Azrael

A question about poems...

Well, of course you know that in writing, technically anything is 'alright'...:P...but if I were to define referencing dreams, it'd be as "poetry kitsch"--something that will appeal to the general mass of readers, but it's definitely not avant-garde or original. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to make dreams unique and un-tacky within writing, so maybe the fun is simply in trying to discover what those ways are...

Tellah2.jpg

Okay, thanks.

The problem, more specifically, was that I dreamed I was trying to analyze some old German poem...and then I wrote something down later and a part of that poem fit pretty well, but it completely doesn't make sense to be in another language unless you knew it was a reference to something else...which it really isn't, since that "something else" doesn't exist. I didn't want to put it in English though, because it doesn't really stand apart like I want it to then...so, yeah. Maybe a better question would be, is it in poor taste to switch languages like that in a poem if you're not making reference to a pre-existing work? ^_^;

elephantConnection400.jpg

Not necessarily, poetry is writing and whatever you feel is best is probably best, go with your intuition. I would stick with what you originally had planned, and if you doubt that it will work seek help from professionals or published poets, that's all I can really say. I am a poet but this is something I can't help with much, all I can do is give some suggestions.

Don't expect too much. I change my mind a lot.

Don't keep making me repeat myself! It's not good for my health!

-Duo Maxwell

Wow, this is old. I wonder if you're still even curious about this...

Okay, thanks.

The problem, more specifically, was that I dreamed I was trying to analyze some old German poem...and then I wrote something down later and a part of that poem fit pretty well, but it completely doesn't make sense to be in another language unless you knew it was a reference to something else...which it really isn't, since that "something else" doesn't exist. I didn't want to put it in English though, because it doesn't really stand apart like I want it to then...so, yeah. Maybe a better question would be, is it in poor taste to switch languages like that in a poem if you're not making reference to a pre-existing work? ^_^;

Anyway, I don't think it's "in poor taste." If you're including a large chunk of text in another language, it's probably going to appear daunting and off-putting for casual readers who don't speak both languages. Typically, a few words or a line in a different language is fine, so long as it isn't totally arbitrary (which would make it seem pretentious.)

You could always included the dreaded footnote, though, if you're really worried it won't make sense...dun-dun-duuun.

Tellah2.jpg