Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Voltron live action movie in the works?

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/11085.html

Just as the success of 300 has led directly to the green-lighting of the long-gestating Watchmen movie, so this summer's superb box office performance by Dreamworks' Transformers will likely provide the impetus to get another live action film of a 1980s cartoon series to the big screen. Variety is reporting that New Regency (Mr. & Mrs. Smith) is "close to a deal" with the Mark Gordon Co. to create a live action version of Voltron: Defender of the Universe. The 1980s Voltron cartoon was based on two anime series, Go Lion and Dairugger XV. Media Blasters has been releasing the original Voltron cartoons in box sets (the 4th set is due out on Sept. 25th, see "Voltron Set 4: Red Lion") that have been extremely successful (see "Voltron Blows Away Invader Zim").

Justin Marks has written the screenplay for the Voltron live action film, which is set in a post-apocalyptic world where five survivors band together to pilot five robots, which can combine to create the giant robot Voltron, the only weapon capable of defeating the aliens that have invaded and nearly conquered the Earth. Marks is also writing scripts for a live action version of He Man and the Masters of the Universe at Warner Bros. (see "Silver Pushes He-Man Movie") and a DC Comics-based Green Arrow film, Supermax (see "Goyer Sells Green Arrow Flick to Warners"), at the same studio.

Think a live action Voltron movie will be better than the Transformers one? :P

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I just hope it doesn't turn into a rip-off of the Power Rangers series, which was a poor rip-off of the original Voltran, which apparently was a rip-off of some other series. Oh well. Can't be worse than the original He-Man live action movie.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

*pat pat* Strider, we're in the same boat on Transformers.

I read about this last week, who knows how good or cheesy the movie'll turn out to be. Nowadays, if it's glossy, it'll sell and make money.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I just hope it doesn't turn into a rip-off of the Power Rangers series, which was a poor rip-off of the original Voltran, which apparently was a rip-off of some other series. Oh well. Can't be worse than the original He-Man live action movie.

none of those series ripped off anything

power rangers was just the US name for the Super Sentai series....they spliced a lot of original US footage in but about 90% of all the action scenes were original japanese footage and just dubbed over

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

I don't think you can have a bunch of robots combine without it looking corny so, no, the live action Voltron movie can't be better than the live action Transformers movie.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

Spiderman, Batman, Superman = Will cast All white heroes created in West

Dragonball, Voltron, Robotech = Will cast all white heroes created in East

What's wrong Hollywood? Ran out of ideas? Be creative and make movies like you use to that people actually want to watch. Don't base-reboot-remake-sequel-prequel everything else sheesh.

yougorelena_slippers.jpg.c0d3609d8437d663780655f59789e591.jpg

Dragonball = Will cast all white heroes created in East

Huh? Grampa Gohan, Chi Chi, Master Roshi, Mai and Yamcha are all played by Asian actors. Piccolo, Bulma, and Goku are not. I don't think Goku should be asian anyways, he's not suppose to be like everyone else, he's suppose to be an alien.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

^ Those characters you mentioned aren't my definition of heroes, but I always thought Goku and Vegeta looked Asian. I can't complain much about Voltron and Robetech's main characters, except Minmei, because their looks are based on white people, as long as actors resemble the characters they play, which white Goku doesn't, adding that those Asian actors playing minor characters also look horrible (really bad casting generally - just like Toby Maguire will be Rick Hunter).

I don't think Goku should be asian anyways, he's not suppose to be like everyone else, he's suppose to be an alien.

Goku is suppose to be a monkey as far as a Chinese folktale goes where DB was based off from. Goku was given a Chinese name, and pulled it off pretty well believing he was an Earthling because he looked like one. Just like Superman who was an alien, was given a Western name and he pulled that all White/American boy image pretty well, too. So I don't see why super/heroes has to be..or most 99% of the time has to be played by a white actor.

EDIT: I just googled. Hikaru Ichijyo is the real name of Rick Hunter..There was a room for Asian to play as a main character but another one slips away. There are variation in Asian looks too so it wouldn't have been too difficult to find someone who resembled him.

Edited by slippers

yougorelena_slippers.jpg.c0d3609d8437d663780655f59789e591.jpg