Sledgstone

Dreamcast 2

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26087196&sid=6183780&om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;5

With a system like the wii out and doing extremely well do you think Sega could possibly make another system at some point and possibly get back in the hardware business? they wouldn't have to spend nearly as much money on higher end hardware and take a cue from Nintendo's strategy. if Sega did make another system do you think there would be enough fan support for Sega from people to buy another system of their's considering the previous abrupt ends of the sega saturn and Dreamcast systems?

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26087196&sid=6183780&om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;5

With a system like the wii out and doing extremely well do you think Sega could possibly make another system at some point and possibly get back in the hardware business? they wouldn't have to spend nearly as much money on higher end hardware and take a cue from Nintendo's strategy. if Sega did make another system do you think there would be enough fan support for Sega from people to buy another system of their's considering the previous abrupt ends of the sega saturn and Dreamcast systems?

It was a false alarm http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/06/debunk-sega-protects-the-dreamcast-trademark-not-doing-another/

They where just updating their trademarks. They don't intend on fighting in the console market anymore.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

I think this is the 2nd time I've read rumors of a DC2. Someone just likes pulling Sega fans' chains.

Also it would get no support from me; I hate sonic.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Most likely no. I highly doubt Sega would stand a chance in today's console market since the bar has been raised pretty damn high for anyone willing to come in now. The 360 and PS3 would be hard to contend with graphics and hardware wise, they're beasts and considering how well the Dreamcast did I doubt they'd be able to make something up to those specs.

Though the Wii is doing well we have to look at it from a different aspect then power and hardware. Considering the Wii is just a Gamecube slimmed down (graphics wise, I do realize there is different hardware on the system, I just consider it a slimmed down GC) it doesn't hold well in that market. Wii's success has to do with it's family appeal and innovative controller (as much as I hate the Wii-mote I admit it's pretty damn innovative). This is the main reason it's outsold both the 360 and PS3.

Should Sega one day decide to come back onto the console market it's either going to have to build a powerhouse machine to contend with the PS3 and 360 or it's going to have to go the same way as Nintendo did and make a console that's more family oriented. I don't really see Sega being able to pull this off from both a designer mindset nor do I see it from a consumer mindset. They'd have to make some pretty big changes to come back into the console market and I just don't really see it being possible for Sega.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Those are some good points strider. and I'd have to say thats a pretty accurate assessment.

I can only think of one way sega could pull off another console. Sega would have to merge with another game developer company. It would benefit them two-fold, get an influx of cash just to get back into console development/marketing/etc., and give them a large list of exclusive company owned titles made just for their new system. A few years from now and most of the hardware in the xbox 360 and the ps2 will drop in cost substantially, which is pretty obvious from the ps3's $600 to $400 price drop in just the past year and half or so. But even if sega didn't go into the full hardware war and went with something a little more slimed down (probably not as much as the wii), if they had a large variety of exclusive titles, I think they might have a chance again.

Of course thats just a theory and I highly doubt anything like that would take place, and even if it did theres no guarantee that it would sell huge or not. Also, with the dreamcast, sega outsourced a chunk of that development to microsoft, which with their own system now (probably inspired partly by their dreamcast work), sega will need to get a whole new hardware development team. The only positive sega does have compared to the newer systems is their experience in online capabilities. The dreamcast came standard with a modem with an online community and online content before the ps2 ever came out or even offered a network adapter for their system.

Overall tho, I don't see how sega could possibly pull any of this off.

With the increasing number of independent developers being bought out by big-name publishers, exclusive titles are becoming less and less common. No publisher is going to become exclusive to a single platform because it would severely limit their number of potential customers.

It's only a matter of time before we'll only have one console to choose from, and we can finally end the hardware debate and go back to actually playing games. Give it a few years. If Sony tries to push more ridiculous hardware with their next console, it's almost a guarantee.

what is the what.

With the increasing number of independent developers being bought out by big-name publishers, exclusive titles are becoming less and less common. No publisher is going to become exclusive to a single platform because it would severely limit their number of potential customers.

It's only a matter of time before we'll only have one console to choose from, and we can finally end the hardware debate and go back to actually playing games. Give it a few years. If Sony tries to push more ridiculous hardware with their next console, it's almost a guarantee.

The problem with that thought is without competition there isn't much real reason to make another console. Unless it were to go back to Console vs. PC. Plus there's no way Microsoft or Sony would just back down & admit defeat in any console war.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Off Topic:

holy crap all the old farts are coming out of the woodwork *pokes Cammy and Pimp*

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

From what I've seen exclusive titles are becoming much more prominent. So many titles are coming out exclusively on cell phones now for example (final fantasy games, etc.) and many titles exclusively for the DS (kingdom hearts sequels) and the PSP (prince of persia, god of war, etc.). Nintendo and the wiimote and the DS touch screens scream of exclusivity because games have to be customly made to play on those systems and those systems alone.

I think you're right about no one publisher becoming exclusive to a single platform tho, except for the publishers that own the console, nintendo/microsoft. I think the days of publishers like square making exclusively for the playstation are long gone, but now there is cross-platformed exclusives instead. Two completely different Valkyrie Profile games for the PSP and the PS2, completely different KH games spanning 3 different systems, etc. With all the hardware completely different from home consoles to cell phones, the market has grown so big they can't port the exact same game to every system anymore. The only systems that have the potential of not having exclusive titles are the PS3, Xbox 360 and the PC because their hardware is all similar enough for publishers to port their titles from one to the other.

I figure if cell phones and hand held systems are capable of making sales and keeping fans with old ps1 or even crappier graphic capabilities, the concept of sega getting back into the console or handheld (game gear) market doesn't seem all that farfetched to me anymore.

The dreamcast wasn't really all that great imho. To break back in, they'd need something revolutionary - perhaps wii-like. I don't think they have the money to do that (even if they hadn't said they would never make another console).

If Sega ever did one thing right it was handhelds. Gamegear had a color screen way before anyone at Nintendo thought up the idea. And the Nomad didn't port over Genessis games; it PLAYED genessis games. It's sad that the Nomad never took off.

Although the color screen was an actual "new and exciting idea!", the nonexistent battery life quickly turned the GameGear into the smallest home console on the market, since you had to sit at an electrical outlet to play. Sega lost the portable market's trust after that.

Tellah2.jpg

The dreamcast wasn't really all that great imho. To break back in, they'd need something revolutionary - perhaps wii-like.

Wow. I could rant on about this, but I'll just say that the DC was way more creative than Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo.

Wow. I could rant on about this, but I'll just say that the DC was way more creative than Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo.

Really? I didn't think it was anything special. But at the time, I'm not sure how creative any of those companies were, console-wise. There were some creative games, though.

Oh well, I'm still wishing Atari would have made a comeback. They are still the greatest name in console gaming. ;)

Really? I didn't think it was anything special. But at the time, I'm not sure how creative any of those companies were, console-wise. There were some creative games, though.

Oh well, I'm still wishing Atari would have made a comeback. They are still the greatest name in console gaming. ;)

I blame ET & how cheap it was to make games at the time causing tons of bad games. The only thing that brought gaming back was Nintendo's quality control.

Me too, the DC was quite innovative at the time. It was the first console to offer online connectivity and downloadable game content and came standard with a dial up modem. I think a network adapter came out later on that you could swap the modem out with, but I never got one.. I think the DC was online capable a year before the PS2 came out with a network adapter. I still think Soul Calibur 1 for the DC is a graphically stunning game compared to any PS2 game.