Sledgstone

Playstation 5

^ unreal. i just read it on yahoo news. ppl cant find nintendo switch either for months. look at sweden, they dont care and news says they developed herd immunity and doing just fine. elitists are crossing the line here. even if things go back to normal today, it could take years before i ever get to play one since i wasnt even going to preorder. 👎👎

yougorelena_slippers.jpg.c0d3609d8437d663780655f59789e591.jpg

Not bad. I thought it was going to be $599 like the PS3 was initially. I bet with MS releasing the Xbox prices first Sony had to stay competitive.

In a kind of related note:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/krisholt/2020/04/16/sony-ps5-production-report/#28d072426685

Sony may make fewer than 6 million PlayStation 5 units in the console’s first year, according to a Bloomberg report. It’s said to have told assembly partners it’ll make between 5 and 6 million of the consoles in the fiscal year ending next March. Sony sold 7.5 million PS4 units in the first two quarters that console was available. It went on sale in November 2013.

I think Sony will purposefully gimp it's production for the first year because of the launch prices. To mitigate their loss per unit they'll say its a supply issue, but after the first year the components will drop in price and they'll start a larger production since they could make more money then. Its a gamble for them.. if we get a situation where everyone is flipping them on ebay for $700+ for the first 6+ months it'll cause alot of rage.

EDIT:

Actually I read that article a couple days ago.. looks like it might be false:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/sony_says_troubled_ps5_production_rumours_are_false

Interesting. If sony can pump out 11 million units then we shouldn't get any ebay flipper bs.

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

6 hours ago, Sledgstone said:

Interesting. If sony can pump out 11 million units then we shouldn't get any ebay flipper bs.

There already is tho. I fell asleep last night from all the storm stuff and everything is already sold out. I guess preorders went live at midnight everywhere.

arkdx.png.64ca27dc941fbf5e58b02fbc705175b8.png
GET A NEW FUNK ON BEFORE YOU GET DUMPED ON!

I hate ebay flippers. -_-; I'm glad I'm not in a rush to get a PS5.

When I do get a PS5 I'll be going for that $499 model with the disk drive. Its $100 more, but I figure since I don't own a 4k bluray player and they go for about that price, I can justify paying the extra for that version just for playing movies. I might just wait for a whole other version to come out with a larger hard drive too. I'm looking forward to seeing reviews of the console from actual customers after it releases to the public. Any youtubers that get free review consoles before release I'll assume have to have their review approved by sony and are basically long sponsored biased ads.

8 hours ago, DeathscytheX said:

There already is tho. I fell asleep last night from all the storm stuff and everything is already sold out. I guess preorders went live at midnight everywhere.

Actually quite a few retailers had it live after the showcase yesterday (Target, Walmart, and Best Buy all had them live shortly after. Most of the streamers I follow were getting there's shortly after. Amazon was the only real hold out and that shit went fast (especially everywhere else)).

Honestly since I'm not getting one of these until late next year at the earliest I'm not worried (no way to swing it financially this year, not with getting the Collector's Edition of Cyberpunk ($274) and pre-ordering the LE Violet Evergarden boxset + the mini-movie (which I was happy to find out was being released as well)). Happy they settled on a $499 price tag as that'll make it easier for me to get one after saving some money (I might have a job but I'm only part-time and I barely get 30 hours a week atm (at $14 an hour, fuck if that's not a kick in the balls and a non-living wage up here)).

large.bloodborn.gif.63e152c6830b8c58a589

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/11/05/playstation-5-launch-day-ordering-update/

No PS5 will be in stores on launch day.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/5/21551165/sony-ps5-playstation-5-no-m2-ssd-expansion-launch

Sony confirms the PS5 won't support SSD storage expansion at launch.

Sounds like that limited hard drive space will definitely be an issue at launch.

So not only does it barely come with enough space for maybe 5 games worth (I'm thinking next gen titles, as it stands now Modern Warfare in its current iteration (both Warzone and Game) takes up over a quarter of the 825 gigs the PS5 is launching with) they're not supporting external options. Good god as much as I want one they're making it really hard to give up the PS4 or just moving entirely to PC gaming.

Fucking christ when will console manufacturers get with the times and launch with at least a terabyte as standard (if not more). Before it's said it would not jump the cost of the console by much (a decent Samsung SSD with 1 TB of space is $119). Really glad I decided to wait on getting one now (and will now wait until external storage is an option and if it's not I guess I'm not getting a PS5).

Now it looks like the ps5 won't support playing games from USB SSDs either. According to their blog all ps5 games must be played off the internal ssd only. Wtf. I'm definitely waiting on buying one until a new slim version comes out with ample internal storage.

Yeah I figured that was just a given. That's the unfortunate cost of proprietary hardware. But I'm wondering if they locked it out, of if you really can, but the game will be in an unplayable state because of how the internal SSD works with the system. The console is designed around no load times. If the external SSD can't keep up, it will cause issues. I'd expect approved 3rd party SSDs down the road. I doubt we'll ever see more than a 2tb internal on a PS5.

Then they're going to lose a big market of gamers if they're not willing to increase storage limit sizes or do away with this retarded limitation of not allowing games to boot from external drives (SSD or otherwise). Designing a game to run on only one set of hardware is short sighted and extremely stupid (I point you to Stadia) especially in a day and age when game sizes are growing exponentially and storage sizes aren't.

Then again I'm old and I like the way things used to be. It's why I still fight the move to digital only games instead of releasing physical copies (still a retarded process that fucks the gamer over more than most realize), why I hate current day RPG's (real time is shit, turn based will always be superior), and why I don't like this. I guess if they can't figure out how to make it work with external drives I'm out this and every generation to come and will just stick with PC where I can have as much space as I want and can afford (and still run a game off the primary SSD).

I'll believe no load times when I see it and I'm pretty sure a PS5 won't be the first thing to do it.

And that's the issue. Us old school people are just going to be left behind. It kinda kills me. We really don't matter as much anymore as we did in the PS2/PS3 days. Everything is a battlepass now, everything is a service. We won a small battle against DLC... but it just got subverted into something else. They won't lose anything for refusing to increase the storage limit size honestly as long as 3rd party externals eventually work. It will be just like this gen. The generation after us is one of supreme entitlement, and they're good with getting screwed over as long as they have mom/dad's credit card.

I've found myself playing way more single player games this last gen than when it was 360/PS3. I despise BR games, but every shooter wants to go that route. I hate it so much. Battlefield was ruined for me personally and it was the originator of "BR" without a single life. Digital Only will be a reality eventually. Gamestop is on the brink. I know people like their physical media. Me... thats one thing I've gotten on board with. I'll just buy digital.

I like that they're moving to SSDs, but leaping straight from standard hard drives to a proprietary only SSD was a stupid choice I think. They should have just gone with standard SSDs and locked out all non SSD external hard drives. It would have been more user friendly and everyone would still have significantly faster loading times compare to the PS4. Oh well. Sony will have to make storage expansion a priority at some point. Until then I have a huge backlog of games to play through on PC and PS4.

And single player games FTW. Uncharted 4, God of War, Tomb Raiders, Last of us 2, Final Fantasy VII remake, Ghost of Tsushima (I still need to play this one), just to name a few, so many great single player games this generation. With the huge sale figures some of them got, I hope the trend continues. I hate all these live service games, battle royals, etc. I don't have time for that crap any more.

Even with a normal SSD they still would have probably had size issues. They took a gamble to do something different... almost a Nintendo gamble. We'll see how it plays out. Xbox isnt much better, seeing as their expanded memory costs as much as the console just about. Until PC becomes a legit threat to consoles, they have no reason to play nice with the SSD drives unfortunately. Outside of exclusives the biggest drawback to PC is the cheaters... and the great thing about a lot of crossplay is you can toggle PC users off and just play with Xbox and PS players.

Maybe we'll get there one day.

Yeah single player games have been more appealing to me the last couple of years. I hate to say it. It makes me kinda sad when I try to play a mutliplayer game and just don't feel it. I liked Modern Warfare but found myself not really enjoying it after an hour or two. I use to play MW2 and BF3 pretty much 15+ hours in a day if I didn't have anything to do. I guess its the part of getting old.

Sadly PC is a major threat it's just they don't see it yet (I used to be one of those "PC gaming is dying and will never threaten consoles" stans for many years but once I bought my PC I've come full circle). With Gaming PC's becoming more affordable every year (hell you can get a decent one for slightly more then what you'll pay for one of the new consoles that you can continually upgrade beyond the life of a console as long as you're case can support the upgrades (as well as your wallet)) and the major tech advancements only PC's are seeing (console gaming is far behind tech wise and will only continue to be) it's only a matter of time before Sony and Microsoft start shitting themselves due to their shitty practices (it won't happen anytime soon but it will happen). As you said the only issue is cheating but if all you're looking for is to play multiplayer games and you don't want the hassle stick to console, single player games are just as good if not better on PC (what with mods and what have you). We're honestly at the point where a console is just a severely hampered gaming PC with, at any given time, tech that's 1-2 years behind current PC's. I digress though, PC gaming isn't the subject here.

Honestly my only gripe has been why do they keep doing this shit? Storage tech keeps advancing and keeps going down in price, there's no call for using a smaller storage device just because you want to "eliminate load times" with a much faster version of what you can get on the open market (and as I said you will never eliminate load times, you can hide them with fancy UI elements and what have you but never fully eliminate them (current tech does not support this and won't until quantum computing becomes a thing)). While the current generation of gamers currently don't give a shit about this they will once they realize they can only have less than a handful of games on their console to play. Not all of them just play one BR/FPS, they play multiple and I don't foresee them being willing to constantly delete and re-download a game to play it and until all internet infrastructures support fiber speeds for an affordable price streaming games isn't exactly viable (something Stadia ran into and besides the lack of games is the major reason the idea flopped hard).

As someone who plays pretty much solo games only I just can't support this move (the only games I play that can be considered multiplayer are FFXIV and my mobile games, otherwise everything else is solo based). If fucks my ability to play multiple games at once without having to constantly uninstall and reinstall shit (it's the major factor behind why I bought a 2TB passport for my PS4). Then again I'm just a literal representation of the "old man shaking fist at sky" meme.

I now take my leave and thank you for attending my TED talk.

Maybe Sony's user data shows the majority of players install a single game, marathon and play it to completion and then uninstalls it to never play it again. If thats the case the smaller hard drive may not be as much of an issue.. I'm not one of those people tho and I have another person using the console to. I love single player games but some have become too long.. like Last of Us 2 literally took me a month and half to beat, 45 hours. I was very busy for that month and a half so I didn't have much game time, but after I while I was starting to get burned out playing in small chunks so I threw a different game on here and there for 15 minutes increments or so. Sometimes I might have a couple games like that going or lady might have a game or 2 installed as well, so PS5 only having that amount of space will leave me almost always on the edge of running out of space depending on the size of the games. I bet families that have 2-3 kids all wanting their own game on the system for when its their turn to play will be the biggest issue with the hard drive size limitations. I'll get a PS5 eventually with a larger hard drive in it. I still love console gaming, its convenient sit on the couch and play.

But I will say my PC is becoming my goto gaming system more every day. Especially since I stream my games straight to my 4k tv with surround sound. Steam Link app for android is amazing, the nvidia shield makes the games know its hooked up to 4k and surround sound. Very user friendly. I've been using my xbox 360 controller or my wireless keyboard and mouse with a lapdesk to play games on my tv like it was a console for just over a year now. I can hook up my ps4 controller or an xbox one controller with blutooth no problem too. What does urk me more than anything is the consoles not having full digital backwards compatibility. I own all the Final Fantasy 13 games on ps3, I've been wanting to play them.. but they are locked to my PS3 thats in another room and the controller isn't the best. But if I bought those same games on PC, I could load them up right now at max settings and stream them right to my living room and play them with a ps4 controller. Meanwhile ps5 comes out and says "no, you can't play those ps3 digital games on the new console." Ok... so when ps6 comes out and they say I can't play my ps4 digital games on it, what motivation do I have to keep buying their games when I can guarantee you that every pc game I buy now I will be able to play for basically the rest of my life on any new pc I own. In the end its coming down to the library. I own a lot games in my own personal library. When a new console comes out and says I can no longer access that library on their new systems that aggravates me. Other people will say, "its a new system, buy the new games." Sure... but I actually still enjoy playing old games. Not necessarily full on retro games all the time, but theres a crap load of games out on the market that are great and still being sold to this day that were originally released over a decade ago that I still want access to without having to buy them over and over. Oh well, I've said this complaint plenty of times but I don't think Sony cares about it anymore. They just want to sell their own version of google stadia with their PSNow subscription. Yeah, no thanks Sony.

8 hours ago, Strider Hiryu said:

I now take my leave and thank you for attending my TED talk.

XDXDXD

my brother manage to order it XD trying like 6 - 8 different sites at the same time as soon as it started and the whole process took him about an hour. he said he had his card info ready and kept refreshing bc checkout pages continue to reject/disappear really fast. he thinks bots were spamming orders so it was really difficult but he had his luck with sony bc it requires psn id. he tried to order it for me too but he couldnt. its okay, im not in a hurry, but it wouldve been nice to try out. besides i retired my 10+ year old pc just last week and replaced it with a new one so i can wait longer

yougorelena_slippers.jpg.c0d3609d8437d663780655f59789e591.jpg

Just a heads up for everyone with ps+.. if you don't have a ps5 yet you can add the free ps5 games to your library so you can have them for when you get a ps5. But Sony updated their Playstation store website recently and only Microsoft edge browser seems to work correctly with it. Google Chrome and Firefox blank out the area on the site that let's you add games to your library.

20201112_174310.thumb.jpg.1b2379cdeed00b001ad36a872a0f8ebe.jpg

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/bugsnax/

I heard the new Playstation app works for adding to library to.

12 hours ago, Sledgstone said:

What does urk me more than anything is the consoles not having full digital backwards compatibility. I own all the Final Fantasy 13 games on ps3, I've been wanting to play them.. but they are locked to my PS3 thats in another room and the controller isn't the best. But if I bought those same games on PC, I could load them up right now at max settings and stream them right to my living room and play them with a ps4 controller. Meanwhile ps5 comes out and says "no, you can't play those ps3 digital games on the new console." Ok... so when ps6 comes out and they say I can't play my ps4 digital games on it, what motivation do I have to keep buying their games when I can guarantee you that every pc game I buy now I will be able to play for basically the rest of my life on any new pc I own. In the end its coming down to the library. I own a lot games in my own personal library. When a new console comes out and says I can no longer access that library on their new systems that aggravates me. Other people will say, "its a new system, buy the new games." Sure... but I actually still enjoy playing old games. Not necessarily full on retro games all the time, but theres a crap load of games out on the market that are great and still being sold to this day that were originally released over a decade ago that I still want access to without having to buy them over and over. Oh well, I've said this complaint plenty of times but I don't think Sony cares about it anymore. They just want to sell their own version of google stadia with their PSNow subscription. Yeah, no thanks Sony.

As someone who loves going through their collection and playing old stuff this is one of the major things pushing me toward PC gaming (besides the above and a few other reasons). Ok I get it, PS2 backwards compatibility is out the window. I can live with that. My PS2 still works (though it is showing it's age, wonder if you can still find a relatively new (and still working) PS2 Slim anywhere for a decent price) and I can still hook it up and play my old games if I want but when you won't even allow your users to play games from two generations ago, bought digitally on your platform, it's getting bad. It's also bad considering you want to push gamers to digital only without giving them access to already purchased games (sorry, licenses. Another reason I hate digital only (console wise, I'm okay with it on PC to an extent) is you don't actually own a copy of the game, just a license to play the game that can be revoked at any time should the developer/publisher decide to do so (another reason why I feel digital games shouldn't be priced at $60+)) when in the past we could just throw our PS1 disc in our PS2 and play like nothing had changed. Guess semi-retro gaming is something console devs just don't support anymore (and it's sad really). Granted most old titles have been ported/adapted for PC it's the principal of having to re-buy something you already own just to play it in another format that urks the fuck out of me.

10 hours ago, Strider Hiryu said:

It's also bad considering you want to push gamers to digital only without giving them access to already purchased games (sorry, licenses. Another reason I hate digital only (console wise, I'm okay with it on PC to an extent) is you don't actually own a copy of the game, just a license to play the game that can be revoked at any time should the developer/publisher decide to do so (another reason why I feel digital games shouldn't be priced at $60+))

Exactly. This is the first generation where they made a variation of the console that is digital only.. but we can't access our full library of digital purchases from that company on a single device. And I hear ya about the licenses. Along with the lack of physical media being produced and no employees having to stock a shelve, there should be discounts for digital games over physical on day one of release. At least one good thing about digital release games, regardless of licenses there will always be people making ROMs out of those digital games. Even if a company pulls a game, there will almost always be a way to still get that game on PC or android emulator boxes. There are some decent emulators I need to setup on my nvidia shield so I can play a crap load of old retro games. I've seen quite a few streamers on twitch use them so I'd like trying them out myself. I still prefer digital supported releases when they are available, I bought the Castlevania & Contra collections for steam a few months ago for $7 total. But there are so many old games that have never been re-released in a digital that it looks like ROMs are the only way to play them anymore.

19 hours ago, Sledgstone said:

Just a heads up for everyone with ps+.. if you don't have a ps5 yet you can add the free ps5 games to your library so you can have them for when you get a ps5. But Sony updated their Playstation store website recently and only Microsoft edge browser seems to work correctly with it. Google Chrome and Firefox blank out the area on the site that let's you add games to your library.

20201112_174310.thumb.jpg.1b2379cdeed00b001ad36a872a0f8ebe.jpg

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/bugsnax/

I heard the new Playstation app works for adding to library to.

Its much easier from the newly updated app. 😛

19 hours ago, DeathscytheX said:

Its much easier from the newly updated app. 😛

I just downloaded the ap. I haven't used it in years. Wow this is much much better now. :o

My younger brother has a ps5. I'm going to log in to his system and see if I can get these free games on my ps4.

Edited by Sledgstone
Added a Twitter link