish.

I'm pretty sure a person with a PhD in this field can make a better "educated" guess than the both of us. Maybe its just me, but I don't see how guessing the PS3 can never take the lead is the only unfanboyish thing to say. If thats the only so called educated guess to make, then I guess its fact?

Microsoft won't just become a hardware business, they gained their glory through software, and its all they will ever be. The few hardware products they have are craptastic in quality (as far as construction goes).

I'm aware of how much a plasma screen costs, but that doesn't change the fact that both the PS3 and Xbox 360 were built to perform on these types of devices. To someone that can afford it and wants to play games, it would make no sense to buy a pile of PC parts rather than a killer home entertainment set up. For those of us that can't afford it, oh well it works just fine on the TV we have. There are many many factors pertaining to the development of new consoles other than the PC.