Sledgstone

Star Wars: Knights of the old republic - Remake - Rumor

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-rumored-to-be-in-development-at-ea

The latest rumor indicates that a new Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic project is underway at EA and it looks to, "integrate elements from the first two games in order to bring certain things into the current Star Wars canon."

A remake could be good if it's done right. But those games were so huge it'd be a bigger task than remaking Final Fantasy 7. Meanwhile I still haven't played the second KOTOR game. ^_^;

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

You're not missing much with KOTOR2. It's not terrible. But it was rushed to release so a lot went unfinished and unpolished. If they Andromeda it, they'll be screwed. If they Fallen Order it, it will be amazing. They really should leave the story alone, bring back all the old VAs, and just make reimaginings of all the planets.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I don't know, I thought KoToR 2 had a better story then the first one. Yea, it's obvious it's rushed (and you can mod it to make it closer to what it was supposed to be) but I thought Obsidian did a rather good job with it (even if I still haven't beaten it, god damn you for being OP Traya).

Honestly I just wish they'd leave the old, good games alone and focus on making new ones. Plus don't fuck with the story, the new canon is fucking shit so don't try to muscle this into the new canon. The way the story is is just fine, no need to change things around. The only other thing is who'd be remaking it? If it's BioWare I'm out. They've fucked up way to much in recent years to even be trusted with their own original game (I have slim hopes for DA4 and the recent rumors of a new ME, that studio is not what it used to be and should not be trusted with triple A titles anymore). Obsidian would be the only other choice but they're focused on their own shit right now (especially with the success of The Outer Worlds).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

If I had to guess, it would be Respawn/DICE LA collaboration. Fallen Order has given Zampella a ton of power at EA. He put everything on the line for a single player experience. Now that he's taken over DICE LA, they'll either rebrand or merge with Respawn. It could go either way. KOTOR happens so far into the past from the canon series/movies there is no reason to change the story at all.

That scares me. Granted Fallen Order exceeded expectations and is probably one of the best star wars games to come out in years (I go off of what you and everyone else says, I still haven't played in and probably won't as I do not like that game play style) but it's not a single player, story focused RPG. It's a Souls-like action game with RPG elements and that's a different monster. Granted they could completely blow out expectations and create a hugely popular and great game but I just don't see it from a studio(s) that are FPS focused entities who have only recently been branching out of their comfort zone.

Who knows though. There's been rumors of a 3rd KoToR for years and while a remake seems more likely to happen I just don't ever see it becoming a thing. I mean TOR is still popular enough to bring EA plenty of money and it's basically just KoToR Infinite. If they went with a remake it might spell the end of TOR as it wouldn't mesh with the current take on the game (and would suck, TOR is slowly dying so it is inevitable but I'd hate to see one of the last things BioWare did right go to shit because they want to remake the original two games).

At this point everything should be scary when you can't even trust established developers in their respective genre to make a complete and satisfying game. If I had to choose between Bioware and Respawn though, I'd choose Respawn. If they can go from FPS to 3rd person action/puzzle game. I'd have more faith than Bioware making something better or even on par with the original. I'm sure they'd consult heavily with Bioware either way.

I could be completely wrong though. I mean they just put out Fallen Order, so I doubt they've been developing a KOTOR remake for any lenght of time for this to be news. It would still be or just exiting the concept stage I'd imagine. It could be Bioware, their burning trash pile of Anthem is almost a year removed. What a dissapointment that was. The gameplay engine was absolutely phenomenal... and that was it once you got past the campaign.

Well you do have that complete Anthem overhaul to look forward to if reports are right about them reworking it from the ground up (what good it will do who knows). Honestly Respawn would be the better choice between the two since BioWare Austin (makers of TOR) are pretty much a skeleton crew at this point and they couldn't be repurposed for a new KoToR at this point (I mean they're barely pushing out any significant updates for TOR outside of rehashes of old events, the reason why I'm currently not subscribed anymore (until the next big content patch hits where I get my hands on my long vacated Dark Council seat)).

I would assume Respawn is probably working on the next hush hush title (I mean they're currently working on the VR Medal of Honor and I'm sure the constant updating of Apex keeps them busy). I would assume we see another Titanfall game from Respawn before another Star Wars title or even a sequel to Fallen Order. Then again with as greedy as EA is I wouldn't be surprised if they hand over the story focused SW games to Respawn after there hit.

We'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully, if the rumor proves to be true, the devs stick to the story and spirit of the original KoToR's and deliver just a complete remaster instead of a complete remake. I doubt it though since I'm sure Disney will put their foot down on keeping it true to new canon (I mean EA has the game license but Papa Disney holds the license for everything so it wouldn't take much for them to pull it if EA said no, no one fucks with Papa Disney (even terrible Uncle EA)).

Edited by Strider Hiryu
My thought process sucks right now >.<