Sign in to follow this  
Dubird

Advice for you movie goers.

A little something I was going to post part of in the Da Vinci Code thread, but decided to make it it's own post and expand on it a bit. This is just rambling thoughts, with I hope is some helpful advice.

-------

I've learned something about watching movies over the past few years.

Don't EVER go into one expecting a lot. Go in and expect to be disappointed. That way, if you really are, you'll be a lot happier about it. Take Da Vinci Code, for an example. I didn't go expecting a huge consipircy film or anything like that. I went because it looked kinda interesting. And it was kinda interesting. (and yes, a small part of me wanted to see it b/c of all the contriversy, but i'm only human) It had some good action scenes, kinda made you think a little bit, and was a good way to kill a couple hours of time. Are there better movies? Of course. Are there better thinking movies that really stir your brain? Naturally. But did it suck badly? No, I don't think so.

But then, my standards for enjoying a movie have lowered over the years. Which is why I don't like going to movies by myself. I like being able to gripe about it on the way home. ^_^;

I think the reason for this is that Hollywood itself has lowered it's standards. Think back to 2006: how many truely original movies were there? And I mean ones not based on popular comics, games or books (not that those are bad, but just trying to illustrate a point). Compare that to 5 years ago. And 10 years ago. Granted, there are only so many 'themes' out there to tell stories about, but the ways of telling them should be unique each time. Now, you're getting more rehashing of books and comics and older movies instead of new characters, new settings, and new ideas. I'm not saying that creativity has disappeared, but it does seem to be fading a bit. Everyone is out to make a quick buck, and never mind artistic integrity or just doing a movie because it's new and different. New and different can sometimes bomb, and it seems like a lot of Hollywood is opting for the safe route.

What can we do about this? Not really anything, unless you're willing to start your own movie studio. But that doesn't mean you have to give up watching movies all together. Yes, you'll end up watching a lot of rehashing, but sometimes that's a good thing. Seriously, why do most people watch movies? To escape from reality for a while. Good or bad, a movie does that, if only so you'll have something to gripe about with your friends later. But I think a lot of people are disappointed in the movie experience because they've set their standards higher than Hollywood. And until Hollywood itself starts setting higher standards, those people will constantly be disappointed.

Maybe it's surrendering to say I've started expecting less from movies. I tend to look at the overall effect rather than nit-picking (Star Wars and LOTR are notible exceptions). If I was able to follow the story and enjoy a few things at least, I come away with a somewhat postitive impression. I can even go into bad movies and come out feeling ok about the experience, espically if I get to go with some friends and we can share annoyances later. But my point is, I don't go into movies expecting to be 'wow'ed anymore. I go in hoping for a good little escape from my reality, and in some cases, pretty special effects and good action. That way, if there's little to no plot, I don't feel cheated. In fact, when there is good plot and good character development, I enjoy it so much more because I apprecate it. So that's my advice to you movie goers: set your standards a bit lower. Yeah, maybe it is giving up, but at least I can go to the movies and enjoy myself now!

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

Ya movies arnt original anymore, its sad. Although this year should be good in terms of new stuff. For example Transformers, 300, Pathfinder...and so on.

I never go into movies expecting goodness. I go in with a blank mind, and since I dont read any of the books before I view the movie it makes the movie more enjoyable.

You bring up good points +1 for Dub

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

I have to watch/read something completely far out and unpredictable (One Piece Berserk- BSG has some good writers too!) to not know what's coming next.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Odd balls like The Machinist, V, Batman Begins, Pan's Labyrinth, and a few more from the recent past have had the effect on me where you're having dinner after the movie and you're left constantly talking about it! Otherwise, yup I crib to no end if the movie is bad or the plot's plain ol dumb. Makes you wonder why you wasted your time to even venture out in the first place. Off late I've had access to movies through downloads and it still stings when it turns out sour - because I'd have wasted time and download speed for something useless! Not expecting anything out of a movie is the best thing to do, sometimes you're left with no choice if it's a new Batman sequel or Star Wars sequel or a related series you tend to like. I've seen a lot of guys on here who like the Resident Evil movie series, heck I don't care much for them except for the fact Milla's in em X'D, but for fans, you're anxiously waiting for its release and would definitely watch it come what may. The disadvantage of how I watch movies though sometimes makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing - I only watch movies that appeal to me. And the unfortunate part of that logic is that I may miss out on movies that turn to surprise. My post is dumb X'D ... it's like saying yes and no at the same time hahaha. I wish I could say I was excited about Ghostrider or commercial projects, but I'd prolly watch those sorta movies 2-3 years from now on a weeknight with nothing to do. Before the release of 300, everyone hailed the movie and probably still do, but after its release most online critics went from a 100-95% rating to 60-65%. The new Die Hard or Spiderman or Transformers 'should' be good. I remember when Fantastic 4 had come out, I never watched it and just saw it recently and wondered what the hype was all about - the movie was just decent. Everyone has their own standards and the lucky guys are those who just wanna have fun with watching a movie, whichever one it may be. I really envy you!

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I've learned something about watching movies over the past few years.

Don't EVER go into one expecting a lot.

You're quite right. In fact, I think the same philosophy can easily be used for life in general. The secret to happiness in life is low expectations :happy:

Also, the Machinst was cooool

lightsig.jpg

I have high expectations for movies, games, etc.. and I usually end up bitching about alot of things I don't like. -_- but I actually like bitching about those things, so in the end I actually enjoy myself. X'D

I'd lower my expectations, but when the newest movies are all based on existing things like comics or games or certain genres, then as a fan of those things I expect a good movie transition.. but it usually doesn't happen so I end up not driving the 40 minutes to get to the closest movie theater. -_- If a damn theater was closer to us we'd probably lower our expectations and go a hell of lot more often and probably enjoy ourselves. But when we're stuck driving a 1 1/2 hour round trip to watch a 2 1/2 to 3 hour crappy movie, we usually just end up pissed because we wasted half a day and half a tank of gas. -_-

I like your post tho and you do make good points. I remember back in the day when new original movies were always coming out.. Independence Day, Men In Black, Jurassic Parks (those were based off books tho), and there were a bunch of other movies too. Except for all those kid movies, for the love of god, for a 2 or 3 year period every movie that came out had a child as the main actor. x_x I hated those years.

Whats funny is that I like the Resident Evil movies, not because they are based on the game, if I judged those movies on that I'd be disappointed, but what I did like about it was that they were helluva good zombie movies. ^_^ 300 looks like it'll be good and I love barbarian flicks so I'm sure it'd be worth the drive.

There are so many movies that I have low expectations for, and usually we wait for them to come on our cable's on-demand service to watch them.. like the x-men 2 and 3 movies.. I didn't expect much but it was still enjoyable to watch the movie (and then bitch about it later X'D).

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

I never expect anything good when I go to movies. I go in expecting to be let down (like LOTR, good movies but they let me down). It's very rare that I walk into a movie expecting a lot (besides the movie I mention below last one I went into expecting a lot of was Last Samurai and Silent Hill (and I wasn't let down in either, though Silent Hill has some spots that bug me)).

Last movie I went to, which was Wild Hogs, I went in expecting a lot and I wasn't let down (best movie I've seen this year and no I did not see 300 (had no desire too)).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589