Myk JL

Windows 11

I feel indifferent & have questions like...

1. Is Windows 11 going to be free like Windows 10?
  2. Should I be disappointed I backed Aya Neo months earlier?
  3. Is this why there's talk about Gabe Newell making Steam Machines Pals?
  4. Why does Windows 11 sound like a late April Fool's prank?
  5. If Windows 11 is real will it also have that stupid weather gossip button that was added to Windows 10?

Here are some links...

Windows 11 - Wikipedia

Microsoft Windows Event - Watch the June 24 LIVE stream

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

I hated that weather gossip widget thing, I disabled that thing immediately.

I hope Windows 11 will be a free upgrade like Windows 10 was. They might force an upgrade fee onto everyone because profits but if they're smart they wont because of their app store. Windows 10 has been an amazing OS for the last handful of years. Unfortunately Windows 10 support will now end in 2025. wtf.

https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-support-is-ending-in-2025/

I remember when Windows 10 came out, Microsoft wanted everyone to upgrade to it and it would be the last version of Windows and from that point on it would be updated indefinitely. Back to the app store thing... Google's Android OS gets huge OS upgrades with new versions and doesn't charge phone or chromebook users a fee for upgrade, same with Apple and their OS, but phones end up being replaced every couple years while PCs can chug along for 5-8 years+ potentially. But Windows 10 has an app store, much like android and apple. The OS for the other devices get free upgrades because those companies want people to keep using their app store because they get a huge cut of all app store and in app purchases. I personally don't use the Windows app store, but I'm sure alot of people do. When a big OS upgrade comes out, all new apps have to support the new OS to be listed in that version of the app store and eventually those apps will stop supporting the old OS long before official support has ended for that version. So if Microsoft wants to keep racking in cash from app store sales, they should make it seamless and give everyone an upgrade to the new OS. But Microsoft might just say to hell with that and go for the big cash out up front by forcing everyone to buy the upgrade. But if they do that then they'll be shooting themselves in the foot because alot of people won't upgrade their OS, they'll end up having security issues out the ass again like when nobody wanted to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8, and they'll loose app store revenue. Also, I'm sure Windows 11 will have some sort of "anonymous and targeted user data harvesting" to sell for ad revenue that Microsoft will be able to make an ass ton of money off of because the US has no privacy laws outside of medical records and all our data is an entire economy of money to be made for big data.

A couple more links I found interesting:

Why Windows 11 will likely be a free upgrade:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/why-windows-11-will-likely-be-a-free-upgrade/

And on a side note, Nvidia still supported Windows 7 & 8 which surprised me since I thought they stopped supporting them a few years ago. Turns out they will stop supporting those OS on August 31 2021. This news seems to coincide with the news about Windows 11 coming out and I'm sure Nvidia and other GPU manufacturers have already been having access to the new Windows 11 to ensure their video drivers work flawless on it.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3621704/nvidia-ending-support-for-windows-7-8-and-older-kepler-gpus.html

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

On 6/18/2021 at 8:51 AM, Sledgstone said:

I hated that weather gossip widget thing, I disabled that thing immediately.

It kind of grew on me until News Sources I hated circumvented me blocking them by being from around the web. I ended up turning off the Open On Hover option so now I only see the weather & temperature.

On 6/24/2021 at 10:33 PM, Sledgstone said:

Old PCs that are 32bit will not be eligible for the upgrade:

PC Health Check for me says, "The PC must support Secure Boot." It makes it sound like my PC is missing a certain program, but won't send me to it.

Those who fight deplorables should see to it that they themselves do not become deplorables.

8 hours ago, Myk JL said:

PC Health Check for me says, "The PC must support Secure Boot." It makes it sound like my PC is missing a certain program, but won't send me to it.

I haven't tried the PC Health Check on my pc or laptop yet. Turns out windows 11 also requires TPM/Secure Boot. It should be in the bios but some motherboards don't have it. I'll have to check mine, hopefully they have the setting available. If yours doesn't check to see if there is a firmware update for your PC or motherboard. I had to update the bios firmware a couple times for my PC over the last couple years. Just be very careful updating that firmware, if the power goes out as the update is happening it'll brick your PC. Bios updates are fast and only take like a minute and then you need to reboot the PC but that one minute is the most stressful to me because it could screw everything.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-11-tpm-requirements-workaround/

https://www.howtogeek.com/737171/how-to-fix-this-pc-cant-run-windows-11/

I use Driver Booster to update my drivers:

https://download.cnet.com/Driver-Booster/3000-18513_4-75992725.html

But make sure to create a system restore point before you update drivers in case something screws up. A system restore point doesn't fix a bios or firmware update tho but it will roll back other drivers. Also, if you have a Dell, Sony or another name brand pc, you can go to their site, search for drivers and most of the time they have their own software that will scan your PC and give you a download list of drivers to update. Sometimes windows update will have these drivers as "optional updates" so you can check there to but windows update won't always have all drivers listed there.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-leaves-computers-out

Update (6/26): Since we originally published this article on Friday morning, the situation has gotten more opaque as Microsoft spokespeople have said that, if a CPU is not on the company's compatibility lists, it may not work with the final release of Windows 11, even if it otherwise meets standards. Also, the company edited a document which had said that TPM 1.2, rather than the newer TPM 2.0 would be acceptable so that now only TPM 2.0 is mentioned.

So this TPM crap is going to screw me out of the upgrade. My PC and our 2 laptops do not have TPM chips. We have everything else including the secure boot, but this TPM requirement seems like complete BS to me to force people into buying new hardware. They should do a software workaround for it, but I doubt they will.

Edit:

So unless my pcs get a firmware update to their bios to emulate a tpm chip then I won't be getting windows 11. On a side note, some pcs have a slot on their motherboard where a tpm chip can be bought separate and installed... and those are already being bought up in mass by scalpers to be resold on eBay. Of course.

https://www.windowscentral.com/psa-scalpers-are-hoarding-tpm20-modules

Edited by Sledgstone
Update

I still don't have my AyaNeo Retro Power yet. So I still doubt it can run Windows 11. Right now I expect I'll be replacing my Desktop with a Laptop by 2024.

(Or not depending on scalpers.)

Another Microsoft Event.

Microsoft – Watch the September 22nd event