Sabe

External Hard Drives

Before I get to the meat of the matter I have to say...wow. This is my first personal post in the Computers section...:shock:

Anyway, I know that several memebers keep ExHD's for one purpose or another, and I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best one to get. My purpose is strictly for the storage of DL'ed anime(now that we have links for sites, I want One Peice and Naruto :bigthumb: ). What does everyone think?

"There's no such thing as can't. You always have a choice."--Ken Gor, Ying hung boon sik II

[sIGPIC]Dattebayo!!![/sIGPIC]

Thank you to everyone who has ever made me sigs, you are all wonderful!

I use western digital and I haven't had a problem yet. The usb 2.0 connection is pretty damn fast too. You can watch the anime right off the harddrive and you won't get any playback issues. The same can be said for DVD R/W drives too. Pick one of those up and you can burn an unlimited amount of anime on 4.7 GB disks. And playback on a dvd r/w drive is just as efficient as an external harddrive.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

You pick an external hard drive the same way you pick an internal one. They're the same thing. The only thing you need to worry about is choosing a case. I usually get mine seperatly. It's a little bit cheaper that way.

Yesterday was the deadline for all complaints!

acsig2016.jpg

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

I forgot the name of the one I saw last night but when I was at bestbuy I saw a 500GB USB external HDD for $59.99 I was tempted to buy it since it was 500GB but I didnt have enough on me so Ill go back next weekend and pick one up. Its main point was for computer backup but Im sure you can use it as plain storage. Ill get the name and post back later.

sig.php

All hail piggy, king of bacon ^)^

I forgot the name of the one I saw last night but when I was at bestbuy I saw a 500GB USB external HDD for $59.99 I was tempted to buy it since it was 500GB but I didnt have enough on me so Ill go back next weekend and pick one up. Its main point was for computer backup but Im sure you can use it as plain storage. Ill get the name and post back later.

....you know thats fucking impossible on 2 counts...1...best buy doesnt have an external HDD for that fucking cheap and 2...500 GB HDs go for $300 OEM...so you either read it as 599.99 or you need to lay off the narcotics.XD

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

bullshit it was an instore item they jsut found...500GB hds havent even been out for like 6 months yet XD

eppyomega.png

that would be my guess....it's mis-tagged....but hell, if you do happen to find it mis-tagged, get it.....they'll give it to you for that price b/c that's the displayed price....if they don't, you can make a huge fuss and complain to the managers, etc....

as for that case, i'd have to see one in person, but it does look nice....the only thing is i'd like to find one with a firewire connection.....that was an old case i had borrowed for Quakecon last year, and it was much faster than the USB2 i'm using now.....i had to replace it b/c the fuse went out.....

acsig2016.jpg

USB2 is faster then normal firewire...the new firewire is faster though its not really that big a difference

eppyomega.png

ya, my bad it was mistagged. When I went back to get it the cash guy was like that will be $270 and I was like how come it shows $60 then? And hes like one second Ill go double check. He comes back and tells me it was mis tagged but there is a sale. Its original price was $320 and now its $270 so I got it anyway.

O well that sucks hahaa I would have gotten 3 HDDs if it was that cheap.

sig.php

I was tempted too ask for the manager but I had a feeling that wouldnt help me. I have a best buy card anyway so I got some rebates ($40).

haha Id be scared if I was in a best buy and you where doing that. ^_^;

sig.php

eppyomega.png

Nice. ^_~ an extra 70gb would be pretty good, but I figure I got a good deal considering I'd have to pay shipping and then buy an external enclosure and pay for it's shipping too.. for the extra price it'd be worth it tho. I'll probably buy one of those and a seperate external case next time. But for now, I picked up my external today at bestbuy and they must have been out of the one I ordered because they upgraded me to the premium version at no extra cost:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7643071&st=hard+drive&lp=3&type=product&cp=4&id=1134698030480

It has a color wheel on the front indicating how full the drive is. X'D and its got some misc. software package with it too.

http://staples.shoplocal.com/staples/default.aspx?action=detail&flashbrowse=y&storeid=2278174&rapid=449756&pagenumber=2&listingid=-2092757669&ref=%2fstaples%2fdefault.aspx%3faction%3dbrowsepageflash%26storeid%3d2278174%26pagenumber%3d2%26rapid%3d449756%26prvid%3dStaples-070916

070916_2_S0200729.JPG

View Larger Image

Western Digital® external 400GB hard drive

Save $80

$49.99

after easy rebate

Valid Sep 16 - 22

Add to Shopping List

• 129.99 - $35 instant savings - $45 easy rebate = $49.99

Save up to 60% on select external hard drives

That has got to be the best price I've ever seen for an external hard drive. I called my local staples store and they're all out of stock and won't be getting any more. Its clearanced out so whatever the store has in stock right now is all they'll have. If anyone is looking for an external hard drive, call up your staples and see if they have any more of these left. and because its 'easy rebate' you can send in your rebate claim online in 5 minutes and get a check back in the mail in about a month or less. *dies because I missed this* :(

I'm looking into getting a large external hard drive to store family images and home videos. Of course some downloaded vids just compound the memory requirement. I also want to keep images of my computers as they have been acting up a little lately (children putting poker chips in 3.5" drives so computer thinks there's a disk to boot from doesn't help any). 720 GB should keep me in the clear for the next decade with ease.

http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/freeagent-desktop-hard-drive/4505-3186_7-32740275.html

FreeAgent Desktop - hard drive - 750 GB - Hi-Speed USB

http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/my-book-essential-edition/4505-3186_7-32640294.html?tag=prod.txt.1

My Book Essential Edition 2.0 WDH1U7500 - hard drive - 750 GB - Hi-Speed USB

I'm thinking about getting the My Book Western Digital on sale at Best Buy for $154.99. I'm a little iffy about the 1 year warranty vs. Seagate's FreeAgent 5 year warranty. The WD also sounds a little faster. Seagate cons were a couple bad hard drives and their poor customer service.

Which external hard drive would you suggest? Different deal? Keep in mind I want to keep it around $150 or less.

Edited by Mathias

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

Personally, I'd go with the Western Digital (I swear by them) then again this is also from a guy who's never used a Seagate product (I don't know I hear so many bad things about them, then again I hear the same about WD but I've had nothing but good experiences with WD drives so far (have 2 120's that have lasted me for the last 3 years and haven't gone down or anything yet).

The Seagate one will run you $167 + tax (at newegg.com and $224 + tax at Best Buy) if you order online (hence why I gave the Best Buy price also).

As I said it's entirely up the preference but even if the WD only has a 1 year warranty they are known to last a long while (plus Best Buy usually tries to talk you into taking an extra warranty on top of it with them (or so they roped me in with my laptop and my printer purchases)). Plus it keeps you in the $154 price range. In the long run I think WD is the way to go (there I go sounding like a spokesperson for them).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

Seagate was pretty good, but I haven't had one in a lot of years. I really like Maxtor, but they're kinda loud, and that's an issue for some people. WD is the best I've used, but they tend to be a bit more.

acsig2016.jpg