Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Merry, a final farewell *spoilers*

I know how much epples loves these threads :meh: and I just have to get Merry off my mind.

Since the sky islands it was hinted that Merry was more then their ship. Merry's spirit is their nakama. Merry and Ussop have the closest relationship. Merry was a gift from Kaiya that Ussop treasures and goes to great pains to preserve. Ussop is Merry's best friend. Merry and Luffy also have a special bond, Luffy is captain and friend. Luffy is hangin out with Merry every time he sits on her head.

The G8 story wasn't the greatest but I did like the way they showed the fuckin beating that Merry took on the shoals. As if being launched into the sky and dropped again wasn't enough(Luffy get the octopus out of your pants) they have to rock the ship off the shoals with an impact dial. Oh the horror. By the time Merry gets to Water 7 and Franky tosses Ussop in the water the hull is compromised and the keel is busted in the middle. Another bad bump and Merry is going to go down like the Titanic. (Titanic went down by the head- the bow of the ship filled with water and the ship snapped in half.) Of course Ussop knew/expected Merry was fucked.

Poor Ussop got jobed over hard in Water 7. Got his ass beat and the money for Merry got stolen. The bomb is dropped that Merry is done and as captain Luffy makes the only dedcision he can, abandon ship. Ussop sees that like leaving a nakama alone to die. Luffy sees it that if don't leave Merry they'll sink and probably die. They have to leave Merry behind and continue on toward achieving their own goals. Ussop was quick to challenge Luffy and Luffy was up for that fight. They were both fighting for their nakama, someone had to stick up for Merry and Ussop did. Luffy just wanted someone to beat the crap out of him for deciding to leave a nakama behind. Luffy cries when its over the weight of the captains burden is painfull, it just cost him 2 dearly loved nakama. He leaves Merry with Ussop to let him deal with her 'final hours'.

Franky is the one who provides Ussop with a little enlightenment. He confirms for Ussop that it was Merry's spirit that fixed the ship so they would make it to safety. Ussop lost Merry and became Sogeking to participate in the saving of Robin. He couldn't save Merry but he could try to save Robin. When the fuckarow becomes a fuckaree and they're all about to die at Enies Lobby they still have one more friend among them that wants to do their part to save Robin, Merry shows up. Ussop hears Merry first of course and Merry calls them to her Merry saves them one last time.

I don't think Merry will be them much longer, a ship in that condition will sink. Now that Merry has been totaly personified I hope that she will have a say on where she will come to her final rest. (They should make a monument out of her in the shipyard at Water 7) ;)

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I'll prolly cry watching the eps. It will prolly be just as 'rip yer heart out and throw it on the floor' as the shit w/ Robin and her mom.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Sign in to follow this