Ladywriter

garden outta control

I really need to get out there and get more done -_-;

I still have A serious amount of diggin to do and bulbs that need to go in now >.<

just thought I'd share a lil

*sorry, I think my camera is dieing -_-;

post-3-135551580583_thumb.jpg

post-3-135551580601_thumb.jpg

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

I got patches of various plants (foxglove,lambs ear, lemon balm, cosmos, spmint) bigger then a kitchen table. almost the size of queen size bed. I fattened up the garden earlier this spring cuz I knew it was going to need room. a lotta shit got bigger then I thought it would in just one summer. so I started moving shit. I gave tree a big chunk of yarrow, but I still gotta move some of that shit from where it is cuz I got roses that need more room.

i have the mini roses like crazy out in the main bed. red pink purple yellow O_O and they are just thriving out there. and the deer leave em alone! :happy:

I started moving plants aka expanding the garden -_-; I had to move a grape, blueberry, strawberry, 2 chunks of the lemon balm, mums, two clematis and I moved a Rose of Sharron out there and it bloomed for me n everything :happy: I already have the bed made fer sledges peppers fer next year :meh: I stuck a hydrangia in (white flowers) and have a lotta bulbs to go in. tulip, allium, chrocus,some other flowers I cant remember -_-;

I have 8 Dahlia and a 3 or 4 Caladiums to bring in. and six of those Dahlia are going to have to go somewhere else next year cuz theres no room for em where they are -_-; which means I still have to make new beds for them -_-;

yar

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Take some more pictures!

When my letter reaches you, please don't break the seal
Just wait a little while, give it time to heal
And I belive you'll understand that this is my last and most loving request

at least weeds arent a serious problem

they shouldnt be considering I weed w/ a shovel instead of a puny spade -_-;

new empty beds wont need mulch cuz they'll all get a turn over b4 spring planting and that will take care of the weeds.

for now weeding and makin the new beds are at the top of the 2do list

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

my back yard is slowly dieing, we're getting cold snaps down here in MD. 1/2 the garden is going to die today in the cold and the rain cause of the hurrican left overs.

But gardening is better than mowing now isn't it lady?

everyday I wake to a better dream and every night I don't want to sleep for I don't want to leave that day dream

I walked out to the garden a couple of days ago.

For the most part, all the grass and mulch was covered with a layer of snow.

The stepping stones had warmed up enough in the sun to melt off all the snow so they were all wet/dark.

A lot of the perennials are still standing, though they've died back for the year and are dried up. The lemon balm finally died back, but a lot of it was burnt by the frost b4 it gave it up for the year. Some of the leaves are almost black. The andromeda is still green, but everything else is wheat colored. Even dead the garden still looks pretty.

So, anyway, I've decided that aside from what I already have to go into the new beds, I want something that will have winter color. Probably Heather, I have Mexican heather out there now. It got pretty big before we got snow so I'm pretty sure it was well established.

The garden is up for some changes this spring. Its way too small the size it was last spring. The center bed with all the stepping stones will be primarily for my mini roses, there is also a huge patch of foxglove that I put back there from my plant in the front. There has to be at least 20 of them. It would be amazing to see them all blooming at once. Probably not this year, but maybe next. There's some red poppy, lupine that I really hope lives. It was lookin pretty sad there for a while. The lemon balm, the yarrow, all the other miscellaneous plants. I liked having the herbs in there too. I'll put in some more roses in, some herbs and a few marigolds and orange calendula for color and to keep the deer out.

the southern bed in the back will have leggier plants. Different mints and more yarrow. It's more of a deer barrier bed then anything else. It's closest to the trail opening and the woods. I'll throw in some tall flowers and be done with it.

The west bed chaos/cosmos can just stay cosmos. There's no point fighting with these damn plants. I had some of them over 10 ft tall by the end of the summer. Nothing can really compete with the cosmos for light either so I guess they can just have the damn bed then!

I started moving some of the lemon balm out of the east bed. There’s other places I need it to keep the deer out and that bed was beginning to look a lot like a cluster fuck. After the Iris in that bed are done I'm weeding and moving some plants. I'm not totally set at what’s going to replace the lemon balm, probably something that is attractive to butterflies.

Where the orange day lilies (I usually call them Tiger Lilies) they are now the back of a mum bed. I'll stick a few more baby mums in there in the spring and throw in yellow and orange calendula. Everything will even out in height.

There is a new bed where I transplanted a rose of Sharon late last summer. I have a dahlia that flowers like the ros that I will put in there and I'll put some blue lobelia in there for ground cover. Then I'll have the red white and blue patch to the garden.

I moved 2 clematis into their own patch and gave them something to climb. They should get full sun for the most part. I think one of them is red, but honestly I can’t remember what color they are. Oh well, it will be a surprise.

The strawberry, blueberry, and a grape got moved and the only one not lookin sick before the frost was the strawberry. The damn deer chewed the other two so I need something to keep the deer away that won’t compete with the frigin strawberry for room. Maybe rosemary.

Before I had to stop digging I was working on 2ish fairly large beds. They will be primarily full sun and with the room I need these beds will almost triple the size of the garden I already have a few things planted in what’s been cleaned out. A hibiscus, some other mums, white Echinacea, purple Echinacea, a black locus tree, a few other things. These beds have to be huge; I have a lot of stuff that has to go in there.

I have 6 or more dahlia that need some wicked room. They got giant last summer. I had flowers bigger then my hand. I have a lot of perennials to start from seed. Most of them I'll grow in patches together so they can establish themselves this year. Hibiscus of a couple different colors. Those will defiantly have to be started inside. Larkspur of different colors, veronica w/p/b, delphinium pastels, more red oriental poppy, 2 kinds of nasturtium, rudbeckia (black eyed Susan) chrysanthemum carinatum, hollyhock, purple Echinacea, sunflowers of various size and color.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Well, to be honest, it looks pretty okay-ish to me. You garden isn't all that bad looking PLUS it's lush green !

Man, it took me 10 minutes to read your last post Lady and boy, I feel a lot more cleverer now :happy:. At the same time, it reminded me of the garden I have at a hill-station. Everything I bring from the city, plants, flower-plants, trees, etc. always die because of my care-taker. It's wierd cos instead of taking care of em, he always kills them. Bluuuudy.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Beats me ! If I'm there for more than 5 days, I could actually witness the mastermind (my caretaker/mass plant murderer) do his work :( ....

But he's kinda cool. His name's Shankar and he's 65. The stories he tells are really laugh-worthy and full time-pass kind. The last time I went, he said that the dog (the one at his place) had been attacked and taken by a tiger, who he chased for a good 8 miles and threw stones at *rolls eyes* ... see, this's what I was talking about ^_^.

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Jezus Janie that is a lot. When will you be able to get outside to work in the garden?

When my letter reaches you, please don't break the seal
Just wait a little while, give it time to heal
And I belive you'll understand that this is my last and most loving request

I'll have to start some seeds indoors in Fed, hopefully by mid April I can resume the digging -_-;

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

*sigh* it makes me feel better to look at pics of my cute lil garden as I sit here surrounded by snow -_-;

I miss green

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers

Mid April ?! That's really far away from now .... But, do plants die off because of the snow ? I'm figuring they could and most probably would because of the lack of sunlight. But then again, there're plants who can handle the summers and those that can handle winters, like a Christmas Tree ^_^

quite a few of her plants will survive the snow. they just stay dormant until spring. all the fox glove, clematisis (sp?), a bunch of others.. hopefully the grape plants will survive, they were pretty young and some deer ate some branches off of them before winter hit. :\ oh, and the hens and chicks will actually continue to grow underneath the layers of snow. they're cute! ^_^

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

most plants either straight up die or go through a dormant phase once we start getting frost at night. Frost is generally what kills the plant. It burns the leaves, killing them and that suffocates the plant. Usually its end of September or October, but I still had annuals (plants that die and don't come back) growing well into the fall. It was fairly mild here right up until December.

Decidious trees (trees that lose their leaves) most shrubs and the grasses all go dormant in the cold. Some shrubs produce their fruit in winter as apposed to summer. Christmas trees and other evergreens are conifers, they have needles instead of leaves that stay green year round. There are a couple of spruce trees in the yard taller then a 3 story building.

gallery_3_22_21209.jpg

Look at the flowers