Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Giant Squid Caught on Camera!

http://dsc.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=0&cpi=30491&gid=0&channel=DSC

We started watching shark week today and they've been airing commercials for the first ever live giant squid footage! O_O I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about this until just now! You'd think this would have made national news or something. It'll be on the discovery channel this Saturday at 8pm EDT.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

You'd think this would have made national news or something.

Hmmm... I know watcha mean. I think I remember hearing about how great it'd be to get one live and on camera on a show a while back. I'm surprised a bigger deal wasn't made out of actually getting the footage. Maybe I was in a box the week it happened.

Do you think this article is about the same one?

Scientists capture giant squid on camera

First images of creature live in the wild

The Associated Press

Updated: 11:01 a.m. PT Sept 28, 2005

TOKYO - When a nearly 20-foot long tentacle was hauled aboard his research ship, Tsunemi Kubodera knew he had something big. Then it began sucking on his hands. But what came next excited him most — hundreds of photos of a purplish-red sea monster doing battle 3,000 feet deep.

It was a rare giant squid, a creature that until then had eluded observation in the wild.

Kubodera’s team captured photos of the 26-foot-long beast attacking its bait, then struggling for more than four hours to get free. The squid pulled so hard on the line baited with shrimp that it severed one of its own tentacles.

“It was quite an experience to feel the still-functioning tentacle on my hand,” Kubodera, a researcher with Japan’s National Science Museum, told The Associated Press. “But the photos were even better.”

For centuries giant squids, formally called Architeuthis, have been the stuff of legends, appearing in the myths of ancient Greece or attacking a submarine in Jules Verne’s “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.” But they had never been seen in their natural habitat, only caught in fishing nets or washed ashore dead or dying.

The Japanese team, capping a three-year effort, filmed the creature in September of last year, finding what one researcher called “the holy grail” of deep-sea animals...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9503272/

The article goes on, but it appears it happened last year. Guess, it's already been a while. Hmm...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was going to say the exact same thing (that you said it !) Sledge X'D ...

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Wah! O_O I totally forgot this was on tonight. I guess it should be starting in a couple minutes. Good timing to pull this thread up. *runs off*

[EDIT]

Well, that was an interesting show. The CG reinactments were great. Originally, I thought the photographs were pretty lame, but then they showed the CG of the squid and the camera. Since they showed some of the photographs with the CG, it put them in conext, and the photos became a lot more interesting.

The music was intense. For a documentary, I mean. I seriously felt like I was watching a movie sometimes, like when the flag went down and they were scrolling though the pics.

My favourite part had to be the sperm whale vs. squid commentary. Maybe I'm just easily amused tonight, but I found that pretty funny.

"There is no record of any sperm whale being killed (? forgot what exact word they used...) by a giant squid. And no wonder. Giant squid sucker ring. [show picture] Sperm whale tooth. [show picture]"

Okay, yeah, so maybe I was just really easily amused..

Ah, but at least I learned how to pronounce leviathan correctly. W00t, w00t! :happy:

[/EDIT]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It wasnt as wow as I hoped but hey what do you expect w/ real science :P It was pretty interisting

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

it was interesting. I was hoping they had more than photographs tho. :\ that tenticle was freaky huge and a couple of those still shots were amazing. to think that the squid was stuck to the camera for a couple hours like that too. O_O

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Sign in to follow this