Sign in to follow this  
Sledgstone

Energy Savings

I've been getting fed up with our electricity bill (according the NYSEG we used $250 worth of electricity in the month of february, wtf.). I called them to try to lower our rates or something, and they said I was SOL and sent me a pamphlet with energy saving tips. So, a couple months ago we bought 16 CFL light bulbs to replace every lightbulb in the house, lowered the temperature of our water heater, set energy saving and hybernation modes on the computers, replaced the furnace's filter more often and kept the thermostat down a few extra degrees. The result was that we only used $58 of electricity the following month! O_O The next month we've been using the computers more often (leaving them on for torrents, etc.) and our next bill came and said that we used $150 of electricity. That didn't sound right, so I looked at the bill again and it turned out that they will only do meter readings in 3 month intervals. So I'll have to wait a couple months to find out the rest of our energy savings..

We're on a budget billing, so when we get the bill, it tells us how much we used and how much we get charged for. We get charged $126 a month regardless of what we use based off our prior year's total household energy use for the year. Basically so we don't have to pay up and down prices, etc. But get this, on the third page it said that our budget billing monthy charge is going to be readjusted because our current usage does not meet up to their projected usage. We're saving money! :D

Anyone else know of any energy saving tips?

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

the big thing is that all the major appliances you use be energy star

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

We're on a budget billing, so when we get the bill, it tells us how much we used and how much we get charged for. We get charged $126 a month regardless of what we use based off our prior year's total household energy use for the year. Basically so we don't have to pay up and down prices, etc. But get this, on the third page it said that our budget billing monthy charge is going to be readjusted because our current usage does not meet up to their projected usage. We're saving money! :D

I got my next month bill! holy shit, it said we only used $35 in electricity! our bill has dropped down to $15 a month! O_O

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Keep all lights off when on the computer, except may be one LED light (white light, $20 at thinkgeek) and dim your compuer screen like 30%.

When not on the computer, shut it down along with any external harddrives, cable/dsl modems, ect.

Sign in to follow this