Sign in to follow this  
DeathscytheX

Dynasty Warriors Gundam: Demo Hands-On

Ok, It came available on the PSN today so I downloaded it to see what it was all about.

Keep in mind that I have played the PS2 dynasty warriors and one of them on 360. In my opinion, They are mediocre hack and slash games that have a basic and redundant combat system that stays the same for every game. There has been no attempt to update the game with a more advance fighting system... at least put some combo's in there or something.

Anyways. I boot it up and as with most demo's you can only select the main mode of play. You can actually choose between the english and japanese VAs. Some planet is on a collision course with earth (surprise), and you go to investigate what the cause of this is. The only selectable character is Heero Yuy/Wing Zero, and even more funny is that G-Gundam's own Master Asia is teaming up with you. (LMAO, oh I laughed so hard). Heero has the personality that he had at the begining of Gundam Wing, and Listening to them attempt dialog between each other is simply priceless, I can see the hardcore fanbase cringing already. There are plenty of characters that I encountered... being that I am not a gundam fanatic I didn't recognize most, there seemed to be overwhelmingly more AU characters than UC. I met Zechs who was on the opposing side, piloting the Epyon. The boss of the stage turned out to be a Mobile Doll... how lame.

Anyways, Gameplay is the same redundant hack and slash sadly. They spiced it up very little. You can thrust foward, boost up, and a combination of them both will let you fly forward for a few seconds until you overheat and are forced to walk (Wing Zero didn't even transform in flight), until you cool down. The Musou special is named something else and for Wing Zero is large blast from the buster cannon which you can directionally sweep across a mass of mobile suits or just focus it on one target if you like. He had a total of three combos as with all DW games, one just consisted of a bush of slashes with the beam saber, the next had more the same but was a bit more powerful, and the last ends with the buster cannon being separated and Heero letting off 4 blasts in cardinal directions. The level was long, I killed over 1500 mobile suits. It was fun, because it was the first level, but im sure after playing more of the same it would get old fast just like any other DW game. As I could already tell from the mission's opening moments, the story wasn't gonna keep the game going.

So in short, once again this is just another game that is more of a fan's novelty collection rather than a top notch quality game. I doubt Koei will improve the game in anyway as it seems they are content with their lame engine, and have been for the past decade. Sad really.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

They should have used the engine for Samurai Warriors. I've seen game play for DWG and it looks bad. After reading your thread my opinion stays the same lol. I hope that one day they will stop making these 1-2 player gundam games and come up with a full blown MMO like they have over seas.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

Don't know if you heard goku (and this is off-topic) the Gundam MMO is shutting down.

:( boooo, why? That's stupid. They should just make it open source then so other interested developers can keep it alive and have servers running all over the world.

sig.php

There is space fighting :P

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/873/873402/img_4636667.html

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/873/873402/img_4636662.html

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/873/873402/img_4552703.html

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/873/873402/img_4531453.html

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/873/873402/img_4531454.html

I wanted to see how it would have worked, because this would be a first for their DW engine. Unlike most of the PS3 demo's there were no unlockables for completing the only available mission. You'd think they'd unlock one or two more mobile suits or another mission or something. I guess they just wanted to be bastards about it.

I wonder why they pushed this out for the next gen consoles. In my opinion it would have been better if it was for PS2. After all the PS3 should theoretically be able to play it if it was a PS2 game.

:/ o well.

sig.php

Because the PS2 couldn't handle the sheer amount of enemies on the screen. Regular DW is ridiculous enough but this is like x5.

Like i said, I took out 1500 suits... in DW you were lucky to take out 500 people in a single mission.

so I'm late and just played this demo. I had a lot of fun playing this, probably because i'm a fan of button mashing and the DW games (haven't bought any since 4 though since it's the same story). the game play is really smooth compared to the ps2 (which sometimes lags from the sheer amount of characters). if this game was cheaper i'd definitely go out and buy it.

But can you save me? From the ranks of the freaks who could never love anyone...