Sign in to follow this  
Dubird

Iran attacks Canada's human rights record

Ran across this one recently, thought I'd share.

Winnipeg Free Press:

UNITED NATIONS -- In a bid to discredit Canada at the United Nations, Iran is equipping world diplomats with a 70-page booklet on Canada's alleged human rights violations.

Written by Iran "in the name of God," the document asserts that the Canadian government denies its people food, clean water and the right to work.

"Routine unlawful strip and beatings by Canadian police has been a matter of concern for international community," notes the booklet, entitled Report on Human Rights Situation in Canada, adding that "the practice of police is alarming simply because I it is functioning as if there is no need to have judges."

The publication, which claims its allegations are drawn from "objective and factual information released by authentic and credible international sources", alleges that a range of human rights violations occur in Canada, especially toward aboriginal peoples and immigrants.

"To the great dismay of the international community, it is a great concern that the rights of women are violated, and no serious attention has been paid in promotion and protection of women's rights in Canada."

Moreover, the document concludes, "Canada's position as a self-declared standard-bearer on human rights has been demoted to a blind-folded-and-bullied follower of the new school of unilateralism and the axis of derailment of international human rights law."

The booklet emerges on the eve of the UN's annual summit, to be attended by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Foreign Minister Maxime Bernier.

Part of the two men's efforts will be to convince other world leaders to stay on side with a resolution Canada drove through the UN General Assembly in 2006, denouncing Iran's poor human rights record.

Iran's booklet signals that its president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who will also be in New York for the summit, will argue that Canada is guilty of hypocrisy.

"It may well (win Iran support), and Canada will have to stand in the General Assembly and explain its position," said Max Morrison, a former Canadian diplomat at the UN who is now president of the Canadian Institute of Strategic Studies.

Canada has long led scrutiny of Iran at the world body, but tensions between the two countries erupted after the 2003 torture and murder of Iranian-Canadian photojournalist Zahra Kazemi in an Iranian jail.

Really, anything I could say would only detract from the hilarity. XD

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

What about YOU, Mathias? What do YOU really want? - Morden

Egads, a Babylon 5 reference! Poor Londo. :( No Mr. Morden, I will not tell you what I want, what I really, really want. Egads, Spice Girl reference! Stop me now. ;)

On topic: I hope they check those references well. It's like picking out a bad piece of rice out of 200 bags and throwing them all away, because they ALL must be bad.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

fuck it man just nuk em. cant be worse for the environment eh :rolleyes:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

From what I've heard, the Iranians love and want to be free like Americans. It's the current government that hates America with a passion. I think President Bush even proclaimed that if the people would rise up we would support them. I just hope we follow-up on the promise better than previous administrations.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

Sign in to follow this