Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

Video games make history in 2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7156701.stm

_44316969_halo416.jpg

The last 12 months have been one of the best years in video game history, both critically and commercially. Gamers have been able to revel in some of the most exhilarating interactive experiences ever designed.

Sales in the UK are at an all-time high, with more than £1.52bn taken in the last 12 months.

Some video games crossed over into blockbuster entertainment territory. Halo 3, for example, earned £84m in its first 24 hours on sale.

Many people will be joining the gaming revolution this Christmas - but what were the games which had people talking in the past year?

The stand out moments for many gamers include Master Chief delivering his "Wake me when you need me" line in Halo 3, to the nuclear bomb blast in Call of Duty 4, the arrival in Rapture in Bioshock, and the innovative gaming of Super Mario Galaxy.

But what did our expert judges pick out as their game of the year?

DAVID AMOR, RELENTLESS GAMES

1. Ratchet and Clank - PlayStation 3

This was the first time I have looked at the visuals of a video game and thought I was playing a Pixar movie.

There was just no difference between the interactive and non-interactive sequences in the game.

_44255009_mario203.jpg Mario is many people's game of the year

2. Super Mario Galaxy - Nintendo Wii

Mario games are always fun and it's always interesting to see what gameplay dynamics are introduced.

There was a lot of pressure for it to succeed - and it does.

3. Command and Conquer - PC

I played the demo and got drawn in. The online aspect of the game is now so established and so mature. The game shows just how far online experiences have come in a short space of time.

DAVID BRABEN, FRONTIER GAMES

1. The Darkness - Xbox 360

It may be very cliched and did not really offer an open experience, it felt like it did. It was a very interesting world to play in and having seen so many games over so many years, something interesting always surprises.

_44316971_bioshock203.jpg Bioshock's production values have been praised

2. Bioshock - PC and Xbox 360

This was a really beautiful game. The architecture, 1950s-style production design and graphics were first rate.

The gameplay felt like something we had seen before but the world was so beautifully realised.

3. Halo 3 - Xbox 360

The game had not really moved on from previous Halo titles, other than in its online play.

There's something very immersive about playing it on a big screen. And for many developers this is the game, the standard they are aiming for.

MARGARET ROBERTSON, GAMES CONSULTANT

_44316977_ff203.jpg Final Fantasy games are always very polished

1. Super Mario Galaxy

It has more ideas in it than any other game I can remember playing for years. It's so innovative and so bold and technically very good.

And because it is so much fun and so good to play you forget how technically proficient it actually is.

2. Final Fantasy XII - PlayStation 2

It's astoundingly accomplished. It may be an old game series but its still innovative - and with all Final Fantasy games it is beautiful and technically excellent.

3. Planet Puzzle League - Nintendo DS

It's a simple idea, beautifully produced and one of my favourite puzzle games ever.

TONY MOTT, EDGE EDITOR

_44316974_drake203.jpg Drake: PlayStation 3's best game of 2007?

1. Super Mario Galaxy

It is a video game in the truest sense of the term. Colourful, fun-filled with lots of play around with.

2. The Orange Box - PC, PS3, Xbox 360

I really enjoyed Portal because was something different and innovative. I have always enjoyed the Half Life series and to get the two episodic games with Half Life 2 itself is great value.

3. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - PlayStation 3

This has finally given people a reason to play PlayStation 3. It is not a very long game but it is unashamed fun.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

1. Ratchet and Clank - PlayStation 3

This was the first time I have looked at the visuals of a video game and thought I was playing a Pixar movie.

There was just no difference between the interactive and non-interactive sequences in the game.

I saw some clips of Ratchet and Clank for the PS3 and it was pretty damn impressive. everything in the environment was interactive.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Ratchet and Clank is amazing. I beat it last week. Its not really a challenging game, but it wasn't meant to be. Its a game for anyone that loves to blow a bunch of stuff up with insanely overpowered weapons with hidden area hunting and the occasional puzzle.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!