Sign in to follow this  
gokuDX7

Card Game Ideas

Me and a friend where thinking of creating a simple online card game. Nothing to hard or sophisticated as Magic the gathering or other older card games, just something everyone could enjoy and get addicted to fast. Anyway, we can't seem to come up with a simple concept so I was hopping maybe some of you guys have ideas for an addicting card game that would be similar to Magic, Pokemon, yugioh..etc. Feel free to post any type of ideas even if they seem dumb.

Thanks

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

If it's not a H-game, it may not be addictive X'D. Jokes apart, I have no clue ... never seen an anime with one (for ideas) or played one before.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I'll probably come back with some ideas on this later but I don't think you can make a simple card game similar to Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Magic, Gundam, etc. To many intricate rules are written into that sect of card games that'd be hard to simplify (even if all the rules seem different a majority of the core rules and what not are the same. They're only worded differently). However, I don't doubt it's possible to do so but I just wanted to throw out that it won't be easy (even if Pokemon seems simple it's a rather complex game, used to play the TCG back when I was younger).

At the moment though I really can't think of anything.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Simple idea based on D&D 4th edition rumors. Multiple players versus random monsters in dungeon in search of artifact or random quest objective. Not fully fleshed out. Flesh it out if you're interested.

Action and Defense card types: equipment, martial, divine, arcane.

Equipment: bonuses to attack monster, or skill check against NPCs, puzzles and traps.

Martial: Physical attack; melee or ranged. Bonuses to encounter effects.

Divine: Protection, buff, or healing effect. Bonuses to encounter effects.

Arcane: Magical attack; melee or ranged. Bonuses to encounter effects.

Room: bonus or penalty to particular types of action and defense cards, NPCs/monsters/puzzles/traps.

Encounter cards: NPCs, Monsters, Puzzles and Traps.

NPCs: pay treasure for bonus on next monster/puzzle/trap or buy equipment.

Monsters: attack monsters.

Puzzles and traps: disable or overcome traps.

Play

Computer: Draw a room and encounter card.

Players: Play cards to overcome encounter.

Resolve round. Add/Subtract hit points.

Repeat until encounter is resoled.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

thanks for the ideas, me and my friend have come up with a few ideas but they don't seem very "good".

For example my friend was thinking we should have two or three cards decks. One for attacks, another for defense, and last would be for special cards/bonuses. Each player would have their own three decks and would take two cards from each deck. The point of the game would be to attack the other players "hit points". Each player would start out with a set number of points probably 1000HP.

The problem with my friends idea (at least the way I see it), would be that its far to fast pace and would not require much skill to play. For example player one could attack right off the bat and then place a defensive card down. Then the second player would obviously use a bonus card that heals (if they had any), set defense up and then attack. It would probably go back and forth like that for the whole game. That kind of gives the first player the upper hand :/. I think this idea is kind of like what you suggested Mathias, right?

So anyway, keep the ideas coming. If your idea is more complex post it anyway.

PS. no H-games lol.

sig.php

*spanks goku for ruling that possibilty out* Hey, at least ecchiness on the back covers? Come on X'D

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

thanks for the ideas, me and my friend have come up with a few ideas but they don't seem very "good".

For example my friend was thinking we should have two or three cards decks. One for attacks, another for defense, and last would be for special cards/bonuses. Each player would have their own three decks and would take two cards from each deck. The point of the game would be to attack the other players "hit points". Each player would start out with a set number of points probably 1000HP.

The problem with my friends idea (at least the way I see it), would be that its far to fast pace and would not require much skill to play. For example player one could attack right off the bat and then place a defensive card down. Then the second player would obviously use a bonus card that heals (if they had any), set defense up and then attack. It would probably go back and forth like that for the whole game. That kind of gives the first player the upper hand :/. I think this idea is kind of like what you suggested Mathias, right?

So anyway, keep the ideas coming. If your idea is more complex post it anyway.

PS. no H-games lol.

Oddly enough that sounds a lot like Yu-Gi-Oh except for the three decks option (then again it sounds a lot like other games too since they're usually classified into different types).

The three decks thing sounds interesting but whats the card limit for each deck (20, making a 60 card deck or higher/lower)? I could see that getting highly confusing if it's simple since three decks would get rather hard to keep track of (hell I have a hard time keeping track of crap when I play Magic and thats only one deck).

*smacks GG* Hentai card games would be fun but I doubt they'd fly

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Oddly enough that sounds a lot like Yu-Gi-Oh except for the three decks option (then again it sounds a lot like other games too since they're usually classified into different types).

The three decks thing sounds interesting but whats the card limit for each deck (20, making a 60 card deck or higher/lower)? I could see that getting highly confusing if it's simple since three decks would get rather hard to keep track of (hell I have a hard time keeping track of crap when I play Magic and thats only one deck).

*smacks GG* Hentai card games would be fun but I doubt they'd fly

well specifics have not been talked about (ie. deck numbers) so I have no idea how many my friend was thinking in each deck. My guess is like yours, 20 in each deck. Right now where just trying to come up with some type of card game idea that would be addicting, simple for ages 12+ but not to simple as to make it into a kids game. We want it to appeal to all people basically.

Keeping track would be no problem if your talking about playing the game. It's not like when you play real card games with real people and have to put counters on cards and stuff. The game client would do all that for you and make it simple and less work on the players.

We plan to have a built in deck sorter/maker so players can buy, sort, and make their own decks before playing a game with someone online or an NPC.

lol GG, hentai back's on the cards would be funny. You just gave me a neat idea for a feature though. "Custom backs", upload an image you want to show up as the back of your decks lol.

sig.php

Continuation of my idea. I loosely base some of the room, room levels, and final boss concepts on the Order of the Stick Game. Too complicated? Not interesting? Whatever?

1. You can easily multiply the numbers by a thousand to follow other card standards.

2. The concept is to enter a room, defeat the challenge, and repeat. If the players cannot defeat the challenge, then the players retreat and possibly try another path, with the option to defeat the challenge later. Visited rooms that are cleared remain empty. Each room runs horizontal for eight cards with a stair card randomly selected. Draw from the monster/trap card pile a number of times equal to the level you're on. The number of levels is agreed upon at the beginning. The bottom level has special boss monsters with attack, defense, health, and abilities based on level. Once the main boss monster is defeated, the artifact is won.

3. Treasure is given based on the level of monster or challenge defeated. After so many levels of monsters or challenges defeated the characters can trade in the experience points for a permanent bonus.

4. All characters survive an encounter as long as one survives by defeating the encounter or escaping. Characters can leave the dungeon at any time to fully heal and requip at the nearby town, but the dungeon is repopulated and starts anew, though the map of rooms remains.

5. Four different classes: Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard. Cards can only be used by all classes or only a subset. Example: Wizard can't use a fighter's greatsword; Fighter can't use a wizard's wand of magic missiles.

2. Cards are separated into five piles, one for each class and one general pile. Item cards can only be purchased from NPCs or found on monsters after they have been defeated. The class cards are special abilities, feats, and techniques (bonuses to attack, defense, skill, special) that a character can use to overcome a challenge.

3. Each player starts with a starting package of equipment cards appropriate for the class chosen.

Example equipment cards.

Armor: (Defense in most card games)

Cleric: Chainshirt (+4 armor)

Fighter: Chainshirt (+4 armor)

Rogue: Leather armor (+2 armor)

Wizard: Robes (+0 armor, can't go around naked ;) )

Weapons: (Attack or Damage in most games)

Fighter: Greatsword (+12 damage, melee); Longbow (+8 damage, ranged)

Cleric: Morningstar (+8 damage, melee); Crossbow (+8 damage, ranged)

Rogue: Dagger (+4 damage, melee); Shortbow (+6 damage, ranged)

Wizard: Quarterstaff (+4 damage, melee); Wand of Magic Missiles (+4 damage, ranged)

Arcane: (Single-use bonuses to attack or skills)

Fighter: Potion of True Strike (+20 damage on next attack)

Cleric: Charm Person (1 monster attacks another on next attack)

Rogue: Potion of invisibility (+20 damage on next attack; sneak attack)

Wizard: Scroll of Spider Climb (+4 damage (height); overcomes climbing challenges)

Divine: (Single-use bonuses to defense or skills)

Fighter: Potion of Cure Light Wounds (+6 health)

Cleric: Scroll of Sanctuary (Cannot be attacked for one round)

Rogue: Potion of Friendship (NPC sells equipment at half cost)

Wizard: Potion of Mage Armor (+4 to armor)

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.