Sign in to follow this  
gokuDX7

plug and play issue

I just got a Adaptec external USB 2.0 HDD kit. I did everything the readme said and for some reason Im having issues with plung and play. When I turn on the External HDD and plug it into the pc I get the install new device popup. I let it do its thing and then it pops up an errror saying somthing like this "The device could could not install. It may not work becuse the device was not installed compleatly." So I open up device manager, of course theres a yellow mark over the IDE channel device I just tryed to install. So I click update and see if it will update it. It cant, I get the same error. For shits and giggles I put in the cd that came with it thats for win98 (or pcs that dont support PnP) that dosnt work eithor.

My last step was to go to adaptec's site for help....that turns out to be shit. I go through 3 pages of crap filling in boxes and then on the last page I get errors saying my product code is not valid. They dont give an e-mail so I cant get any answers. The only thing they have in there FAQ is to try in a diffrent USB slot or try uninstalling and reinstalling it. Well I tryed all that on this PC and it dosnt work.

I then try the HDD kit on my laptop and I get the same error. This only leads me to belive that a) The HDD kit is defected or B) the HDD isnt working right. I really dont wanna send it back and wait another 10 days to recive a new one. So if anyone has any ideas what may be the cause of this or how to fix it Id be very happy.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

I have no idea what your computer or laptop is running, but any new external harddrive would be running usb 2.0, so make sure your usb slots are 2.0. Also, try a different usb cable. if you have a usb printer, swipe that cable and try that. honestly it sounds like its the cable or another hardware problem.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

ahh the fags at Adaptec did made a messup on there pdf. They say Jumpers are not needed. However they are and it has to be set to master. I had it on null. So after setting it to master it works on everything.

Thanks for your post even though I figured it out just now.

sig.php

the jumpers are always the godamn problem with HDDs XD

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

lol and the error message M$ gives you dosnt give any hints to whats the problem. "Error new hardware was not installed successfully, some things may not work" lol. I would expect at least a error number or somthing that could be looked up on the web but no. Im happy it works I think ill buy 5 more and build my self a raid XD.

sig.php

i doubt any OS would tell you that it was the jumper

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Im not saying that it should. Im just saying "Error new hardware was not installed successfully" is not an adequate answer lol. I can only imagen what would happen to someone thats never delt with a HDD before.

sig.php

if they never did then they shouldnt be getting a kit :-P

eppyomega.png