Moon Doggie

Should I kill a character in my novel?

I'm writing my 3 and 2 novel this question is for the 3 novel. I'm having a difficult time keeping up with a few of my characters. I just added this new character and I can't really see him showing up later on in the story. I mean he could live with my main character but then thats about 8-10 characters to keep up with. What do you think I should do? I could kill my new character after he has served his purpose or just kinda make him ..... move to some far away place. I don't know!

kill him if it will add value to the story otherwise make him vanish, ya might want him later

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I don't know if I will need him again and I would hate to waste a perfectly good charater. *sigh* to kill or not to kill that is the question (teehee!!). The thing I 'm worrid about is my novel getting off track so the main character to revenge the death of a murdered friend (It has already been done so many times).

If I don't kill him he'll need a really good reason to show up again. Not that ''hi I'm just visiting'' crap. Do you see my problem I'm waaay to close to my characters.

Kill him if you want, there's always something called as 're-incarnation' if you choose to get him back.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Duh, why didn't I think of that..... wait wouldn't he come back as a baby and have to grow up and stuff all over again? I think that's usually how it works I think, like Kagome is Kiko's rencarnation but she had to grow up again.

Its difficult to end something you're attatched to (I never could kill Z) but there comes a point when ya say to yourself 'how much longer an I gonna keep chopping down this same fuckin tree?!' Kill him, make it fit and if you need him later I'm sure you can figure out a way to bring him back.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Okay I I've come up with something tell me what you think. Later on in the story when my main character is like going to have a kid Dax can be the guardian meaning I'll have to kill my main character (the main character in the one I was talking about is the parent of the main character in my first novel, I'm going to publish the first one I writen second, now i'll just have to edit a little).

That sounds good and as a writer myself let me add something I learned the hard way, take your time and make sure you remember what you have in mind so that you don't have to go back a rewrite something from scratch like I had to do like six times in the past six years with my 1st book.

Don't expect too much. I change my mind a lot.

Don't keep making me repeat myself! It's not good for my health!

-Duo Maxwell

You should never kill your character at the end of a story. At the beginning or in the middle, maybe, but it defeats the reasoning behind him/her if you do it without some reasoning behind it. It doesn't leave closure for the reader.

Plus, I've killed off characters before, and I almost went insane from the loss. It's not fair to lose your own characters because you're usually in love with them. I often opt to bring them back to life as though nothing bad had happened.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

D_Marx

Guest Smiley.rp

Killing him would certainly bring a twist to the story for sure. I would recommend making him part of an interesting twist, maybe part of a plan with the main character. Of course everyone always thinks the main character’s plan is going to follow out and work. Make the plan go as planed and in the midst of completion of the plan the character is struck out. This will catch the reader of his feet and will really give him a jolt. Especially if they, the reader, got linked to that specific character. Killing the character can also serve to take away an other character from the good side( making a lighter payload to handle), maybe one of the other 'good’ characters killed him. Maybe that character (the killer) was a traitor, that also adds a new twist to your story.

Then again, however, these ideas could in no way fit into the story and mashing them in would only disfigure your own plan. If this comes to be or if you find a better way to handle the situation then by all means you must. The story should be about what the author, you, thinks should happen. You know what purposes the characters serve and what uses they might add so ultimately it is your call and a tough decision to make. I hope you find a nice way to make it all fit and hope your novel is a success.

Cheers, to the next award winning top shelf novel :P