Sabe

External Hard Drives

i picked up a 500 gig western digital "my book" for 125$ at target when it was on sale normal price 139.99$ its usb 2.0 and its nice got that sleep black casing and goog venting fanless but it also never gets hot either and nice blue activity/power led ^_^ weeee they go on sale all the time and the prices drop every couple months so the next one i buy gonna be like 100$ muahahhaha

Chii's Boob is a Western Digital 500 GB External HD, and I think even Sledge has the same model, except that mine came with a Marimo light X'D. It's stable, quick, and amongst the top rated.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

every HD i have around me is a WD...the one i have in my lil linux comp is about...hmm 6 years old without a single problem and 1 or 2 of my externals is around 4 years old...they last...thats why they have a short warranty....just like Strider i swear by the WD brand and the MyBooks are a good deal themselves

eppyomega.png

"That fairy needs to stop shouting in my ear, or I'm going to throw her friend I have trapped in the bottle into a lava pit or something. HEY, LISTEN! No, YOU listen. If something's important, just say so without yelling at me. Or fly over to it and change color like you usually do. Just because I'm busy mowing the lawn and hoping I'll find some spare change, doesn't mean I can't hear you." - Link

We have a 150GB WD neonish external harddrive that has lasted 5 years now and still has no problem. We also had a 250GB WD Mybook that shitted out on us a little after 1 year. And now we have a 500GB Maxtor which is working great so far. It is kinda noisy and the light that blinks is bright as hell in a dark room, but the price we got for it on the day after thanksgiving sale was helluva good. I'd like to have another WD mybook because the damn thing ran pretty silent, but I'm hesitant because I've had one fail on me. After looking at reviews for the main external harddrive manufacturers, both WD and Seagate (which is the same company as maxtor), both have their fair share of complaints. I think its just a matter of whether or not you luck out with a good drive or a bum one. I remember my dad had quite a few f*cked up WD internal drives at one point. Eh, if I get another external at a store I'd probably buy an extended warranty, but usually I buy my stuff online at newegg.com or another store because its usually so much cheaper.

btw, newegg.com is usually a great resource for user reviews on any particular product.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Yeah, I remember going for Chii's Boob's model on Eppy's/ Sledge's recommendation ... it came for around $140 or something with shipping, and at a time where there weren't any sales.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

I just bought my digital camera from there ... paid 4 dollars extra for processing my order quickly, heck I had my package in a day or two tops.

I bought the Western Digital 720GB hard drive. It's preset for a MAC, so I'm currently reformatting the hard drive as Windows NTFS. I've downloaded the Windows version of the preset MAC software. I'll install the software after the hard drive is setup.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.

Which software? That's interesting cos I didn't have to install anything with my external ... is it because it's a MAC and not a regular computer?

WD Button Manager is how it reads, though I haven't used it yet. WD Anywhere Backup is an Evaluation Version. It automatically backs up selected folders from my computer to the external hard drive. I can schedule the backups or I think you can let it backup whenever it detects a change. Once the initial backup is finished it copies files over only for those files that changed. You have the option of encrypting the files or leaving them as is. Either way you can retrieve the files through the software package or access the files directly if you didn't encrypt them. It doesn't image the computer, so I would need Acronis or something else for that. For $30 it's not a bad deal if you forget to copy files over a lot. I store all of my vital files in one large folder, but I'd rather not copy the whole folder each time I made a bunch of downloads. I'm testing it now, so I'll see if it's useful.

The external hard drive was preset for a MAC. I have Windows, so the hard drive needed reformatted in a Window's compatible format such as FAT32 or NTFS. I chose the NTFS format. Of course, once the hard drive was formatted properly for a Windows machine, I had to reinstall the software since everything was lost during the format.

Understand this lad, fate is a fickle lady. Work with the hand you're dealt and you may just be able to run your flag up the pole. Don't, and well, you may just find your mast cut down.