Sign in to follow this  
Mathias

phpmyadmin copy feature hosed me!

At work, I used phpmyadmin to make a copy of a database that was in production. Everything appears fine on the surface, so I go on. I haven't touched either database since Thursday. Today, someone complained about missing orders. We compare the two databases. Both are missing orders between them and not the same one?! WTF?! All I did was a freaking copy and now BOTH databases are hosed! Of course, the backups have failed as well.

Luckily, I should have a solid backup from the export I did prior to the copy, but that's still THREE business days of orders that need reentered, PLUS all of the maintenance between them. All I did was make a copy of a database and now DAYS of work by MANY people are wasted reentering data. I feel like shit tonight. :(

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

Either way, my boss is pissed and I'll probably take the fall. :(

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

Thanks for the advice. Have you had similar issues in the past?

We use phpmyadmin to support the database of our companies and customers that purchase our products.

It's happened a few times because I was careless when checking the things I wanted to export. Theres a setting somewhere in there, that when checked, will remove the fields you exported. You may have clicked on something like that by accident.

I use phpmyadmin for private use on my own server but when dealing with people that use different versions of php, mysql, and phpmyadmin I just avoid it all and pop open navicat, click on the "backup" option, and then start making any changes they needed/wanted.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

The structure was correct. There were just missing records, entire rows, from a few of the tables. The relational database probably cleaned up after itself causing more records to be garbage collected. The missing records were different between the two databases causing confusion.

Well, my export before the copy on Thursday seemed to be sound. It took me all day, but I analyzed the data and put it back together. That program was down for the day, but no one seemed to complain since I called it maintenance instead of oh shit I'm screwed!

I'll bring the program back up tomorrow and hope it works.