Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

Ice storm in US claims 15 lives

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7137682.stm

An ice storm sweeping the central United States has left at least 15 people dead amid warnings of more freezing weather to come. More than 600,000 homes and businesses were left without electricity after icy winds toppled power lines and trees.

Forecasters have issued winter storm warnings for parts of Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and Texas.

Ice up to 1in (2.5cm) thick coated parts of Oklahoma and Missouri, where states of emergency have been declared.

"The predictions were pretty grim and they're still not good at all," said meteorologist Noelle Runyan.

o.gif start_quote_rb.gif All night I could hear the sounds of tree limbs breaking and falling to the ground end_quote_rb.gif

Blake Thornberry, Oklahoma

inline_dashed_line.gif

The worst-hit states so far have been Oklahoma and Missouri, where at least 13 people have died on roads made treacherous by driving sleet and ice.

Twelve people were killed in road accidents in Oklahoma over the weekend, including four who died in an 11-vehicle pile-up on the ice-covered Interstate 40, west of Okemah.

A highway accident claimed another life in Missouri, while a homeless man died of hypothermia in Oklahoma City.

News agencies said at least one other person died, but it was not clear where.

The governor of Missouri, Matt Blunt, warned: "We are only just beginning to see the devastation from this series of storms."

Flights were grounded at Tulsa International Airport, while hundreds more flights were cancelled at major air hubs in Chicago, Kansas City, St Louis and Oklahoma City.

Electricity companies in Oklahoma said that some half a million customers were without power after lines snapped under the weight of ice and falling trees.

"This is a big one. We've got a massive situation here and it's probably going to be a week to 10 days before we get power on to everybody," Ed Bettinger, a spokesman for Public Service Company told the Associated Press news agency.

More than 100,000 people in Missouri also lost power, with several thousand others in Illinois and Kansas also suffering blackouts.

_44294067_usa_flood_416.gif

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

poor bastards must be freezin their asses off

maybe now they'll recycle

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this