Sign in to follow this  
Dubird

The God Fuse

Now, I'm not posting this link to start any kind of holy crusade or religious fight. But it's an article I really found interesting and makes a lot of sense.

10 Things Christians and Atheists Can (And Must) Agree On

Exceprt:

The war that's coming between the fundamentalist Christians and the hard-core Atheists probably won't be the most violent of the holy wars. But it has the potential to be the most annoying. We'll, I'm going to try to stop it.

So I'm running into this guy basically everywhere I go:

Not that exact guy. People like him. I recognize the type, I had to spend the whole first half of my life around the Christian version of those guys, people who worked it into every conversation. But now I'm running into these really aggressive, sort of evangelical atheists. Ever since 9/11/2001, in fact. The exact day a whole lot of atheists decided this religion thing had to go before it killed us all.

These things never end well.

But I think we've got more common ground than we admit. For instance, both my atheist and Christian friends (I seem to have an equal number of both these days) tell me they agree with the following statement:

Celebrating the death of somebody you disagreed with pretty much makes you a dick.

I doubt anybody reading this has ever waved a snarky sign at a funeral, so I think we're pretty much all in the same boat still. See? Common ground.

So how about this: I'm going to throw out a few of these statements - things I think we have to agree on if we want to avoid disaster - and you can read until you see something you disagree with. We'll see how long we can make it last.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Celebrating the death of somebody you disagreed with pretty much makes you a dick.
Not only that, but it's damn good fun too!

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I've decided to try to take this more seriously.

1. You Can Do Terrible Things in the Name of Either One

Not really the case. The Stalins and Maos of the world just merely removed religion from the political scene. Either way they would have still been politically corrupt. If there was no religion involved on the war on terror the problem might be a little more clearer. I'm not saying it wouldn't still happen, but you would still be left with all the political reasons.

2. Both Sides Really Do Believe What They're Saying

I would not say believe. I know what I'm saying. Part of what this talks about is bicameralism. Julian Jaynes did a book about it.

3. In Everyday Life, You're Not That Different

Agreeable until it gets to sex. Atheist are not Naturist or Nudist. The Nip Slip at the super bowl was a big deal. To say it is just meat would be to say that rape is not violence.

4. There Are Good People on Both Sides

Yes I like to say that I'm American 1st & whatever else I am is 2nd. Meaning the freedom of speech & the freedom to tolerate speech.

5. Your Point of View is Legitimately Offensive to Them

If it is I'll just avoid that person. Apparently being treated as equals in a free country isn't good enough. You could also say things about death that could be true, but only someone rude goes up & makes such remarks.

6. We Tend to Exaggerate About the Other Guy

I don't know who this guy is, but I do my best to stay away from exaggeration.

7. We Tend to Exaggerate About Ourselves, Too

Yes, but only on the Internet. Then again in the vs. I've seen some people on the opposing side who say they are good christians, but these people turn out to be leaches with a plan B. As for cold crazy reasons this is my island & no one else is allowed on it. Of course we all have free will, but if you don't allow others to have free will or are lazy about opurtunity you will end up with less free will.

8. Focusing on Negative Examples Makes You Stupid

Yes.

9. Both Sides Have Brought Good to the Table

Agreed.

10. You'll Never Harass the Other Side Out of Existence

Yeah, but trying on the Internet is at times fun. Anywhere else you're just asking for trouble.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

First off, thanks for taking it seriously. That's what I was hoping people would do when I posted it. ^_^

1. You Can Do Terrible Things in the Name of Either One

Not really the case. The Stalins and Maos of the world just merely removed religion from the political scene. Either way they would have still been politically corrupt. If there was no religion involved on the war on terror the problem might be a little more clearer. I'm not saying it wouldn't still happen, but you would still be left with all the political reasons.

So, you're saying that one side (either athisim or religion) has NEVER done bad things? Ever?

acsig2016.jpg

First off, thanks for taking it seriously. That's what I was hoping people would do when I posted it. ^_^

So, you're saying that one side (either atheism or religion) has NEVER done bad things? Ever?

I'm saying they have, but the reasoning changes when you remove or add religion.

Hypothetically lets say religion doesn't exist & 9/11 still happened. So why did it happen? Apparently because we supply weapons & occupy the Middle East way after the cold war has ended. But you wouldn't here that from our current president. All of the political corruption & none of them acting like they stick to a higher power beyond us.

1. Its is in our nature to resolve conflict violently. Nature is not religion.

2. People will believe what they believe until they personally educate themselves. The truth is not told it is realized.

3. No shit humans are molded into their culture/society.

4. Good is a relative term. People thought the polio vaccine was good but whoops sorry heres some AIDS for ya.

5. I don't give a frak who is offended by the truth. People offended by the truth are naturally cowardly.

6. Again, no shit. People have to justify their actions to themselves.

7. Egoism is in our nature.

8. Educating yourself combats stupidity.

9. see answer 9

10. Me personally, no. The evolution of the species will take care of it all for me eventually anyway.

I am not atheist. I do not associate myself with any known religion on the planet. I do and always will take what I want and leave the rest from ALL religions. I don't think any of them have it right but there are slivers of real truth in all of them. As far as a war "between the fundamentalist Christians and the hard-core Atheists", it isn't going to happen. We already have it hard enough staying alive on this rock, most people just don't realize it yet.

I am more concerned about a war between we civilians and our government then another pointless religious crusade.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I'm saying they have, but the reasoning changes when you remove or add religion.

Hypothetically lets say religion doesn't exist & 9/11 still happened. So why did it happen? Apparently because we supply weapons & occupy the Middle East way after the cold war has ended. But you wouldn't here that from our current president. All of the political corruption & none of them acting like they stick to a higher power beyond us.

I see what you're saying, but I think the point he was making is that horrible things happen under both 'reasons', so no side is completely innocent. Basicly, that Christians shouldn't be saying that bad things are always caused by athiests and athiests should be saying that bad things always happen because of Christians (or whatever religion).

acsig2016.jpg

I see what you're saying, but I think the point he was making is that horrible things happen under both 'reasons', so no side is completely innocent. Basicly, that Christians shouldn't be saying that bad things are always caused by athiests and athiests should be saying that bad things always happen because of Christians (or whatever religion).
Just as long as no one assumes bad things wouldn't happen if the other side didn't exist.

Sign in to follow this