what do you perfer  

15 members have voted

1. 1. what do you perfer

• English dubbing
    • Japanese with English subs

a few of my friends perfer watching anime in japanese with subtitles

i really cant comprehend why

animes like berserk, gungrave, saiyuki, dbz, gundam, etc

have perfect dubbing, the voices match the look and personality of the character.

anime is not like the old kung-fu movies with the silly dubbing

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

I prefer Japanese voice actors over English voice actors and it's very rare that you'll see a good dub for the series - like FMA, Ah! My Goddess, FMP, etc.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

It's different for everyone. Normally once you start getting into subs you may find your self noticing allot of changes in voice and words in the English versions that you otherwise would have missed if you didn't hear and read the subbed version. This causes allot of people to hate the Dubbed anime. Voices that don't match the original character's when you saw the anime in Japaneses are a no no. For example the black guy in Blood+. The English Dubs made him into a jamaican guy and he sounds like a dumbass. Also almost all the guys in the show sound the same and its hard to tell who's saying what. These are prime examples of why most people don't like Dubs.

Don't get me wrong, some have really good voice actors.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Interesting enough, when I'd watch dubbed shows airing in English in India on an Asian anime channel, the voice actors sound a lot different (and much much better) than the show airing here or available here in the US. I noticed that in Inu Yasha, Rurouni Kenshin/ Samurai X, and Flame Of Recca. Somehow the Japanese voice actors emote a lot, and sometimes you need that in extraordinarily hyper/ funny characters X'D.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I watch anime in English mostly. But if it sounds better in Japanese I will watch it with subtitles. I watch Love hina in Japanese.(the English voices sound weird) Only on the internet I can't find it anywhere else. It doesn't matter I'll watch anime both ways sometimes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I watch Anime dubbed. I don't see the point in watching Anime subbed. Listening to an Anime character speak in Japanese I find is just weird. Only time I do prefer Sub over Dub is when it's a movie like Pan's Labyrinth.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I prefer to watch anime subbed because I can't stand American voice actors (and to this day the only series that have had good dubs have been Cowboy Bebop, Slayers (yes, I found the English version to be better then the sub), and Escaflowne (both versions are good, I just prefer the English dub). About the only good dubs outside of those are the Miyazaki films (Disney has done an awesome job dubbing these)). Theres just something about watching anime dubbed that rubs me the wrong way (could be that I started watching anime subbed and just can't stand English VA's).

A lot of people prefer Japanese VA's over English VA's in anime because the Japanese VA's are able to portray the characters better and bring out more emotion. English VA's normally sound like they have no idea what they're doing, the same actors are overused (the English VA pool is extremely limited and you're hearing the same people over and over with little variation in voice), and a lot of the time they just can't portray the character.

I'll watch either though. Pending on how I view the anime for the first time generally cements what version I'll like better (take Cowboy Bebop, both tracks are good but I prefer the dub because I saw the dub before the sub. Same for FMP, watched the sub first and can't stand the dub).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

I prefer to watch anime subbed because I can't stand American voice actors (and to this day the only series that have had good dubs have been Cowboy Bebop, Slayers (yes, I found the English version to be better then the sub), and Escaflowne (both versions are good, I just prefer the English dub).

A lot of people prefer Japanese VA's over English VA's in anime because the Japanese VA's are able to portray the characters better and bring out more emotion. English VA's normally sound like they have no idea what they're doing, the same actors are overused (the English VA pool is extremely limited and you're hearing the same people over and over with little variation in voice), and a lot of the time they just can't portray the character.

sing it bruddah;)

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I agree with Strider. :nod:

btw, Chris Patton does a good job, the few series I've heard his voice in have never sounded so similar that I say, hey, thats Sousuke's voice in FMP.. but then again, I haven't watched most of the animes his a voice actor in.

Also, I have a tendancy of associating 'english dub' with 'edited' DBZ, Sailor Moon, One Piece. All were so edited, that they can't/couldn't be released in unedited english versions on dvd without re-dubbing the entire unedited series. Granted DBZ has come out unedited on dvd and I guess they went back in and added some lines here and there, but I've still heard the newest DBZ releases still have editing done to them.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I think Edward from FMA doesn't sound as whiny when he speaks Japanese. Plus I find myself laughing half of the time because the series is in Japanese, the show is watched in the U.S., but the plot lands us in Germany. Go figure. :?

Gundam Wing I like in English. Heero sounds yummier in English. So does Milliardo. ^_^

Sailor Moon. . . it doesn't matter what language, she's always annoying. XD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

D_Marx

I like subs better.... When I first watched Spirited Away it was dubbed.... About half way through the movie my sister and I couldn't take Chihiro's stupid little whiny voice anymore (made us despise her like crazy since it made her really bratty-like) and restarted the movie in subs. We started watching the movie dubbed first because a friend was over and she wanted the dubbed version....

I guess I prefer subs because when they pick the voices for the characters it matches better but when the English voices were picked, usually it's a horrible match or it changes the character completely. Like in Kare Kano, Arima sounded all sweet and shy in Japanese but my roommates were watching it in English when I came downstairs and I seriously thought it was a completely different anime since I couldn't place the characters for a brief moment. He was a complete jerk. It was so odd watching it @-@; I had watched it before they did so rewatching dubbed was really weird and creepy...

Although I have to admit there have been several animes that the voices match up to pretty well. Why can't they all be like that?? -_-; Is it really that hard to find voices that work well with the characters?? O-o

~*~*~Kanie-chan~*~*~

When watching subs, I tend to stare at the bottom of the screen so that nothing gets by me. I am very neurotic when it comes to making sure I've heard/read every word spoken. This makes watching the anime itself very hard because I'm too busy staring at the text to see what is going on. Therefore, I find it a lot less stressful to watch the dubs. I haven't come across a really bad dub yet, I guess I'm fortunate.

Mayor Quimby: I'll admit I used the city treasury to fund the murder of my enemies, but as Gabbo would say, I'm a bad wittle boy.

When watching subs, I tend to stare at the bottom of the screen so that nothing gets by me. I am very neurotic when it comes to making sure I've heard/read every word spoken. This makes watching the anime itself very hard because I'm too busy staring at the text to see what is going on. Therefore, I find it a lot less stressful to watch the dubs. I haven't come across a really bad dub yet, I guess I'm fortunate.

I used to be like that too, but after so long its like I can absorb the entire screen and words into my vision all at once. The only time I have a hard time with the subs is if the fansub group used a crappy font or bad colors. That and sometimes I'll come across a scene in an anime that has so much text in such a little time I actually have to pause it to read everything. but usually thats because the sub timing is off. O_O;

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

How can you try series like Hayate the Combat Butler or Lucky star with dubs? most humor from these series are related to their Seiyuu, Like when Nagi goes Shana... or Maria into Suigintou/Meer, Heck Konata even went Haruhi once in Lucky Star...

[sigpic]

I think Edward from FMA doesn't sound as whiny when he speaks Japanese. Plus I find myself laughing half of the time because the series is in Japanese, the show is watched in the U.S., but the plot lands us in Germany. Go figure. :?

Gundam Wing I like in English. Heero sounds yummier in English. So does Milliardo. ^_^

Sailor Moon. . . it doesn't matter what language, she's always annoying. XD

I entirely agree with that, but Naruto's voice actor in the english version drives me mad, I prefer the Japaneese version for Naruto.

Don't expect too much. I change my mind a lot.

Don't keep making me repeat myself! It's not good for my health!

-Duo Maxwell

one of these days, those companies will spend as much time and money getting good voice actors for animated series as they do for movies. seriously--animated movies have great voice acting and games are getting better and better. But I think what needs to happen is that American companies need to realize that not all animated shows are on the level of spongebob squarepants.

But can you save me? From the ranks of the freaks who could never love anyone...

I agree, and comparing the voice actors to spongebob squarepants makes a good deduction of thier stupidity when it comes to some of voice actors they choose for anime. Anime is on a whole other level, that is why they should have fans like Sledge or Lady choose the voice actors; you know people who are on a whole other level of intelligence than the ones who choose the voice actors of anime in America now-though I do like Vic voice acting for Ed and the voice actor for Vash, whose name escapes me.

Don't expect too much. I change my mind a lot.

Don't keep making me repeat myself! It's not good for my health!

-Duo Maxwell