Sign in to follow this  
gokuDX7

6 states defy law requiring ID cards

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-06-18-id-cards_N.htm

WASHINGTON — Six state legislatures are defying a federal law requiring new driver's licenses that aim to prevent identity theft, fraud and terrorism.

The states have passed laws in the past two months, saying the federal law has a steep cost and invades privacy by requiring 240 million Americans to get highly secure licenses by 2013. The 9/11 Commission urged the first standards for licenses to stop fraud and terrorists such as the Sept. 11 hijackers, who lied on residency statements to get licenses and state IDs.

Lawmakers in Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Washington say new standards would be expensive to implement and result in a national ID card that compromises privacy. The National Conference of State Legislatures estimates that it will cost states more than $11 billion......

Down with national ID and RFID. I support my state!

"The people of New Hampshire are adamantly opposed to any kind of 'papers-please' society reminiscent of Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia," said Neal Kurk, a Republican state representative from New Hampshire. "This is another effort of the federal government to keep track of all its citizens."

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

I'm for a national ID card. Its not going to change anything, The government keeps track of you anyways, I'd like my identity safe. That Neal Kurk is a complete moron, a national ID card is nothing like Nazi Germany. The East German Stasi kept better tabs on its citizens than the NSDAP's Gestapo ever did. Neither had a so called national ID, and the only reason you needed papers was to cross into West Germany.

According the the constitution states cannot violate Federal Law, there block wont stand up. If the feds say we'll have a national ID by 2013, count on it.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

The government keeps track of you anyways, I'd like my identity safe.

So you want to make it that much easier for them yet still have your identity safe? I'm sorry but that wont work lol.

by the way, the states don't have to follow this law per say. Department of Homeland Security issued draft regulations on March 1, 2007, explaining how the states can meet these standards without the need to follow the National ID/Real ID act. So in short we can say screw you to the government and keep our drivers license, passports, and social security numbers as long as we have the appropriate info on the cards.

Also the current amount of states that disagree with the National ID/Real ID act is above 6 you can see the updated list here http://legislatorsagainstrealid.com/. Its actually 16.

To further add, I don't think your gonna want an RFID chip in your arm in 2010 that keeps tabs on everything you do all around the world. Because that's what their going to introduce soon. They want to establish an international id where they can easily give and take personal data.

sig.php

A national ID card is only a tangible Social Security Number. It wont really make it easier than it already is. All your credit cards, bills, loans, paychecks, etc have your SSN tied to it. It wont be any different. The only thing that will be different is that illegal immigrants will have an impossible time getting a job. And fake IDs would become a federal offense for all you little kiddies that can't drink yet. Its all ridiculous paranoia. I really could care less if the government knew everything I did. I don't plan on betraying my country or performing any illegal acts. It would be foolish to think the government doesn't know much about you just because there is no card. Its not like they are going to put you in the news paper for going to a strip club or something.

As for the RFID chip by 2010? I highly doubt that despite what discussions might have taken place on it. Only 2 years to implement such a thing is impossible. The government is slow and the general public is stupid. If they ever were to do that, it would be 2018 at the nearest just to get started. They would have had to set up the phases to go through, and deadlines to perform them by at the beginning of the current year to hope to have it done by 2010, and it would cost and astronomical price to do it as well.

A national ID card is only a tangible Social Security Number. It wont really make it easier than it already is. All your credit cards, bills, loans, paychecks, etc have your SSN tied to it. It wont be any different. The only thing that will be different is that illegal immigrants will have an impossible time getting a job. And fake IDs would become a federal offense for all you little kiddies that can't drink yet. Its all ridiculous paranoia. I really could care less if the government knew everything I did. I don't plan on betraying my country or performing any illegal acts. It would be foolish to think the government doesn't know much about you just because there is no card. Its not like they are going to put you in the news paper for going to a strip club or something.

As for the RFID chip by 2010? I highly doubt that despite what discussions might have taken place on it. Only 2 years to implement such a thing is impossible. The government is slow and the general public is stupid. If they ever were to do that, it would be 2018 at the nearest just to get started. They would have had to set up the phases to go through, and deadlines to perform them by at the beginning of the current year to hope to have it done by 2010, and it would cost and astronomical price to do it as well.

The National ID supply's all your info on one card not just your drivers license or SS. I don't know about you but I don't feel safe with all my info on one card. Imagen loosing it and not noticing for a day or two? There goes your life. Speaking of which our whole SS number isn't even written on our drivers licenses. Its just 4 digits.

RFID is already being used in north western Canada and in some southern states for testing. So even if it was to wait till 2018 it's still going to come and it's still gonna give the government access to your whole life. National ID is paving the way for that. Why would you feel safe with GPS attached in your skin telling the government everywhere you went or inform them what your spending your money on everyday? Figuratively speaking, that's exactly like having a barb wire fence around you with Nazi soldiers watching you walk around with your numbers showing.

Thats infringing on our freedom of privacy no matter how you look at it and people that don't have an opinion or "don't care either way what happens" are the ones that screw this country up in the future. Same goes for the people that don't vote. I'm not saying you're one of these people, but from your comment above It certainly seemed it.

sig.php

I've voted in every election since I was able to register.

Do you have a cell phone? You might as well toss it in the garbage, its one big GPS beacon and the government can easily find you anywhere at anytime. So the government knows what kind of groceries you buy and the video games you own... so? Do you honestly think they'll care to keep track of any of that unless you are person of interest? It will go into some information bank that will never be looked at again.

For the record, There was no such thing as Nazi soldiers. the NSDAP was a political party, the professional military was never apart of the party. They only swore an oath to Hitler after President Paul von Hendinburg died, because Hitler got rid of the SA. The Waffen SS was an elite fighting unit separate from the military and they never monitored people. I wish everyone would just stop throwing around the world Nazi like they know everything about it and can compare with anything they disapprove of. Nazi Germany did not actually keep tabs on anyone except for the Jews, Communists, and Foreigners. The basic German population were unaffected, and only the allusion of heavy surveillance was created with propaganda fueled by ones paranoia. A national ID card or RFID chip has nothing to do with the Third Reich, so stop comparing it to it.

What southern states? I live in the south and I have heard nothing of this. This is the bible belt, it would create a end of the world scare like no other, unless its taking place in Florida. The only place I know such tech is being used is the ultra rich in Cali. It only carries your medical information at that. Its being tested else were for animal tagging.

If you lost your card, it could be replaced, just like your social security card can be replaced. All the national id card is, is a national standardized drivers licenses with some extra baggage. If someone picked it up, its about the same as having some one else's ID card, they cant ruin your credit or anything. All you information? Like medical, criminal record, personal information. There isn't much to put on it. It would save you a lot of wallet space if they put your insurance and all the other good stuff too. All it really does is condense the 5-10 identification cards you have into one.

I never said "I don't care what happens either way". Where did I ever say that? I didn't. I hope we do get a national ID card. I did say that. I also said I don't care if the government knows what I am doing because it's nothing of real interest. Its not like they are going to know you downloaded music for free, because you have a standardized identification card.

If you are a citizen of the United States, the government already has access to your whole life. This chip or card isn't all of the sudden going to be some new revelation. "freedom" is such a figurative term that too many people take to literally. We aren't free. You can't just hop on a plane leave the continent. You need a passport, the government knows where you go regardless. Do they care? I doubt it, you don't seem to be a threat to national security.

I've voted in every election since I was able to register.

Do you have a cell phone? You might as well toss it in the garbage, its one big GPS beacon and the government can easily find you anywhere at anytime. So the government knows what kind of groceries you buy and the video games you own... so? Do you honestly think they'll care to keep track of any of that unless you are person of interest? It will go into some information bank that will never be looked at again.

For the record, There was no such thing as Nazi soldiers. the NSDAP was a political party, the professional military was never apart of the party. They only swore an oath to Hitler after President Paul von Hendinburg died, because Hitler got rid of the SA. The Waffen SS was an elite fighting unit separate from the military and they never monitored people. I wish everyone would just stop throwing around the world Nazi like they know everything about it and can compare with anything they disapprove of. Nazi Germany did not actually keep tabs on anyone except for the Jews, Communists, and Foreigners. The basic German population were unaffected, and only the allusion of heavy surveillance was created with propaganda fueled by ones paranoia. A national ID card or RFID chip has nothing to do with the Third Reich, so stop comparing it to it.

What southern states? I live in the south and I have heard nothing of this. This is the bible belt, it would create a end of the world scare like no other, unless its taking place in Florida. The only place I know such tech is being used is the ultra rich in Cali. It only carries your medical information at that. Its being tested else were for animal tagging.

If you lost your card, it could be replaced, just like your social security card can be replaced. All the national id card is, is a national standardized drivers licenses with some extra baggage. If someone picked it up, its about the same as having some one else's ID card, they cant ruin your credit or anything. All you information? Like medical, criminal record, personal information. There isn't much to put on it. It would save you a lot of wallet space if they put your insurance and all the other good stuff too. All it really does is condense the 5-10 identification cards you have into one.

I never said "I don't care what happens either way". Where did I ever say that? I didn't. I hope we do get a national ID card. I did say that. I also said I don't care if the government knows what I am doing because it's nothing of real interest. Its not like they are going to know you downloaded music for free, because you have a standardized identification card.

If you are a citizen of the United States, the government already has access to your whole life. This chip or card isn't all of the sudden going to be some new revelation. "freedom" is such a figurative term that too many people take to literally. We aren't free. You can't just hop on a plane leave the continent. You need a passport, the government knows where you go regardless. Do they care? I doubt it, you don't seem to be a threat to national security.

I was not trying to explain the history of WW2. Nazi soldiers, Nazi Germany, SS...whatever, you got the point that I was trying to make. If you didn't then sorry I guess I'll have to be a bit more in your face clear. How's this, it would be like Jews in a concentration camp being watched 24/7 by the guards. Is that better? good.

If you loose your SS card you're in deep shit. Have you ever lost your card or given your number to one of those scam people that call you on the phone? If not then go toss it somewhere or post it on the web and see what happens. It's like loosing a credit card only worse. Now assuming we do get forced to use a National ID that has everything about us on it. If you loose that you're even more screwed. Wow but I guess you don't care since you can replace it huh? However you can't replace what happens in the time that you lost the card. I suppose you would just brush it off though since you got a new card right?

Do a search for RFID in America. You will find a few states already "testing" it on people that are willing to try it. Like I said I've only heard of a few southern states using it. I don't remember what states they where since the news was months ago but I guess if its that much of an issue for you I can go search digg and hopefully find the links again when I have free time.

"I don't care if the government knows what I am doing" is almost like saying you don't care either way. Sorry if I was wrong about what you said but it's just how it sounded to me.

Thats true the government does know almost everything about us however its not as simple as typing in a number and pulling up our life's history. So why make it more simple for them to snoop into your life? That makes no sense at all no matter how you look at it.

As much as I like arguing with you (not), I think this post battle will be one of those that we continue to go around in circles and never resolve. So I think I'm just gonna accept that you have a different opinion and not bother posting about it anymore as I hope you will do the same.

sig.php

I think I gotta agree with Dx's This is the bible belt, it would create a end of the world scare like no other...

the religious nuts would see it as the whole mark of the beast end times crap and then we'll have a shit storm of controversy with some fantasy about the end of the world at its center. If there is one thing history has shown us it is that "christians" are blood thirsty. I don't count on the nut jobs sittin still over somethin like this.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I was not trying to explain the history of WW2. Nazi soldiers, Nazi Germany, SS...whatever, you got the point that I was trying to make. If you didn't then sorry I guess I'll have to be a bit more in your face clear. How's this, it would be like Jews in a concentration camp being watched 24/7 by the guards. Is that better? good.

If you loose your SS card you're in deep shit. Have you ever lost your card or given your number to one of those scam people that call you on the phone? If not then go toss it somewhere or post it on the web and see what happens. It's like loosing a credit card only worse. Now assuming we do get forced to use a National ID that has everything about us on it. If you loose that you're even more screwed. Wow but I guess you don't care since you can replace it huh? However you can't replace what happens in the time that you lost the card. I suppose you would just brush it off though since you got a new card right?

Do a search for RFID in America. You will find a few states already "testing" it on people that are willing to try it. Like I said I've only heard of a few southern states using it. I don't remember what states they where since the news was months ago but I guess if its that much of an issue for you I can go search digg and hopefully find the links again when I have free time.

"I don't care if the government knows what I am doing" is almost like saying you don't care either way. Sorry if I was wrong about what you said but it's just how it sounded to me.

Thats true the government does know almost everything about us however its not as simple as typing in a number and pulling up our life's history. So why make it more simple for them to snoop into your life? That makes no sense at all no matter how you look at it.

As much as I like arguing with you (not), I think this post battle will be one of those that we continue to go around in circles and never resolve. So I think I'm just gonna accept that you have a different opinion and not bother posting about it anymore as I hope you will do the same.

I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm defending my own. Not losing you ID card is just as easy as not losing your SS card, simple as that. You're death camp comparison still doesn't relate to the situation. The whole nazi this and nazi that is old and ignorant. No one should compare a simple thing to one of the most horrific events the world has ever seen. A lot of people use it to scare ignorant people off.

I leave you with this. The license plate on your car is the equivalent of a national ID card. Any one in a police cruiser can type in those numbers into their computer and it will pull you up in a database and tell them everything they need to know about you. You criminal record, height, weight, SSN, any tickets or warrants you have on you. Its that easy. Imagine what the feds have in their computer system that is tied to your SSN. The card will make no difference in how easy it is. I have yet to lose my SSN card, and I never will. The national ID card would work kind of like a credit card in the sense that your personal info will reside inside a chip in the card. You call a number, and deactivate it upon losing it. I also double checked... my drivers licences has my whole SSN number on it. I've lived in two states since I have gained the right to drive, and both times my entire SSN was listed on the card.

A national ID card is only a tangible Social Security Number. It wont really make it easier than it already is. All your credit cards, bills, loans, paychecks, etc have your SSN tied to it. It wont be any different. The only thing that will be different is that illegal immigrants will have an impossible time getting a job. And fake IDs would become a federal offense for all you little kiddies that can't drink yet.
As is it people have fake non-driver photo IDs or fake driver photo IDs, but they cannot fake a Social Security card. I think having a National ID won't stop people from employing workers to work in their Deli stores, Grocery stores, warehouses and pay them off the books. What should change is reforms on employment. Corporates as a mandate require you to provide documentation that verifies your legal stay within the US. The loop is in smaller stores, small businesses, etc. The Social Security card is already tied into your life, so why complicate things with having 2 cards that do the same thing? What must change is employer's policy on hiring, and the government must lay strict rules and routine checks to ensure the same. Mind you, my foolish post is only toward the statement in bold ^_^, I'm all in favor of having LEGAL migrants in any country *folds hands on his chest and nods*.

EDIT: This reminded me of the time I read they picked up over 4000 illegal immigrants in Long Island New York mid this year.

The other thing people don't realize is that every migrant comes in with a PASSPORT. I for one protect my passport with my life, without it I'm screwed. FOR MIGRANTS - why not add the passport number information within the internal network which also implements the Social Security information? I think it's a safer bet. Passports come with validity, and visa information, which is the real thing that can track someone or distinguish someone from overstaying in the country or coming here on a visiting visa and not leaving. For example: SUPPOSE I have my social security card, but SUPPOSE if my visa's valid only till the end of this year, it doesn't mean my social will expire with it? I can work for a small deli and present my social security card, and the social will tell them I pay my rent every month and I have good or bad credit. It won't tell the person that I'm illegal or out of status.

Another flaw in my post, the last (above) example I used with the knowledge I have gained so far, and I don't know whether things come up when you're filing taxes or whether there are more failsafe methods of keeping illegal immigrants in check. So I apologize in advance ... I've just completed a year here, am still learning stuff on the legal system (more so pertaining to US Immigration), and still have to go through everything hah!

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm defending my own. Not losing you ID card is just as easy as not losing your SS card, simple as that. You're death camp comparison still doesn't relate to the situation. The whole nazi this and nazi that is old and ignorant. No one should compare a simple thing to one of the most horrific events the world has ever seen. A lot of people use it to scare ignorant people off.

I leave you with this. The license plate on your car is the equivalent of a national ID card. Any one in a police cruiser can type in those numbers into their computer and it will pull you up in a database and tell them everything they need to know about you. You criminal record, height, weight, SSN, any tickets or warrants you have on you. Its that easy. Imagine what the feds have in their computer system that is tied to your SSN. The card will make no difference in how easy it is. I have yet to lose my SSN card, and I never will. The national ID card would work kind of like a credit card in the sense that your personal info will reside inside a chip in the card. You call a number, and deactivate it upon losing it. I also double checked... my drivers licences has my whole SSN number on it. I've lived in two states since I have gained the right to drive, and both times my entire SSN was listed on the card.

Unfortunately not everyone is as smart as you when it comes to loosing things. Most people don't even relies they lost anything till a few weeks later, after they come back from a trip, or when they need to use it.

The license's on your car is a state run thing. Your state keeps the info updated not the Department of Homeland Security. Thus the info is not saved in one database. It's more of a network. I suppose it would be the same thing but I personaly dont trust the Department of Homeland Security or the government for that matter right now. Id much rather it stay the way it is. States run the show and the government just puts out the rules of what needs to be made available.

Our country gave the states power to prevent a "one power" system. So why are they trying to change that now? I just don't see why or how a national ID will make things that much better. People are still going to come into this country illegally, still get a job with small company's and still try to get married to get US residents. There's nothing stopping them from stealing a bike and using that as a means of transportation or selling drugs to make a living. The government needs to spend it's money on something better and not try and force the states to use Tax payers money.

Its already apparent that most of the states appose this law simply because it's going to cost them an arm and a leg to implement. So I suppose we can leave it up to the states to decide in the long run.

sig.php

The licensing commission is indeed run by each state, but it is all dumped into a national database that every level of law enforcement uses, I forgot the name of it. Any cop in any state can pull up your information based off your license plate. If this wasn't the case, they would never catch criminals that managed to flee the state.

By having a national ID card, You can require all business to have their workers registered by their card. Any unauthorized payments to illegal immigrants, minors, or anything else under the table can then be punishable even more harsh that it is now. There is so much potential in the card, that will cut out all the red tape and other BS you have to go through to do anything. It would actually save money and effort in the long run. The Social Security card could serve as a temporary place holder from the time you are an infant to a certain age where you will need to get the ID card.

The United States of America is a one power system. The states and the federal government are equal figuratively speaking. The Articles of Confederation never worked, and the nation almost fell apart under it, that is why state government cannot override the federal government. The feds can't infringe on certain state rights, but when it comes down two it they really have more power than the states. And they really reached far down in the cookie jar after the Civil War. There is a literal meaning and then there is how it really is. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but its how it really is. We're fed all these lies in elementary school on about how we are free, and this that and the other. But its nothing like that at all. Its not always best to leave it up to the States, the time before our Constitution is only proof of that. This is was congress is for, states vote their reps in, and they make the decisions.

This is was congress is for, states vote their reps in, and they make the decisions.

..and this is why 16 have voted to appose the law and not implement the system for their states and several others have not done anything yet. They should save the money and update the SS system since it can clearly do everything you just said only without binding your drivers license and other ids to it.

sig.php

This law came from congress. They voted on the bill and it passed. 2/3rd of both the house and the senate approved of the bill. 1/3 of 50 is 16 rounded down to the nearest tenth.

State Legislators are not congress. 0_o

What if they did update the SS system? If you lost your card it will have the same results as you feared. I keep all the ID's i have in on place, if i ever did lose them, Id lose them all, wouldn't matter if it was on one card or on many. Its not like I have many. There isn't many to have.

I look at a National ID as progress, but thats just me. I've never been one that was satisfied with the status quo.

This law came from congress. They voted on the bill and it passed. 2/3rd of both the house and the senate approved of the bill. 1/3 of 50 is 16 rounded down to the nearest tenth.

State Legislators are not congress. 0_o

What if they did update the SS system? If you lost your card it will have the same results as you feared. I keep all the ID's i have in on place, if i ever did lose them, Id lose them all, wouldn't matter if it was on one card or on many. Its not like I have many. There isn't many to have.

I look at a National ID as progress, but thats just me. I've never been one that was satisfied with the status quo.

I carry a copy of my SS with me at all times because of the very fact that I lost it under my bed one day when I was cleaning. Adding another card that does almost the exact same thing as the SS card, drivers license, and passport is pointless. They should just update the SS system and use that as a means to determine if you're an immigrant or not.

Watch this video

its a bit old but it gives realistic points on why the Real ID/National ID is not right. Search youtube for more that may be a little more valid.

The government is essentially going to act like your mother and take away things from you when you mess up. This wont solve the Immigrant problem or terrorist problem at all. This is just a means for them to control and watch us. The government should spend more enforcing the border and not spying on its citizens. But hey thats just my opinion.

sig.php

I watched about half of it and that was enough. low budget propaganda that is trying to get viewers, is what that amounts too. It reminds me of those religious nuts that try to tell you the end is coming soon. They are essentially saying that the constitution will be thrown in the trash because of an Identification card.

It actually says, if you refuse to have a card, you wont have certain privileges. If you "mess up" you normally have things taken away from you anyways... like your freedom for a few years, and the right to vote and bare arms. Anyone that breaks the law deserves to be punished and refused the rights in which they have infringed on.

Anyone can put together a list of why its not good, and everyone only looks at it that way. Its an easy media tactic that works very well. Just the same someone can put together a highlight real of the average football player, by showing every good play he's ever managed to pull off and make him look like a superstar. There is always two sides to everything. I look at both sides on my own and decide where i stand.

You cant defend the boarder because people look down on shooting at people trying to cross over. The next best thing is letting them starve when they cant get a job, enter any federal buildings like banks, or even a post office to mail money back. Western Union should require the card as well.

You cant defend the boarder because people look down on shooting at people trying to cross over. The next best thing is letting them starve when they cant get a job, enter any federal buildings like banks, or even a post office to mail money back. Western Union should require the card as well.

That wasn't propaganda. Although the 9/11 thing was. You probably should have watched till the end.

umm most already starve. Did you watch that 60 days thing with the same guy that had nothing but Macdonald's food for 60 days? Forgot his name. He had an episode with a border control guy that switched places for 60 days and spent it with some illegals that hopped the border. They lived in a small abandoned house with like 13 people in it (one family i'm assuming). Most did work for non company's so they wouldn't have to deal with legal cards, ids, or banks of any kind. Things like yard work, taking cans to the dump to exchange them for money, baby sitting..etc

So I think no matter what happens, it wont stop criminals or illegal immigrants from doing what they've been doing. It's just going to tie more ropes around us and cause the government to have more control over what we do and also things they've never had full control over before. It's almost like the age old argument about making people take a long test and take classes to obtain a gun license is going to help prevent robbery's and shootings. I suppose this would help educate the normal people about how to handle a gun and not accidentally shoot someone wile cleaning it but it wont stop criminals. They don't even obtain a gun legitimity so what makes people think they would take a class lol. Same goes for driving a car. Most people that rob banks or get pulled over for doing stupid things don't even have a license anymore let alone a car. What's a National ID gonna do about that? Probably nothing different then whats already being done. But when it comes down to real honest people like us, if we slip up for some reason or another and do something that the government feels is wrong or someone is unconstitutional then we have to deal with the reproductions. Pay your taxes late? Well then Mr, You loose your license and travailing privileges for a year. Forget to call your state to update your National ID info since you just moved? Ops you loose your license and ability to use the bank for a few months. I'm fine with Airports, banks, the DMV, post office, even States having their own form of authenticity to find out who we are but I'm not ok with the government accessing my entire life neatly sorted in a central database on a computer. I'm not paranoid I'm just not ok with them accessing private data that should only be seen by the appropriate people (ie. Passport is for Airport as Bank account is for Bank).

I just don't see how this will benefit us as a nation. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for protecting the country and preventing illegal immigrants from entering but I honestly think we should take a step back and look at what needs to be improved before trying to create a whole new system of policing the country. The border as it is, is only protected by a few paid people. Theres also the normal people that contribute their free time to watch the fences and report to the real border control when they see people hopping it. Obviously there's nothing that can really be done because there's a lack of personal working on the borders. The fence needs updating as well. Its literally a chain linked fence with barbed wire on the top.....fucken put up a concrete wall. Hell that would cost less then what its going to cost each state to implement the National ID with Tax payers money.

Should we continue because this looks like its gonna go on forever lol.

sig.php

Ok, this turned into a rather odd discussion. My two cents, however....

I personally don't see how this invades a person's privacy. This is information the government ALREADY KNOWS about you. I do think it's a bit paranoid to require everyone to get a seperate ID just so you can get on the airplane though. Why not encode a national ID number on your DL/state ID that they can scan and look up? That makes more sense to me. After all, airports already require photo IDs to board a plane, so if they change it to a state-issued photo ID/DL, that's really not going to put many people out. Also, saying it's pointless to carry yet another card around with all your information is a silly arguement to me. Why would you still need the others if you have just one card with all your info? Think about it, if those cards are all in your wallet and it gets stolen or lost, you're just as screwed with one card vs. three or four. *shrugs* People are afraid of a 'big brother' type of thing coming out of this, and I just don't see that. The national governemnt already has ways to track people. They're not just assigning SS numbers for the fun of it. Having all the information under one number makes it easier on them. My only real concern is identity theft. Having all your info under one number makes that easier too.

As for the RFID tag, yeah, that's not going to happen by 2010. Maybe it'll be offically out of testing by then, but it would be way too expensive to mandate that EVERYONE has one. I think it's a good idea, in that you can store name, address, emergency contact, and any medical problems on it so the hospitial knows who you are and if you're deathly allergic to something.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

As for the RFID tag, yeah, that's not going to happen by 2010. Maybe it'll be offically out of testing by then, but it would be way too expensive to mandate that EVERYONE has one. I think it's a good idea, in that you can store name, address, emergency contact, and any medical problems on it so the hospitial knows who you are and if you're deathly allergic to something.

Apparently It's already on the National ID. Injection/implanting probably wont happen anytime soon though, like you said. Probably around 2025 or something.

So they can and will track you once you get your card. It also appears to keep a digital copy of your finger prints and retinal scans.

sig.php

Sign in to follow this