Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

PC Games Information

So, I finally decided I better get my act together and buy some good pc games that can work on my laptop. I had completely stopped getting games because my old system was just too gay on the graphics/ RAM/ memory front. I'm willing to get into the rut of gaming now though ...

1. What website is good to check out pc game reviews, information on releases on a daily/ weekly basis, etc.?

2. What games do you recommend from the recent gaming years.

Sorry for the silly questions, but I used to play a lot of Duke Nukem, Quake, Quake 2, Hexen, Doom, Half Life, airplane games etc. which are pretty old now, not played anything since then!

I have no preferences in terms of FPS, Role Playing, etc.

EDIT: My laptop specs (relevant~irrelevant info X'D) are in the Spoiler.

Inspiron 6400, Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB/2.00GHz/667MHz)

2GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm

256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemory

100GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

Microsoft Windows XP Home Service Pack 2, English

Backup media for XP Home

Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem

8X DVD+/-RW Drive

Sonic Digital Media, v7.0, My DVD

SoundBlaster Advanced Audio for XPS M1710

Media Direct 3.0

Sonic Digital Media Deluxe v7.0/MyDVD Deluxe v6.11

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Any game site will have reviews for PC games, I tend to prefer Gamespot though when it comes to game reviews.

Frick man go pick up Starcraft. Thats the only PC game you'll ever need. I'd say pick up WoW but it's too much of a time sink to get into. Outside of WoW I really can't recommend any PC games since I tend to stay out of PC Gaming as much as I can (outside of those RTS games that I absolutely have to play) though if you're looking for a good RTS thats come out recently go pick up World in Conflict. Freaking game looks awesome and it's gotten great reviews (I wish I could play it but sadly my laptop would have a hard time running it).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

I'm trying to stay away from multi-player gaming, because it means staying online daily or periodically to increase levels, and what not. Heck, I'm not sure I know how the whole multi-player gaming scene works because I'm just too scared to try it X'D, but I'm looking for something that I can play at my own convenience and such ... that prolly isn't web based. Put in the disc, play. Simple and sweet.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

go for older games and such...world in conflict will a bit of a trial on your specs....get games like the Diablo games or Starcraft or the Warcraft games and such....maybe Age of Empires and the such too...also games like command and conquer also XD....but ive listed all RTS games so heh

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Diablo II is fun and so is regular WarCraft I-III

But hands down you must have Half-Life Anthology pack and Half-Life 2

Oh and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, by far one of the best games I've ever played. KOTOR 2 is good, but a letdown from the first.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

For old school:

Still got your old Doom I and Doom II cds? install them and then install http://www.zdaemon.org/ Zdaemon allows you to play deathmatches, capture the flag, co-op matches with lots of people over the Internet. It also supports Hexin and a few other old school games.

Semi old school:

Starcraft(RTS), Read Alert(RTS), Command and Conquer(RTS), Diablo II.

For new school:

Eudemons (Free MMORPG), Dungeon Runners (Free MMORPG), Warrock (Free MMOFPS), ShatteredGalaxy (Free MMORTS), Voyage Century Online (Free MMORTS/RPG).

That should be enough to keep you going for a few months.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Sounds good guys, thanks for all the reccos!

Just curious, other than multi-player games, there hasn't been much good stuff out there in the recent years that isn't web based? How bout plane games?

I always liked the Wing Commander series. Of course its space flying and doesn't follow physics a lot, but what can you say.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

I always liked the Wing Commander series. Of course its space flying and doesn't follow physics a lot, but what can you say.

Did you ever go see the movie? LMAO X'D

Wing Commander and Colony Wars were such great series. Its sad we don't see much of them anymore.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I second the notion of Knights of the Old Republic. KotOR 2 is fun until the ending, so I would suggest getting it. Since you're not limited to 20 lvls like you are in the first one, you can really beef up. It's so much fun to run into a room of baddies and Force Storm and they're all dead. I sit there and giggle repeatidily. ^_^;;

As for other games, pick up Quake 3 Area. No story, just FPS, great for stress relief. I tend more towards RPGs, so one of my favorites is Dungeon Siege 1 and 2. Dungeon crawlers, but I really enjoyed them. Oh, and if your laptop will run it, go get Oblivion. The story is kinda crappy and short, but it's still a lot of fun to play and you can download free mods and extra quests that other people have made, so you can keep expanding it.

And if you ever decide to try a MMORPG, I can get you on my server in FFXI. *hinthint*

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Did you ever go see the movie? LMAO X'D

Wing Commander and Colony Wars were such great series. Its sad we don't see much of them anymore.

Another fine example of a video game to movie debacle. ^_^: If you thought the movie was bad, you should have seen the cartoon series. That didn't last long at all.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

You can watch all 13 glorious episodes of Wing Commander Academy at the following links for free! Use the CIC mirror links for direct downloads.

http://www.wcnews.com/wca/

http://www.wcnews.com/wca/download.shtml

Someone merged Wing Commander III's movie and in-game sequences into a two hour movie. Download the movie from the following preview link.

http://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7669