Sign in to follow this  
Pchan

Restart ... not again !

Ohhh man, it's been really frustrating. Every now and then my computer restarts on it's own. This morning I lay in my bed and smiled because I was glad my computer was on all night with it's downloads on and stuff and right then I heard the restart beep. Bluuuuuudy. Anyway, it happens a lot, whether the machine's idling or I'm watching something / running a program like Winamp.

Is there some XP security issue that I need to tweak a lil or power saver thing ? I have no clue. I need it to stop. Yelp. The machine runs on 128 RAM and XP.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I had that happen to me a lot this past semester. It was terrible. There was no way to prevent it. I have a Dell with Windows XP, and eventually, they came out and replaced the motherboard and it hasn't done it since. I assume it was a wire that had come loose somehow or something. Of course, something else might be causing your trouble, but it sounds awfully familiar.

Tellah2.jpg

Awwww man, I really hope it's got nothing to do with the motherboard *sniff*. Right after posting on here I went in the hall, had dinner, watched some tv and when I got back, the computer had restarted and was waiting for me to log on to Windows.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

The same thing happened to me a long time ago. You should be able to fix it by doing the following:

Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System > Advanced Tab > Startup and Recovery Settings button > Then under System Failure, uncheck "Automatically restart" then click OK.

Hope it works for you because hardware problems are almost always costly. :crap:

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Ya do what Sledgstone suggested. Also if your windowsXP hasnt been updated in a long time I belive there was a problem a few months back that restarted your computer if it wasnt patched. Might wanna check and see if theres any new updates for you.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

It could also be a problem with your powersupply, if all else fails you may want to take a look at that, or your heating system. If your fan is broken on some systems your machine will re-start when it gets to hot (like my laptop).

Everything everyone else said is just as likely--my motherboard replacement came after they checked all the previously mentioned problems, and tried all the previously mentioned fixes. So hopefully it's a less serious problem for you. =)

Tellah2.jpg

also...are you insane? i dont even thing 128mb of ram is even the min for XP anymore isnt it 256? XD

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

Heh Eppy, XP's eating into all the speed and resources of the computer, platform-wise, but still everything's running, uber slow ofcourse.

Hmmm come to think of it, I had a faulty powersupply and fan replacement 2 months back, so I, atleast hope, that that isn't the problem *shrugs*. I'm going to try out Sledge's advice right now and restart in a bit *cross his fingers, toes and everything crossable*