Sledgstone

Switching hosts - update

We're going to move to a different host. If things go smoothly, it shouldn't take long. I'll update this topic with more info when available. Anything posted at this point on most likely won't transfer over.

Edit. 

Server move is done. Welcome to the new server. :)

gallery_1_23_1357354444_270.jpg

Well I'm pleased so far with the new host. *knocks on wood* I just need to make another account and transfer my other sites to it and I can shut down the old server. The total bill for the server fees is almost nothing in comparison to the old VPS account I was on. VPS was complete overkill now especially since the price got jacked up on it. The new server is shared hosting so I'm not expecting 100% reliability and speed at all times like the old server, but now it'll cost me literally 1/10th of the price per month than the VPS. And I'll no longer have to spend time doing server maintenance. Once I get the other sites moved over, the time and money I spend on AC can now be spent keeping the forum and theme software current at all times. Another couple years from now though I'll probably have to do some major work on Death by Gundam, Windscar and ancientclan.org archive to keep them functioning because they currently require a different version of php to operate correctly. Ehh... I'll worry about that in a year or so. The newest version of PHP installed on servers straight up break those 2 sites because of outdated php functions I used on those pages. I'll have to convert every single page to basically old school html to ensure they'll keep working. ehhhhhhh. It make sense why people will retire a website when faced with having to manually update thousands of individual files.

The server move is completely done. The old hosting account will be shut down in a few days. Some of my old sites are all broken now.

http://deathbygundam.com/

http://windscar.com/

http://ancientclan.org/

But I have the first page of them all loading fine. I could swap the version of php to an earlier version just for those sites to make them functional again, but I really don't want to run 2 different versions of php and have to keep fixing those sites incrementally. I'm going to leave them broken and maybe fix them at some point. They're all in archive mode and have been for years. The Death by Gundam and Windscar galleries are going to be broken from here on out though unless I do that php switch. I might re-upload those galleries into an some dedicated Ancient Clan galleries and then link them from those sites. Or someday manually recreate those galleries in hard html/php style so they'll be permanent. I dunno. Either way I'm in no rush to do that at all.

On a side note, no more having to do actual server stuff, yay me. :D