Sign in to follow this  
wavedashsolar

Too many people have a problem with the best anime of all time.

Dragonball Z. Yes, we all know the story, and many people won't admit it. The fact is, DBZ was one of the most impactful animes of all time, and the storyline and suspense captured us all. Whenever you bring it up however, you get laughed at. Not like I watch the show anymore or anything, but give respect where it's due.

DBZ is underrated. Agree?

i agree, but it has the pokemon stigma:

Everyone liked / loved it when it was new, revolutionised animation that people liked.

but after a long run, it becomes trendy to dislike it,

same thing happened to pokemon

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

yo

I happen to like db

n if anyone gives me shit.... :kame:

fuck off

:meh:

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I liked it first... but then... as the story goes on... the enemies from before just comes to life again and again and again and again and again~!!!!! X- *stupid dragon balls... X- :trying to smash them: just leave them alone will yah..???? Let them Rest In Peace~!!!!* X- hehe~ =D it might be that the artist is toooooooooooooo lazy to make a new character... ./swt X-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

~ore ga teme o bukkorosu... ~

The main problem was the dragging on. If it would have ended after the fight with Vegeta, it would have been fine. The Freiza saga was good, and probably should have concluded the series, but this is where you start to see the draging out of episodes that were unnecessary. I had a love hate relationship with DBZ, I loved the action and fighting, but I found myself pissed off most of the time that I had just watched an episode where absolutely nothing happened. Cell and the android saga was decent, but you start to wonder about the repetitiveness of finding a stronger and even more powerful enemy than the last one that was supposedly the most powerful and feared in all the universe, and then surpassing them in strength by some miracle. It became predictable, you knew that Goku was the only one that could defeat anyone because everyone else was too weak and didn't matter. Vegeta could put up a good fight until Goku came back from the dead, but everyone else could be taken out in one hit, hell Mr. Satan could last longer somehow.

Yes, I liked DBZ and watched it til the end, but do not consider it anywhere near the greatest anime of all time.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

some good points, but but i think it should have ended after freiza saga.

The SSj transformation was amazing, anything after that wasnt impressive

sigpic1620_11.gif

Bruce Campbell: '' This place has more security then the Batcave ''

I think DBZ is probably one of the greatest anime series of all time, but probably not the greatest of all... While it was long as hell, as was Sailor Moon, DBZ was so great because it got such a huge fan base. So huge it helped spark the bulk of the anime community in the US during its initial airing. Remember how many DBZ fansites there were back then? its like everyone had one.

Sorry, the series is somewhat catching, but after 30 episodes of "Five Minutes Until The Planet Namek Explodes" is too much for me. :)

I think everyone has to agree on that one. :P

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

The many episodes of just talking with nothing being done or time killer episodes just bore me out of the series. The predictability of it all was very annoying as well. The whole main guy turns good guy has been run into the ground since the anime debuted as well.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

DBZ & DB in general should have ended with the death of Freeza & Goku. After that it was the same old thing over & over again. After all these years DB is still on CN. I take that as a sign it's over-rated.

If you want to talk about Animes that were under-rated some of those are Blue Gender, GunGrave, & Wolf's Rain.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

If your referring to just the American or English speaking audience then I kind of disagree. Anything that was on Toonami at the time, I like to call "Anime awakening year(s)" turned out to be popular. DBZ just happened to be on at a good time slot and had enough episodes to keep viewers interested. Same with Gundam Wing although once it ended, to many people had higher expectations for other Gundam related series when CN started airing them and where ultimately letdown because of the order they where all played in. So do I think DBZ is underrated in USA? No, I think it was just played at a really good time when people where looking for something new to watch. It could have happened with any anime that had allot of episodes that could be played over and over again (ie. Inuyasha).

In Japan I feel DBZ had a major influence on how future manga and anime was done. Look at Bleach, Naruto, One Peace...etc All of the creators where fans of the DB anime and have even posted artwork/contributions of the show using their own unique artistic styles (there was a thread on ancient clan a few years ago where I posted a link to a blog that shows each creators artwork drawn to look like DBZ characters, its gone now though :( ).

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

goku has a lot of good points there. In fact if you wanted to say it I'd say DBZ was highly overrated in the states (come on, everyone and there Mom has seen it and talked about it to death. I was originally a fan of the series but sadly I can't watch it anymore, big muscled guys beating the crap out of each other just doesn't pique my interest anymore). With it's good time slot and episode length it was able to draw in a variety of people helping itself out in the long run and opening the doors for other anime to come to the States. Sadly goku is also on the mark with Gundam. Gundam Wing left people with a high expectation for future Gundam shows hence the reason every Gundam outside of SEED did poorly in the States on CN (though a few did pretty well, 8th MS Team comes to mind). Bad move on CN's part showing Wing first.

I blame DBZ for the boom in over length shounen anime that we've been seeing lately (the titles goku mentioned, then again shounen series tend to be drawn out too long the way it is). Toriyama has a big following in Japan and has influenced many mangakas and animators, hence why we see a lot of people emulating his works (to date my favorite title of his is Dr. Slump, beyond funny).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

If you want to talk about Animes that were under-rated some of those are Blue Gender, GunGrave, & Wolf's Rain.

Never saw Blue Gender, or GunGrave. But i did see most of Wolf's Rain. It was awsom, wish i could have seen the end. Does any one now the ending? do they ever find Paradise? What happened to Kiba, and Blue?

I never liked Pokemon. Maybe I was too old when it came out, but it was kinda creepy to me. As for DBZ, I've never seen it all. Whenever it came on, it was always in the middle of the story and I never knew what was going. Now, I don't dislike it. It's not really one I'm interested in, though, and with it being so frickin' long, I'd rather not try and watch it. That's like Naruto. I'm sure it's good, but it's just way too long and when a series goes on for that long, it tends to ruin it after a while.

I saw Wolf's Rain though. I liked it. It was rather slow for me, but it had a good story and really good characters. I just wish the plot had moved along at a little bit faster pace. *shrugs*

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

I loved Gundam Wing for the fact that the main villain wasn't a bad guy. He was actually trying to save the world himself, just in the wrong way.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

umm.. everyone has their own opinion, but I don't see that the animation is cheap at all. Its over a decade old now (1995), 12 something years almost from the original japanese airing. Animation quality has come along way since then. O_O I could go back and watch the original Vampire Hunter D (1985) and say its pretty crappy looking by today's standards, but back then it was the shit. :meh:

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

umm.. everyone has their own opinion, but I don't see that the animation is cheap at all. Its over a decade old now (1995), 12 something years almost from the original japanese airing. Animation quality has come along way since then. O_O I could go back and watch the original Vampire Hunter D (1985) and say its pretty crappy looking by today's standards, but back then it was the shit. :meh:

thats what i ment. for todays standerds it is not soo good. but yes whan it came out it was the shit.

Gundam Wing is still some of the best animation to date and it's only a decade old (and I actually find the animation quality to be better then some of todays new stuff thoug I don't like the series as a whole). Some anime just doesn't age well as the years go by so most people find the animation to be cheap (that was back in the days when everything was hand drawn, not this cheap cg (cg is good and all but you can't beat old fashion animation)).

I prefer old school animation. Some of the best shows came out in the 80's and though they haven't aged well animation wise they're still better then some of the anime out there today (Dirty Pair is a prime example. Freaking awesome show, animation is a little dated but I could watch it over and over again without caring about animation quality). It's all a matter of opinion. Some people prefer pretty cg backdrops with some hand drawn animation and others prefer the rich texture of old school hand drawn animation where the backgrounds were beyond beautiful and the characters were well drawn/designed.

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

I saw Blue Gender in this post and wanted to vomit.

Blue Gender is one of the worst animes I've ever suffered through. It was good until the half way point and then it just went completely downhill from there. To make matters worse, the ending made no sense whatsoever and brought no closure to the series. I was like.. eeeeeh wtf just happened.

I wasn't too fond of Wolf's Rain... definitely wasn't their best work... not on par with Bebop or Champloo in my opinion.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!