Sign in to follow this  
Ladywriter

Project Thin Ice

http://www.projectthinice.org/

I saw these guys on The Tonight Show a while back. I think what they're doing is really amazing. I'm all about saving a species but you wont get my ass in that frozen hell hole :P These guys must have cast iron cahoonies. I've been reading their blogs. "Out here on this huge sheet of ice, we live in our minds."

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Got this just a bit ago :

Dear chelle,

We did it! I am so proud to tell you that Lonnie and I are standing at the North Pole right now. We’ve just accomplished the first ever expedition to the North Pole in the summer. We both want to share this amazing achievement with you, because you are a part of it, and we couldn’t have gotten here without your support.

We’ve been through so much to reach this pivotal point, but at this moment, it is worth every dangerous, exhausting, back-breaking, tear-jerking moment. This is it, our moment in the snow to show the whole world what we’ve been through, and what global warming is doing to this fragile Arctic environment and the polar bears who call this extreme place home.

But while we’re celebrating this accomplishment, we can’t lose sight of our real goal for being here. Over the last 60 days, we have seen many signs of global warming, and the ice conditions have been much worse than we ever anticipated. The closer we got to our destination, the more the ice broke up. We spent more and more time in our canoes, and we really believe that we may be the first and last people on Earth who will ever reach the North Pole in summer by foot. Unless we all do something now to combat global warming, those who follow in our footsteps may not be walking at all, but may arrive here by sailboat instead. The scientists from the National Snow and Ice Data Center, who have helped guide our progress during this expedition, tell us this summer could be a record breaking year for melting ice in the Arctic.

And while we were happy to see a couple of seals, and even some polar bear tracks, we’d never expected to see them this far North. That tells us that wildlife is moving farther North in search of a cooler climate and better ice conditions, but there is nothing farther north than this, and global warming has arrived here before we did. It has been a sobering experience.

Even in the face of what we have seen, we know that it is not too late to change the course of history. Take it from two explorers who have just made history. You’ve already made such a difference. You’ve helped deliver more than 300,000 public comments to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to list the polar bear as an endangered species. You’ve helped fund our expedition, and you’ve given us the critical moral support we’ve needed to get here.

But there’s more you can do. If two average guys from Minnesota can reach the North Pole to help stop global warming, you can make a few changes in your life to make a real difference. Take a moment to learn how at http://www.projectthinice.org/you/tips.php and take your first steps toward changing the world.

Your friends,

Eric and Lonnie

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

That's really cool, congrats ! ... the website on the tips for changing the world needs a username + password although.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

now im no expert and wont claim to be and i refuse to watch the discovery channel then try and act like an expert on this however im not saying "Global Warming" is a hoax but the recent study about the Earth being as hot now as 2000 years ago makes me ask the question "There was gloabl warming 2000 years ago? because 2000 years ago if it was as hot at one time as it is today (since we broke that record we had to match it) didnt the ice melt and all that too, i mean it had too if its happening now (which is undeniably happening)

btw im not bashing these north pole people or any1 that thinks its a goodthing but straighten out for me what i asked i seriously need to know

please

It wouldn't be impossable for me to sit here and tell you all I know about climate change and the earth, it would just take an insane amount of time to type it all out :faint: There are so many sorces of information on the net and if you're off to college in the fall I highly reccomend an enviro science class.

Short answer is Yes the earth naturally moves through cycles of warmer and colder over thousands of years; a blink of an eye in geoligical time.

The problem is damage to the atmosphere and enviroment caused by human activity is excellerating the warming process. What's wrong with it being warm right? Glacial and polar ice is melting way faster then it would ever in any natural situation. It's not a problem limited to the poles and the fauna there. Too much fresh water in the salty oceans disrupts the natural conveyer belt that warms the northern hemisphere- where most of the worlds food is grown. Imagine Iowa or one of those big time farming states with no summer growing season. Getting hungry yet? Rising sea levels and worsening storms will force hundreds of millions of people and animals away from costal areas.

take a peek http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount_classics/aninconvenienttruth/trailer/

Learn a little on your down time. Google rapid climate change, learn some stuff about the oceans and the effects we're feeling now due to global warming, check out enviromentalist and govt sites. After a 15 year campaigne of misinformation fed to us by big oil and our govt the truth and the facts are finally reaching the American ppl. Educate yourself about this shit now my young voter ;)

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

hm ok i see now

i was thinking the term global warming was a first time thing and were the root of all evil but now that i see its natural and were just fuckin up the natural process its clearer

they made it home!

HOME SWEET HOME

It’s been 2 months since I first wrote to you that Lonnie and I were going to attempt the first Arctic expedition to the North Pole in summer. Two weeks ago, we made it! You’ve been with us every step of the way through what has been a long, hard journey. I’m happy to tell you that I’m writing you now from the comfort of home, here in Minnesota. We arrived home two days ago, following what could have been a life-threatening - given our location and circumstances - back injury for Lonnie. Many of you who have followed our expedition, have read in our blogs that Lonnie’s back was progressively worsening, and the physical demands of the expedition were taking a real toll. Fortunately, we were able to safely exit the ice. Lonnie has been under doctor supervision and is expected to make a full recovery.

Our expedition may be over, but the fight to save the polar bear has really just begun, and I hope you’ll continue to be a part of the work that Greenpeace is doing to save this magnificent animal and its habitat.

In just five months, we’ll know if the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will list the polar bear as a threatened species because of global warming. More than 13,500 of you helped submit comments, and we’re eager to find out the outcome of all of our efforts.

We’re grateful you’ve followed our journey to save the polar bear, and we’re looking forward to following your continued efforts to carry on the fight.

Your friend,

Eric Larsen

A very tired Arctic explorer

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Me wonders when you're going up north for yer very own expedition, Lady ^_^. Offtopicish, what do you think it'd cost to go out like that, for a month ?

Artic gets warmer and warmer each year, which means it's throwing away all it's animals, while others are entering the region, making it even warmer. The eco-system change is the threat. Moreover, if those rich corporates or NGO's can help with climatic preservation, more than half the battle's won. The other half would depend on us, the globe, using the resources we have in a non-abusive manner.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Sign in to follow this