Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Twisters kill at least 47 in Southern states

article

The dead included 24 people in Tennessee, 13 in Arkansas, and seven in Kentucky, NBC News said. Three were killed in Alabama, emergency officials said. Among the victims were Arkansas parents who died with their 11-year-old in Atkins, about 60 miles northwest of Little Rock

The twisters, which also slammed Mississippi, were part of a line of storms that raged across the nation’s midsection at the end of the Super Tuesday primaries in several states. As the extent of the damage quickly became clear, candidates including Hillary Rodham Clinton, Barack Obama and Mike Huckabee paused in their victory speeches to remember the victims.Northeast of Nashville, Tenn., a spectacular fire erupted at a natural gas pumping station that authorities said could have been damaged by the storms. An undetermined number of people were reported dead.

we so need a better alert system

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Arkansas does have an alert system. They test it every Wednesday at noon, provided it's not cloudy and rainy (so they don't scare people into thinking a tornado is coming when it's not). The problem is that tornadoes are so unpredictable that it's often hard to say when one is going to touch down and where exactly it'll go. All they can do is monitor storms that come up and warn when the conditions are right for one to touch down. Wait, that's a tornado watch. Tornado warning means a tornado has been spotted somewhere. May not have touched down, but one was spotted.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

I hope that future storm study will be able to improve upon the watch/warning systems. If we could only know further in advance where, how strong etc and get that message out to everyone. Sirens tv radio don't appear to be enough, we need more aggressive warning systems. (Maybe electronic storm warning signs every so many miles for the people driving around listening to their cd players - something man)

Is it just me or do the storms and tornadoes associated with them seem to be a lot more frequent and widespread now then they were 5 10 15 years ago? We've had em here in NY o_0 thats just...

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

they don't seem to be any worse down here....*shrugs*....this is the start of tornado season, where the worst tornados occur....

and it would be nice to be able to predict exactly where a tornado goes, but i don't think that's possible....there's too many variables that can change quickly and randomly....they are getting better at predicting tornado conditions, but that doesn't help if people don't pay attention.....or don't know what to do....

acsig2016.jpg

Wow o_0 ... the biggest Twister I've seen is on the big screen version of 'Twister'.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Dubie, do they got places for people to duck and cover out there?

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

well, a lot of older homes have storm shelters......a lot of the newer ones don't bother with it, which is silly i think....at least have a basement to go into in case of storms....

acsig2016.jpg

Sign in to follow this